Are YouTube videos helping to create an ADD society?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time anyone here read a novel? I used to read several books per year. Now, my brain is sluggish at about 30 minutes in, and I look for my crack pipe. My ability to stay focused on reading one thing for a couple hours has been greatly diminished because of YouTube reading small bits.

I read them all the time. Before we had a baby I was getting through about 4 a month, now it’s 1 or 2 a month.

Perfect to read during lunch breaks and in bed each evening.

You must be a great deal younger than I. The kids I see have almost no work ethic, want raises just because "I showed up", want to be paid exorbitant amounts of money for menial tasks, and fail to be punctual. At the same time, I find them constantly not working because they "need to" check the facebooks and twits and whatever other nonsense they're addicted to on their phone. They also don't handle constructive criticism well either as they've all been told they're #1 and deserve a prize for being. 90% of them quit when they receive minor correction instructions about their tasks.
We had to change the rule about phones at work simply because these little addicts wouldn't even apply because they couldn't have their binky with them all day.
I see every year why more and more things are automated, it's becoming the only way to get anything labour intensive accomplished in a timely manner.
Huh. It might be regional or industry related. I'm 51 and work with a bunch of kids in an art and school supply retail place. One scored a couple hundred grand in academic scholarships and is a volunteer counselor at a camp for kids dealing with grief. One is a straight-A student in an environmental science program. One graduated with her BA and got into a selective entrepeneurship program. One left to join the marines last year. The only time I saw a group of young under achievers was when I worked at Lowe's and we brought in a bunch of seasonal kids who weren't prime material. But some of the adults they hired in as seasonals weren't exactly winners either.

It might be regional or industry related.
I work in a labour intensive field that involves a great deal of outdoor work in varying conditions. The summer help changes out faster than I change socks on a rainy day. The adults aren't much better lately either, there is this strange air of entitlement from people.

I read extensively: novels, short stories, essays, and even poetry on occasion. I don't do so on screen. I have a passion for print. It's a buffer from distraction. With a real book in my hand, I can deflect all interferences. I'll never own an e-reader -- NEVER!

I used to feel the same about e-readers, I hated the idea with a passion as I love the feel of a real, physical book in my hands and vowed never to have one. I ended up buying one for a long holiday so I could take more than a handful of books to read on the beach and didn't want to add them to my flight luggage, taking up valuable space for clothes/items.

I bought it planning to sell it when we got home but ended up loving it. My Kindle Paperwhite goes pretty much everywhere with me when taking a bag.

I have about 150 books on there (Amazon does daily deals with books for 99p) so I always have something to read at home, on journeys, when the time/situation allows...etc. Great to have it on me when the other half is clothes shopping, for example ? it does have a very simple Internet browser pre installed on it, but I don't use it so my attention is always on the book.

It's so convenient. Out of all the electronic devices I own it's by far my favourite and is always waiting for me on my bedside table to use (as in read!) when I get into bed.

Kindle Paperwhites are great and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Last edited:
Four pages on a thread about YouTube's styles of production? Or maybe not.

Well at least we're not on home improvement... yet.

What was that about ADD ?

I am certainly not labelling in a stereotype fashion, I am sharing practical real world experience and observation.
I don’t mean you I mean it’s a tendency for people in general to compare generations. Your comment got me thinking how we do it. My son in law gives boomers grief. I do it too- as I would get questions regarding “respect” from younger which I saw an insecurity .It’s also something earned - not just because a title. I really never worried about it . I agree with much about f your post but I’m also proven wrong at times. Sorry my bad

Four pages on a thread about YouTube's styles of production? Or maybe not.

Well at least we're not on home improvement... yet.

What was that about ADD ?

I'm chuckling that this is only your second post on a thread that you created, days ago.

ADD indeed

(?)

I don’t mean you I mean it’s a tendency for people in general to compare generations. Your comment got me thinking how we do it. My son in law gives boomers grief. I do it too- as I would get questions regarding “respect” from younger which I saw an insecurity .It’s also something earned - not just because a title. I really never worried about it . I agree with much about f your post but I’m also proven wrong at times. Sorry my bad

All generations have one thing in common: Each is screwed up in its own special way.

