Are YouTube videos helping to create an ADD society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Like it or not this all started when Sesame Street aired in 1969. The format to have brief, entertaining segments to keep children focused with the end goal of education has ultimately changed the format of modern broadcast. Those children are now adults and they have become accustomed to the short segment format. While there were variety shows that preceded Sesame Street (Ed Sullivan, 1948; Laugh In, 1968; Mr. Rogers, 1968; and Hee Haw, 1969 to name a few) they did not shape and mold a generation the way Sesame Street did. Examples: most notably Saturday Night Live, newscasts, talkshows and the list goes on.

Sakae2xBopster

Parking, Just checked - it is SpotHero wraub. There is some kind of alternative for non-phone users, but it is a hassle and it is more expensive because people are involved in processing, and people cost money. Jax Beach, FL.

someguy01

Those children are now adults and they have become accustomed to the short segment format.
I am one of those children and I abhor the short segment format. I always preferred Fred anyway. The land of make-believe rocked.
You should see Dave Chappelle's bit on Sesame Street, I almost fell off the couch laughing.

wraub

A quick look at SpotHero reveals a lot of the same Silicon Valley miscreants and foreign government actors that are involved in other ventures and apps that seem dubious. If that were the offering I'd definitely be bothered, in addition to the other thoughts mentioned above.

The fact that the alternative is more difficult to use implies that they want to drive users to the app. This makes me wonder, why? Somebody is making money from it- see the potential bad actors and miscreants mentioned above.

Parking, Just checked - it is SpotHero wraub. There is some kind of alternative for non-phone users, but it is a hassle and it is more expensive because people are involved in processing, and people cost money. Jax Beach, FL.

Last edited:

jimb

Like it or not this all started when Sesame Street aired in 1969. The format to have brief, entertaining segments to keep children focused with the end goal of education has ultimately changed the format of modern broadcast. Those children are now adults and they have become accustomed to the short segment format. While there were variety shows that preceded Sesame Street (Ed Sullivan, 1948; Laugh In, 1968; Mr. Rogers, 1968; and Hee Haw, 1969 to name a few) they did not shape and mold a generation the way Sesame Street did. Examples: most notably Saturday Night Live, newscasts, talkshows and the list goes on.

And alas there we have it the same old stuck record, ie older people don't matter. Never before since Elvis Presley has the shift lurched towards the young as it does now The digital model means societal inclusion is for the young only and if u as an older person dont get it then u r basically screwed. I,m 61 and get it but my poor old dad couldnt even understand what a PC was nor how to switch it on... and he was a technical engineer and darn good at maths but it didnt help him one bit.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
alas there we have it the same old stuck record, ie older people don't matter.
It's not that they dont matter. Their knowledge and experience is invaluable. However, when their knowledge and experience no longer applies, it becomes useless. Example: a master auto mechanic from the 70s can tell you how to rebuild/tune/rejet a carburetor. No car since the late 80s/early 90s has a carburetor. Their knowledge and experience is useless today, unless you are working on an antique vehicle. Since the general population does not, the 70s master mechanic is no longer needed. Ask that same guy what a cam position sensor does in relation to a fuel map. He will look at you like you have 2 heads unless he has kept up with the technology. And that right there is the problem, at some point we stop keeping up with the technology. It isnt the younger generations fault, it is our own for not continuing to grow with technology.

JamesB_08

How about removing the cap on contributions into these programs? I have repeatedly pressed my federal representation about this issue. In addition, I want to see members of Congress not only have to also pay into these programs, but they should also have to use medicare as their medical benefits and Social Security for their retirement instead of it being privatized as it is currently.
If those things were done you would see those programs become flush with funds and you'd see more apprehension in cutting them when those that make those decisions are beholden to those programs themselves.

FYI: The cap for FICA contributions in 2020 is $137,700 ($142,800 for 2021). Above that income, you pay nothing into FICA.
I am a great idea, and who then in all areas of ssa is the best to turn for this? that is, who can start such a bill?

Otto

Platinum Member
I'm not so sure the average youth attention span IS lower than in the past.

I have yet to see a study support it...I look forward to anyone who can cite such a thing!

Elders tend to have more practice so I think we see those with less practice as deficient as opposed to ourselves being more skilled.

It seems that the lack of efficiency in communication is less tolerated by current youth...which leads to a shallow 'language' assessment of a situation by youth...and appears to have much the same effect as having a limited attention span.

I think we are at least one (De?) Evolutionary Step from our average attention span reducing as a specie...or, at least, a sad tech step such as using lead pipes to transport water to our homes ; ) Not so sure info tech is falling into this category yet.

