Article - Tommy Lee returns to DW Drums

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I always enjoyed musicians and groups who didn’t rely on looks or makeup to sell their music. The Allman Brothers’ At Filmore East is a classic example. When I saw the Crüe album cover, I never bothered to buy or listen to their music. Lipstick? WTF? This was the Hollywood machine in full function. Yes, I “judged the book by its cover”. I’m so glad Black Sabbath or Led Zep never relied on this.

ShoutattheDevilCD2.jpg

BruceW

I see your point but that is kind of my point as well. I think that everyone that I mentioned are so well known that they would and should be missed. They could all technically be replaced, there's always someone out there that could play as well as or even better, but that could be said about pretty much any drummer in any band with very few exceptions. All of those that I mentioned have reached a level of success that I think deserves respect whether they have the greatest chops or not. We should celebrate any drummer that is as well known in their band as the singer or guitar player. When Black Sabbath replaced Bill Ward for their last album and tour, I as a fan didn't support that move and didn't go see them on that tour because to me he is as important in that band as Ozzy is. I'm sure that the guy that they had replace him did a good job but to me it wasn't the same and Bill deserved to be there as much as anyone else in that band. Sorry, I'm rambling at this point. I normally wouldn't even reply to a thread like this, I would read it and move on but Coronavirus and lack of being around people have made me extremely bored!

You are undoubtedly correct, that in a vacuum, many drummers could be replaced and most folks wouldn't know the difference, at least in recorded material. And that many famous drummers aren't necessarily as skilled as other, less famous drummers. I do believe, however, that there is something to be said for chemistry between band members. That some folks just groove better with certain folks, folks they are familiar with. And that makes Tommy Lee indispensable for Motley Crue. Ringo for The Beatles. Charlie Watts for The Stones, etc...

Yeah, Tommy Lee might not be the next coming, technically. I'm not a big Crue guy, tho I appreciate the hooks, and the success that they've maintained over a great many years. To disparage him isn't fair, but then what is, right?

Lee-Bro

From an equipment management standpoint, I've found it interesting when artists change companies, what becomes of their gear from the now-former sponsor. I know some of it goes into "the warehouse," some is returned to the manufacturer as it was company-supplied backline kit, some ends up for sale at various drum shops and/or online.

TL has had some very unique and large individual drums in his configurations from DW and Pearl. Where did they go, which ones will be refurbished for the new DW deal, etc.?

Old Dog new Cans

Did Tommy actually play on that recording? And I can’t take those guys seriously. I’ve got nothing against them, but let’s be honest—they were probably not taking themselves entirely seriously either. It’s a little too over-the-top to be totally believable. Not that I have anything against them.

So you don't even KNOW if he played on it?

YES.

I played this song 100s of times in the 80s. Loved it. It was rebellious. The devil crap was shock factor like KISS and makeup, Marilyn Manson and everything he did. Tommy Lee was a huge influence to me. I loved Crue's music when I was younger. I'm not impressed with them as humans. I certainly do NOT condone beating on ANYONE, especially women. So yeah, Tommy is/was a f'n jerk. I don't really let it effect me because it has NOTHING TO DO WITH their music.

I always enjoyed musicians and groups who didn’t rely on looks or makeup to sell their music. The Allman Brothers’ At Filmore East is a classic example. When I saw the Crüe album cover, I never bothered to buy or listen to their music. Lipstick? WTF? This was the Hollywood machine in full function. Yes, I “judged the book by its cover”. I’m so glad Black Sabbath or Led Zep never relied on this.

ShoutattheDevilCD2.jpg

I'm not sure how they were relying on anything considering nearly EVERY band in L.A. at the time was wearing women's clothes and using more hairspray than their female counterparts/fans. Their music set them apart--the bands ALL had the look.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I forgot beside Heathe Locklear he married Pamela Anderson "two". His latest wife looks good from pics. So who says drummers never get the chicks?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member

ShoutattheDevilCD2.jpg
When hair metal was popular I wasn't digging it too much. I had to go back and listen to a lot of it, and I like a lot of it. But at the time, if they looked like girls on the album cover, I didn't buy it. I have lots of hair metal now.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
That phase reminded me of Halloween when a lot of the big wigs of community would dress in drag basically and sing or dance (and one year a couple played instruments) at the Halloween Carnival talent show. It was like a yearly event- I never really thought it was funny - in fact pretty demeaning but those were the times.i loved the original Allman bro band and TBH I was a bit surprised they all were just standing there in jeans and t shirts-no flash, no moves just jamming. Great. Course the audience was all standing and riveted- I could see the ? music. Funny thing about that is I had same thing happen at a Marshall Tucker Band concert. I thought it was the Allman bros for a bit- but I was a fried egg and it seemed like Deja vu. I could see the music emanating from band and bombarding us altering the fabric of space-time those two times. Must have been a x mutation where I had Superman vision. Been better if I had x-ray vision Dagnabit. Mercury can activate latent genes maybe When I ate to much Mackerel I got loaded on mercury activate the latent gene causing my temporary music vision. It all makes sense I OD over eating Saba sushi- mackerel is better raw than cooked or smoked. Just kidding! At least seeing music but mercury does activate latent genes and I love Saba

Last edited:

Mongrel

Silver Member
It's funny...every time...this comes up...I just have to chuckle...don't even have to comment if I don't want to...