I'm chuckling that this is only your second post on a thread that you created, days ago.

ADD indeed

(?)
I didn't have anything to add to the original post.

P.S. New Years' resolution to myself: less computer more woodshed. Bye 'till next year y'all!

Saw the beginning of this thread and chiming in late to say:

Whoever mentioned Adam Neely—I think he's generally thought of as a bassist, or even a keyboardist, and not so much a drummer. In other words, unless I missed where it was acknowledged, I don't think Adam Neely was the drummer alluded to. I'm pretty sure I know exactly the drummer meant, and the change has been quite notable, but he's still an outstanding player and seems like a good guy, which is I assume why he wasn't named.

As for the coffee cup thing, I really thought that urban legend had long been put to rest—McDonald's was unambiguously in the wrong, but used the financial might of a massive corporation to spread disinformation. And here we are, nearly 30 years later, and people are still apparently falling for it.

And I too love my Kindle. So much more convenient, especially when travelling (not that I've done any of that in the past year), and when reading in bed. (Although I've noticed that I don't retain facts quite as well when reading non-fiction.)

I blame the advent of 2 minute pop songs in the 1950’s for reduced attention spans in the western world.

I also blame 30 second TV commercials, and the fact that they cut into TV shows every few minutes.

Nowadays I also blame TikTok.

I will admit I like my phone. I always have it. Its information at my fingertips. I no longer have to suffer not knowing where I've seen that actress before, what the name of the song is, is so-and-so still alive. I always have music if I have my phone. I never get lost (my sense of direction is horrible) if I have my phone. I can look up and filter out any news with my phone. I was able to download the repair manual for my car with my phone. If I need a tool or something I can look up where it is least expensive with my phone. It is a fabulous tool for just about anything anymore. DW is the only social thing I use it for. I dont do FB, IG, Twatter, Snapchat, or any of that other stuff. I do like Tic Tok. There is some cool stuff on it when you weed through all the teenage whore wannabes.

I keep reading articles how medical school education via online education is superior to conventional in person classroom. Personally I find that difficult to believe-though having a lot of info via online is very useful to be sure. I've only taught one totally online which was an intro bio course. I was suspect the students learned anything or if it was them who did the work. I wouldn't do it again.

As for the coffee cup thing, I really thought that urban legend had long been put to rest—McDonald's was unambiguously in the wrong, but used the financial might of a massive corporation to spread disinformation. And here we are, nearly 30 years later, and people are still apparently falling for it.

Yeah this thread is full of misinformation and unfounded 'facts' about the 'youngins' (which may include me? I'm 34 fwiw). Its the same old 'boomer' humor that's so old and worn out at this point. There are jokes that I first read about 20-25 years ago that may have given me a slight chuckle when I was 12....but at this point, it's like they're not even jokes anymore, just....sad.

We had SKITA. (Swat Kid In That Ass)
Seemed to work pretty well.

Did it? Why are so many people in therapy? Why are many adults resenting their parents?

There's a reason nostalgia uses the rose-tinted glasses analogy.

And what's ironic SeaFroggy's we are doing to your generation what the older generation did to us. ROFL. We were a bunch of lazy long haired hippies-who will never amount to anything. No work ethic- bums. I think part is the older generation coming to terms with being replaced and realizing you are replaceable and of course everything was always better "back in the day". And younger folks don't appreciate the 'struggles of the past'-I've heard that a lot. We become what we rebelled against and held with disdain-old people. ROFL. My oldest daughter is 32 and my son-in-law is 38. I think they have their act together better than her Mom and I did to be fair. I think a lot of young folks really have it together and I also think less gullible and can see through the bull crap better.

And then there is the unsustainable debt load that those of us in the US are piling up on our children. $27.5 trillion today. It was $5.2T when my 24-year-old daughter was born. A five-fold increase. We're not doing our kids any favors there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back