Last edited:

doggyd69b

My question begs clarification bear with me: I was watching a video recently on Christmas carols in 15/16 ime signature presented by a bass player in NYC whose also a content creator on various platforms.
His video's on paid subscription Nebula are a somewhat traditional scholarly approach of instruction on the same topic as some free one's available to learn from on YouTube.
However on YT there are many distracting, cutesy little visual refefernces thrown in to keep the average viewer entertained enough to keep their attention and make them want to stay tuned in - enabling YouTube's computer algorithims the ability to "learn" that the time people spend on a given video means it has more value.
I'm wondering if these unnecessary visual distractions (utimately in the name of money) will become the standard to where many people simply can't learn a complex subject without an interruption every ten seconds to keep their attention.
I hear you there.. yes that will become the standard because people are becoming dumber instead of smarter. By the age of 12 I had read (yes read there was no internet in 1982) over 1000 books, I used to read one 700 page book every 2-3 days so I read all my mother's collection really fast, I then became a teenager and chasing girls and being in bands took me away from that.. I still read a lot of stuff and I still do to this day but not as much as back then.. I have met many many people who can't read a book if it doesn't have pictures on it.. I just lose faith on them immediately, and those are the people from my generation who can't read anything but comics and can't spell to save their lives.. fast forward to today's generation 30 somethings and 20 somethings who don't know even basic things like their own country's geography or history and can't do anything without looking up how to on a computer... Mind you I do computers for a living I play video games, but I refuse to become dumber because technology fosters that..

doggyd69b

I think I read the IQ of planet is decreasing-sure seems like it. ROFL that was a joke! But I actually did read it-I'll find the paper. Yep here's abstract:
"Dysgenic fertility means that there is a negative correlation between intelligence and number of children. Its presence during the last century has been demonstrated in several countries. We show here that there is dysgenic fertility in the world population quantified by a correlation of − 0.73 between IQ and fertility across nations. It is estimated that the effect of this has been a decline in the world's genotypic IQ of 0.86 IQ points for the years 1950–2000. A further decline of 1.28 IQ points in the world's genotypic IQ is projected for the years 2000–2050. In the period 1950–2000 this decline has been compensated for by a rise in phenotypic intelligence known as the Flynn Effect, but recent studies in four economically developed countries have found that this has now ceased or gone into reverse. It seems probable that this “negative Flynn Effect” will spread to economically developing countries and the whole world will move into a period of declining genotypic and phenotypic intelligence. It is possible that “the new eugenics” of biotechnology may evolve to counteract dysgenic fertility." This probably explains The Dark Ages LOL.
Or just watch the movie Idiocracy, it explains (and correctly predicts) the future...

doggyd69b

The way we interact with information on the whole is "dumbing down" society. A growing segment of the population subscribes to the belief that acquiring and retaining knowledge is a superfluous effort when the Internet allows us to access data on the spot. This misguided concept leads to two woeful outcomes:

I. Many people are paralyzed intellectually without "smartphones" in their hands. (Unfortunately, phones are sometimes brighter than their users.)

II. Data is harvested randomly and presented out of context. Verification is ignored. Thus, erroneous subject matter is treated as factual and is misapplied in turn.

This is the world, consciously or unconsciously, we've chosen to nurture. The tech industry loves it. I do not. And yes, attention spans are eroding by the second, especially in developing brains. I'm very glad to have completed my formative years long before the Internet existed.
The way I see it, the dumber everyone else becomes, the smarter I become... so I will use that to my advantage.. oh wait, I already am...

doggyd69b

There was a study done in 2012 I believe. About young people and phones/gaming, etc. Depression is way way up. No physical activity, no sunshine.

I rarely see the boys next door shooting hoops or playing football. It used to be constant. I know this year is obviously different, but even prior to that.

I completely agree with C.M.'s idea that it's paralyzed people intellectually. We don't have to read a book, or go to the library anymore. I remember being in college and HATING having to look up books and periodicals by number. Computers were just hitting it big on campus, email, etc.

But, I also find YouTube highly useful. I'm a DIY guy. I hate paying someone $85/hr for labor costs (that's probably a low end average nowadays too).
Plumbing, fixing computers, all of my drum refurb/resto-mod stuff I learned by watching YT vids. Plus, my feed has turned to me on to some music I certainly didn't know before. That's always good.

I like tech. But I also like simple. What a dilemna.
I made over $65k just by learning things from YouTube so I agree. but I use YT for both entertaining and learning, it has to be some value on what I watch, which is why I HATE reality tv, the biggest waste of life anyone can have is by watching that... now for the depression part.. well this may sound very harsh but I believe that if you think your life is not worth living because you don't have enough likes in instagram/facebook, then you must end it immediately. we don't need your kind in our planet... try growing up poor in a 3rd world country and then tell me that your cushy life in the U.S sucks..
bunch of sissies!!

doggyd69b

I'm pretty sure that if ADD was a popular diagnosis when I was a kid I would have been diagnosed. My brain constantly pulls in multiple directions at once. I read (the operation) at a very high level since about age 5, but dont comprehend what I read. I like to read. By the time I complete a book, I've probably read it 4 times. Same with movies. I have to watch them a bunch to fully understand what is going on. Sometimes I cant even keep the characters straight.

