Article - Carmine dishes on getting fired from Ozzy's band.

I like Carmine, Tommy, Ozzy, and Sabbath, but I like Dio's solo work more than all of them combined.

funny that it almost seemed like the 2 Sabbath albums with Dio was Dio laying the foundation for what his own band would sound like...

Sabbath, the first 4 Ozzy albums, and the first 3 Dio albums all have the same place in my heart...they were HUGE in my formative years of deciding to be a musician for a career...lots of first through 8th grade daydreaming about being in band was buoyed by them and many others...

I know Sharon gets a lot of flack rom fans for how she's treated various members of Ozzy's band over the years, but it's also clear every move had a reason behind it, as Ozzy's career has been very long and successful.

I have always thought that post Sabbath, Ozzy's claims to fame were his guitar players and off stage antics...Ozzy himself was only ever an average singer. I personally never bought an Ozzy album for the vocals

I emailed Tommy once & said the usual complimentary stuff. I went on to say he was very influential in the same way Gadd or Bonzo were to a lot of people. He replied & thanked me but was so genuinely self depreciating. Humble is not the right word. When I met him at a clinic, same thing. Polar opposite of Carmine & his me train. Tommy, despite suffering through Ozzy & Sharon, would say he was there to play with Randy.

Carmine is a great drummer of his era & played with some great bands and influenced a lot of people. He is entitled to his opinion as am I. That said, I would take Bonzo, Tommy, Cozy & his brother Vinnie way before I took Carmine.

I recognize Carmine’s status as a groundbreaking rock drummer and appreciate his contributions as a player and educator. But, it seems like he has to throw his supposed influence on Bonham into literally everything he says.

“Hey Carmine, nice weather today right?”
Carmine- “Yep beautiful day, but not as beautiful as the day I taught Bonham those bass drum triplets!”

What a minute a drummers diss anything or anybody ? that can't possibly be :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have always thought that post Sabbath, Ozzy's claims to fame were his guitar players and off stage antics...Ozzy himself was only ever an average singer. I personally never bought an Ozzy album for the vocals
Well, that goes to my point.

The fact is, technically, Ozzy's not a great singer. The selling point is his aura, the overall vibe, and the perceived larger than life personality that comes through the music.

Hence why I think Sharon is always making changes to his backing band, to keep up the aura and vibe up and prevent it from going to stale as the musical landscape changes.

Well, that goes to my point.

The fact is, technically, Ozzy's not a great singer. The selling point is his aura, the overall vibe, and the perceived larger than life personality that comes through the music.

Hence why I think Sharon is always making changes to his backing band, to keep up the aura and vibe up and prevent it from going to stale as the musical landscape changes.

....and to save money...."new" guys work cheap. And if they get the Ozzy gig, it will probably be the highest paid gig they have had, even if on Sharon's side she is shorting them. At the time, I probably would not have turned that down...

Back