Bunch of Avatars on a drum forum dissin' a guy who cracked the 1% of drummers to get their picture in Rolling Stone...

Like there is some kind of shame in that? lol

Personally I don't like the music. But all those years I spent in the basement, lousy back yards, high school stages and smoke-filled clubs this dude was crankin' it up in front of thousands of people...lol

And it comes down to para-diddles...PARA-DIDDLES...FREAKIN' PARA-DIDDLES?!!!!!

Must be the COVID fever taking over....

lol

Hewitt2

ShoutattheDevilCD2.jpg

But going back, what about Peter-Gabriel era Genesis, the New York dolls, or any number of punk bands, all of whom subscribed to a certain visual aesthetic which might equally seem ridiculous?

Deciding what music to listen based on what the band is short-sighted. MTV was huge in the 80s and there was a lot of pressure for a "metal" band to look/act a certain way to get airtime.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
I could never get into any of this stuff, really.

I guess I knew TNT well enough as they were on hit radio here at home all the time, they're Norwegian and Ronnie was kinda different. I was like 9 years old. It was a ? lready mostly jazz and big band for me, though.

When the drummer, Diesel Dahl started Tindrum I was sort of into them, but it was mostly because the bass player was dating my cousin and he was a cool guy. I got him to buy himself a Donkey Kong II.

Nothing wrong at all with visuals , sometimes they enhance, sometimes they don’t . Lots of good music and musicians had visuals and influenced today’s music . Certain music comes with a certain attitude and with it the visual aspect .

Look at country ??‍♂️. I like my country to look country

The allmans, country /rock ,.... elements of country in their look with a bit of attitude.

The Ramones,.... rebellious and dark at times with a look to match the music and time

Alice cooper, kiss , gabriel , so many others . Like em or not they all were/are talented and had/have influence, just as 80’s hair metal bands did/ do. It’s like so many other threads and discussions , it comes down to personal taste .

Back to the original point of the thread . I don’t care who he endorses or who sponsors him , makes no difference to me. But major companies sponsoring anyone shows their relevance wether you agree or not . Whether you think they have talent or not Companies act in their best interest and their bottom line.I say good for any musician ( especially us drummers) that have companies willing to give them free shit ??‍♂️. It’s not what it’s all about for sure , but it ain’t a bad thing either ?. Good for him , no problem with it , even if I know drummers who can play circles around him and aren’t even known even in their own towns . Some would say that’s not fair or others are more deserving . That’s all just opinion and personal feelings The guy can play, has a talent , worked hard, had some luck , right place right time , so many reasons??‍♂️.
I’ll pose it to people like this . ..... Your a decent player , good even , get together with some guys , write some songs , become famous make lots of money , see the world , get all the ladies, get endorsements , but you know your not the best or the worst and people say you don’t deserve it, aren’t as good as so and so , are over rated , or .... or..... or...... ??‍♂️. You know there’s better players out there and other deserving players out there even more so than yourself . What does that mean ? Who cares ? Should you give it all back ? Does it mean your not deserving ? These kinds of threads and opinions make me laugh sometimes . I don’t begrudge the guy anything. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn’t and sometimes
( as Clint says in unforgiven)deserves got nothing to do with it lol ?. But , ..... I ramble ???‍♂️?

timmdrum

Silver Member
Hes a great drummer ......most bands could lose their drummer and go on forever. Tommy is the face and feel of Motley Crue. Cant say that about aloy of modern Rock bands.
I think he's pretty good, as were all the 80s metal guys, to an extent. That said, even the other band members wouldn't say he's irreplaceable...

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I don’t understand why I’m being hazed for observing that hair bands, especially their drummers, can’t really be taken completely seriously. I mean, if they’re so great, why aren’t there NEW hair bands? Why isn’t pop metal still getting made? People are still making straight-ahead rock. They’re still making country and country rock. They’re still rapping. Nobody is making pop metal, and there are no new hair bands.

Are we really even talking about hair bands? The 80s was the decade of guitar, not drums. Nobody gave a crap about drums in the 80s. Nobody practices drum parts from the 80s.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Nobody gave a crap about drums in the 80s. Nobody practices drum parts from the 80s.

Except for the size of the kits where probably only 10% drum were actually played and 5% really needed. ?

To be honest though, some of my favourite albums are from the 80s and the drumming is pretty hip. Again though in slightly different genres.

One of the most important albums in my life from '82.

What Vinnie got away with on Nik Kershaw's "The Works" is also pretty wild. Could have been done a lot simpler, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.