Are YouTube videos helping to create an ADD society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Nevermind, not trying to get the thread shut down.

Last edited:

Sakae2xBopster

"I know personally, I have not been involved in any of the decision making on any of this spending."

If you have contacted your Senators and Congressperson on their overspending, great. If you have voted against them, great. If you have stated for the record what you are willing to live with--a smaller military? Smaller social security benefits? Medicare cutbacks? Higher gasoline taxes?--great. But those of us who haven't spoken up are part of the problem.

felonious69

I will admit I like my phone. I always have it.
The only two things I REALLY need my (cell) phone for are:
Alarm...to get up and go to work (Twice the power went out but ...)
Fraction calculator/converter (at work).I used to be better at it, but I have to use it all the time.
Calling my bank to make sure my check went in.
(See...that's three...revert back to calculator)

someguy01

In this thread: "rarara the younger generation sucks is lazy/addicted to phones/ADD"
100% truth in my business dealings with anyone under 30. Do I think everyone in those groups is like that? No, but it's hard to deny the facts I see daily.
I've already established my complete and utter disdain for all things "social media" related as it has done nothing but increase divisions, spread lies, conspiracies, and misinformation like spores in a hurricane. It also serves zero purpose in life other than to make the Zuckerbot 2.0 even more wealthy as he sells off everything about you to Palantir.

someguy01

Smaller social security benefits? Medicare cutbacks?
How about removing the cap on contributions into these programs? I have repeatedly pressed my federal representation about this issue. In addition, I want to see members of Congress not only have to also pay into these programs, but they should also have to use medicare as their medical benefits and Social Security for their retirement instead of it being privatized as it is currently.
If those things were done you would see those programs become flush with funds and you'd see more apprehension in cutting them when those that make those decisions are beholden to those programs themselves.

FYI: The cap for FICA contributions in 2020 is $137,700 ($142,800 for 2021). Above that income, you pay nothing into FICA.

cbphoto

Gold Member
When you are reading in bed and drop the Kindle on your face, does it hurt more or less than a (normal size, not 900 page) book?

This is a problem I often have, it's a real question.
Ha! No. My problem is reading “just one more chapter” resulting in only 4 hours of sleep.

prokofi5

100% truth in my business dealings with anyone under 30.
But you already said the younger people you deal with are a lot of seasonal outside day laborers which is not exactly going to attract the widest representation of the generation. And when I countered that I worked with a lot of good young folks you said I must be younger implying a younger person is not able to recognize a quality employee. I don't think it was intended that way, but that's how it's coming out. My concern is that this forum is going to consist entirely of geezers, myself included, if we keep trash talking younger people and holding onto these stereotypes.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
But you already said the younger people you deal with are a lot of seasonal outside day laborers which is not exactly going to attract the widest representation of the generation. And when I countered that I worked with a lot of good young folks you said I must be younger implying a younger person is not able to recognize a quality employee. I don't think it was intended that way, but that's how it's coming out. My concern is that this forum is going to consist entirely of geezers, myself included, if we keep trash talking younger people and holding onto these stereotypes.
Yep or they reciprocate and trash us- looks like an easier target with longer history to trash TBH. I think this may also reflect a change in US attitude that the next generations future is bleak rather gen after gen optimistic thinking next will have it better. I’m a pessimistic optimist or vice versa. Look and expect worst but believe I’m wrong and it’s better.

jimb

The cell fone is king.....the next generation wont be able to breath without it. The sight of the young clutching them now with all their worth is a thing which truly makes me despair......When was the last time u saw a jogger running without in ears, the human race is loosing the ability to embrace solitude and quiet thought, its a very slippery slope downwards.

Sakae2xBopster

I see middle-aged people on their cell phones all the time--real estate agents, the people who come to the house to service the garage door or to fix the plumbing, contractors, sales people. Cell phones have revolutionized the way business is done. So I just don't get why the default in this thread seems to be to trash young people for using them.

prokofi5

Yep or they reciprocate and trash us
I think we're hard-wired to label and lump things together so it takes actually takes work to be more open. And it's probably been going on forever. At some point people were sitting around bitching about their lazy kids with their new-fangled fire-starting flints who in turn were ragging on their cave parents.
I’m a pessimistic optimist or vice versa.
Lol, that sounds about right.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
When was the last time u saw a jogger running without in ears,
That's nothing new. People have been plugged in since the Walkman. Even the name, Walkman, ensures you can listen to music while on the go.

I got a Walkman for my birthday in the early 80s. I would take that thing everywhere I/we would go. Never left home without it.

As for age vs quality of worker, when I was running the speaker plant floor we had lots of temp workers. The ratio of quality vs lazy workers was about 50/50 regardless of age. If I'm being honest, the best temp worker I ever got was a Puerto Rican girl who was like 20. She did need her phone, and was always on it, but also never made any mistakes, was incredibly fast, and always got to work like 20 minutes early. I had too many bad workers that didnt even make it to lunch, young and old.

jimb

I see middle-aged people on their cell phones all the time--real estate agents, the people who come to the house to service the garage door or to fix the plumbing, contractors, sales people. Cell phones have revolutionized the way business is done. So I just don't get why the default in this thread seems to be to trash young people for using them.

Ok. Well I do have impeccable credentials...I was young once, I have grand kids and a phone. What I'm getting at is the amount of apps that allow "the young" to function. I can guarantee, go to a park on a hot day and it'll be young people still clutching the phone becuase its way more important than the world around them. But believe you me its the other way around cause when the power crashes and u cant charge ur phone anymore, hopefully the birds, bees, trees and silence will still be here.

Sakae2xBopster

Well, when I go to the park nearby I can't "park" unless I open up the parking app on my smart phone and make the payment. The township got rid of meters to save money and all parking is now by app!

Now it's time to put the ear buds in and go do some practicing!!!

wraub

The fact that so many are so willing to sacrifice personal privacy while being deliberately offered individualized information designed to misinform them while paying for the latest fastest method to do so would be comical if it weren't so awful.

I actively remove apps that my phone came with. I almost have it being just a phone. ;)

wraub

This should be protested- It assumes all who would park would have a cell phone and, it demands a government reach into your device by insisting you load a proprietary (I assume) app.
It's also a form of discrimination.

Well, when I go to the park nearby I can't "park" unless I open up the parking app on my smart phone and make the payment. The township got rid of meters to save money and all parking is now by app!

Now it's time to put the ear buds in and go do some practicing!!!

Sakae2xBopster

This should be protested

The thing is, a majority of the people find that paying by phone to park is convenient.

wraub

And, that is fine, for those who are able to use it. It also effectively removes those without that ability from access to a public good.

Convenience doesn't equal quality.

I'm also curious about the app- who developed it, which info it collects, and if anyone in local government has any connection to it.

edit- SpotHero?

Status
Not open for further replies.