Article - Carmine dishes on getting fired from Ozzy's band.

Lee-Bro

OP note: the article's editing and format leaves much to be desired.

“She goes, ‘You’ve seen Tommy Aldridge hanging around? Well, he’s starting the tour on Monday. You’re fired.’ ‘What do you mean I’m fired? I have a contract with you. Fired? Why I am fired?’

Carmine added: “She says, ‘Your name is too big. You need to start your own band. We need more of a side-man like Tommy.’

Link- https://metaladdicts.com/site/carmi...OOnCTOEGbaxQumqBR9qr484lj1zP5KwgC6Ou4qsF-Tu0o

Hewitt2

I have all the respect in the world for him as a player but in the interviews I've read he always seems to come off as arrogant and how he is the best at everything.

Not sure why he has to go out of his way to badmouth Tommy's timing here, even if true.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Wait, didn't Tommy Aldridge become Ozzy's drummer in, like, 1980? Why the fuck does Carmine still care?

Yes, Tommy was in the band for a while well before Carmine. Per Tommy, he quit after the Bark at the Moon album was recorded due to a dispute over the drum sound, and the fact that the 2nd bass drum was left out of the final mix.

Carmine was hired, then fired, and Ozzy asked Tommy to finish the tour, and Tommy agreed.

Carmine probably cares because when Modern Drummer asked Ozzy for a quote about drummers some years back, Ozzy responded with "I fired Carmine for health reasons. He made me sick"

And to this day Ozzy has never clarified what he meant by that.

Though I suspect it just was a clash of ego. Carmine admits he was selling his own t-shirts and doing events and Sharon and Ozzy felt like they were being upstaged.

But then again, Ozzy's band went through a lot of members in the mid-'80s as Ozzy was drinking heavily, and in general, being crazy. And Carmines' ego is huge.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Meanwhile Sabbath was putting out... 'music', with Dio

Uh, I'm assuming you are diriding the Dio-era Sabbath with those quotes. Dio-era Sabbath is better than a lot of the stuff Ozzy-era Sabbath put out, especially toward the end. I mean, I'd say albums like Volume 4 and Paranoid do edge out Heaven and Hell, but I'd take that over a lot of the rest of the discography.

Al Strange

I wish Carmine would stop with putting down other players. No one thinks better of him for doing it, and it doesn’t elevate him above Tommy who is a legend in his own right. I listened to an interview where he did something similar to Cozy Powell, talking himself up at Cozy’s expense when talking about joining Blue Murder. I love Carmine’s playing on that album, but the playing speaks for itself; there was no need for him to diss Cozy’s playing at all...I get the feeling Carmine’s ego doesn’t think he gets half the credit he deserves so he has to ram it down people’s throats how great he was/is and how much money he made etc.? :unsure:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I wish Carmine would stop with putting down other players. No one thinks better of him for doing it, and it doesn’t elevate him above Tommy who is a legend in his own right. I listened to an interview where he did something similar to Cozy Powell, talking himself up at Cozy’s expense when talking about joining Blue Murder. I love Carmine’s playing on that album, but the playing speaks for itself; there was no need for him to diss Cozy’s playing at all...I get the feeling Carmine’s ego doesn’t think he gets half the credit he deserves so he has to ram it down people’s throats how great he was/is and how much money he made etc.? :unsure:
I agree. Carmines a great player already. He doesn’t need to bash. I too bought Realistic Rock in 1978 like a lot of other people. Some people are just wired a certain way, I suppose. Maybe this is his way of being the “get off my lawn” old guy in everybody’s neighborhood.

I’m certainly see that in my retirement neighborhood 😉

roncadillac

Uh, I'm assuming you are diriding the Dio-era Sabbath with those quotes. Dio-era Sabbath is better than a lot of the stuff Ozzy-era Sabbath put out, especially toward the end. I mean, I'd say albums like Volume 4 and Paranoid do edge out Heaven and Hell, but I'd take that over a lot of the rest of the discography.

I was totally joking. I like it all honestly and I'm happy there was a slight change to Sabbath's music after awhile, helped keep it fresh. There isn't much I've ever listened to involving any of those guys, including Dio, that I didn't enjoy. The early Sabbath stuff was fun and raw but I do agree that the later stuff was much more 'put together' and mature.

TJK

I’ll take Cozy over Carmine any day

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I think Black Sabbath's strength is they lasted long enough they actually gained in popularity from their initial cult following. Ozzie becoming a TV star seemed to help-who doesn't enjoy him staggering around.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Carmine's official website used to have this big splash page where it would say he was before Bonham, before Ian Paice, etc...

Anyway, I'd say you are spot on.

Carmine mentioned Steel Mill, the band Bruce Springsteen fronted before going first solo and then adding the E Street Band: in case anyone's interested in hearing Springsteen front a four-piece (him plus organ, bass and drums) in a very early 70s style, something like an American Deep Purple, maybe—here's a concert they played in San Francisco which led to Bill Graham offering them a contract (which they turned down).

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
hearing Springsteen front a four-piece (him plus organ, bass and drums) in a very early 70s style, something like an American Deep Purple
It is kinda Purplish. Not as heavy though. Maybe Deep Purple Lite, or Diet Purple. Not bad stuff at all.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I think Black Sabbath's strength is they lasted long enough they actually gained in popularity from their initial cult following. Ozzie becoming a TV star seemed to help-who doesn't enjoy him staggering around.

I think it was brilliant.... BlSa and Ozzy coming to the realization that they could make twice as much money remaining separate acts rather than together.