Arm pain?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Is it muscle soreness, of so - what muscle?

Now if it's a joint or ligament, that could be from a prior injury. That would cause concern.

Don't think my arms have ever been sore the next day. It was usually the calf, ankles or the sole of the foot when I first starting intense bass drum work.

Derek Roddy had this lesson where you do a series of strokes at a high speed (180 bpm +) in 2 minute increments for 10 minutes. Right around the 2 minute mark, I get a soreness on the top of the forearm associated with using the fingers. Only last for a few seconds after I drop my stroke to 8th notes for relief.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I would say yes if you haven't played in awhile or if you've played too much over a certain number of days. My arms are always sore these days because I play 3 days a week for 4 hour sessions. Like right now my weak arm is a little sore in the tricep behind the elbow and on my other arm, the bottom of the deltoid right at mid-upper arm. When it's really bad my forearms will ache, but that went away pretty quickly.

Arky

Platinum Member
Basically pain = bad (to be avoided), while burn = good.
Check your technique (hard hitter? hopeully not - play "reasonably" - accelerate the sticks but don't play into the heads), or the sticks you're using are too heavy. Check your posture/drum setup/throne height/hihat height. Avoid any excess height/distance. This is so important.

Now if the above is ok then it might be a nutrition problem. Maybe you're practicing too much - that's another possibility. Does the pain reoccur when you're resting for 1-2 days?

I'm never getting pain from practice. Also not much burn by now, but I do feel some tiredness after a while when practicing (like usually) for an extended period, often times a few hours total per day. Typically calves, but also forearms sometimes.

Here's Derek Roddy's endurance exercises mentioned by BigDinSD:
Derek Roddys Drum Lessons & Solos Part 2 and 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPFEP_stPGI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3SLe6VjmE&feature=relmfu

Maddog57

Thanks, I've been practicing the push-pull technique by Gordy @ GK-Music.com
It makes my forearms totally spent. Also the wrists.
I practice on a pad for two hours a day sometimes 4 hours a day. I break it up
2 hrs in the morning and 2hrs In the evening.
Also I have been away for several years due to health issues. But know I'm
Back in the saddle...:)

BillBachman

Gold Member
I have to strongly disagree that "pain is a part of drumming." If something hurts then there is a better way of doing it technically. Technique takes time & smart practice to develop, but it's worth it as it makes everything easy and pain/injury free and ultimately more musical.

PQleyR

Platinum Member
I would say that some aches and pains are a normal part of developing speed and endurance, but persistent pain is a sign that something is wrong.

Maddog57

Thank you everyone for posting your thoughts!
I've looked at an considered your opinions and
Found I was playing to hard...relaxed a little and
Found the pain to settle. As far as fingers...well
maybe in a year that will settle down! Finger control
Development after some years had left the forearms
and I think the pain is normal for them as they develop!

Thank again
Great site to post
Best drumming to you all!!!!!

Joe Morris

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I have to strongly disagree that "pain is a part of drumming." If something hurts then there is a better way of doing it technically. Technique takes time & smart practice to develop, but it's worth it as it makes everything easy and pain/injury free and ultimately more musical.
Yes you are correct in saying that if that certain technique suits you. If that technique dosen't work for you and you are more comfortable playing the way you want, hence stuff like holding the sticks, your posture etc. go out the window. Lots of drummers and I would say most drummers play the way they are comfortable and sort of come up with their own technique. Now that may bring certain pain when you play or at least when your warming up. Yes you are correct for sure if your are brought up with a good technique it will go easier for you. Please remember i have been playing since age 4 and I'm 52. I did my first paying gig at age 10 so having said that the repeat motion will get you sooner or later. Personally it only hurts when i play if I dont' warm up. The only thing that will start to hurt if I don't warm up enough before a gig are my thumbs. I guess what I'm trying to say is some players play with pain. Buddy Rich did he had arthritis , max Weinberg has to stick his hands in buckets of ice when he's done. After you do it for a long time your going to experience some pain that's all I was saying. You don't have to as you stated and I totally agree with you there, but at some level pain is involved.