I get bored with things easily unless it is mentally stimulating. When I was a kid, I would get bored with video games so I would play them upside down to make them fun again.

When I play the drums, I also sing and watch tv. Obviously I cant hear the tv, but I still watch it. My brain is also thinking about other stuff.

Ever drive and get lost in thought, only to realize you are stopped at a light, already made a turn, and had to stop at a stop sign also? My whole life is like this if what i am doing is just an auto pilot operation. I can mop the floor and not remember doing it, stuff like that.

If the thing i am doing requires my complete attention, like using a table saw, my focus is hyper vigilant. The problem then is my mind becomes exhausted and I need to do something else.

I was born mid 70s, before YouTube. So no, I dont think it is YouTube's fault. I think the lack of attention from parents allowing their kids to do whatever they want allows kids to be lazy, watch videos all day, not exercise, and become fat. When you are fat and lazy, you don't want to exercise. You want to continue sitting down, eating, and watching videos. Everything else just sucks because it isnt what you want to do, and since you havent been disciplined to do so, you really dont bother to even try.

My parents recognized that I needed constant mental stimulation. They did a wonderful job of making sure I always had things to do that occupied my brain. Some of them I still do, like puzzles. The more difficult, the better.
It is not YouTube's fault it's the general laziness, just like Slayer didn't create satanic cults, Suicide solution wasn't about committing suicide and so on. It's the end user's fault or not for how they process the information received. I listened to death metal and all kinds of "Satanic" bands in my teen years, I was still a good student, mostly never got in fights. a good employee and generally a good person even though I never went to church after I turned 12 mostly because I hated it. but I never blamed the music I listened to or the books I read or movies I watched for how my life turned out. I could not sit still to save my life, I had to constantly move I still do of course as an adult I control it but I would have been given some ritolin or some other dulling medication had I have been raised in the U.S. thankfully that was not the case...I have a constant music track on my head which it just happens to be very detailed and for drumming purposes it helps me learn the songs without having to touch the drums and sometimes while listening to the song only once or twice.. I picked other instruments and I similarly learn them really quickly I don't know how it happens it just does... I found that my particular ADD is not hindering but the only extremes I have gone is for example when I am leaving the house I just checked that I didn't leave things on, I get in my car, then I have to go back to check again.. that is the only extreme that I have a hard time controlling...

doggyd69b

I've actually heard music teachers say kids coming out of high school are more advanced now and part of that is the internet giving them access to so much material so I don't think it's necessarily stunting development if it's used properly. I think of youtube the same as any other modern development. Some people will handle it and some people will go nuts. There are people who view a trip to McDonalds or ice cream as a treat and others who see it as their kids sole diet. I catch myself thinking the same at times, but I expect it's no different than complaints about teaching with calculators instead of slide rules. My grandparents complained tv was gonna rot my parents brains and my dad was convinced the Atari 2600 was going to ruin my life. At three, my granddaughter was using a tablet to Skype with her deployed mother, but her favorite hobby now is sculpting with clay so there's a balance.

Absolutely. Drumming, auto repair, plumbing, researching travel locations, etc. Once you learn to recognize reliable sources it can be super useful and save a bunch.
Key word RELIABLE, I have seen many videos with the incorrect info...

doggyd69b

Not youtube per se, but technology in general.

Microwave ovens mean we expect our food to be fast. We can't wait to cook it.
DVR's and streaming services mean we expect our entertainment on demand.
Hell, why even go get the CD off the shelf and put it in the player when you can just ask Alexa (or whomever) to play the song for you.

Facebook, IG, Twitter, etc all provide information in small bit size
packets, leading to people to create the TLDR phrase (which stands for "too long, didn't read, ie knowing no one will read a longer post on social media).

It's gotten to the point where no one needs to look up anything or think too hard, because you can just ask your phone to find the answer for you.

That is almost true, but I more often than not find myself looking all over the internet for answers to things that I am working on, only to find out there are none, and when I figure it out, I post it for others to find.... that has happened at least 3 or 4 times since November last year... and I am not working on extremely complicated stuff either... On demand is almost great... almost but yes I do notice that we have an instant gratification generation that needs to have everything right now and doesn't understand the meaning of the word effort. i'm glad I don't have kids, don't plan to ever have kids, I have a dog and a cat and of course a wife. all our money is for us to spend on things we want (she wants a lift kit, tires and other extras for her Jeep) I want to build a studio so I set a limit to what we can spend this year on that which is about $ 5000 each... that would not be possible had I had kids... they would be demanding to have an xbox, a computer, a tablet, dad, buy me a car, dad I need money for college... no thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.