Are you the type of player who...

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I don't rotate through anything. Only one drum set and only one set of cymbals.

I have my Supra, Gretsch kit, along with my Paiste Giant Beat crashes and 2oo2 Ride and 15" Sound Edge hats

They cover me perfectly for what I do.

Now, would I like to have more drums and more cymbals... sure I would, but my kids need to go to and finish college first.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
So Mitch, I take it you got the parts for the Supra? What did you have to do?

I'm sorry man, it wasn't like that when I sent it out.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I have a Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz kit with an 18" bass drum. I also have a Pearl Export 22x18 bass drum that I can use with the Gretsch toms (due to a Gibraltar tom arm). I use the small bass drum most of the time, but when playing outside, I usually use the bigger bass drum. I nearly always use the same snare, a Mapex MPX birch 13x6. Peace and goodwill.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I change out my gear depending on the needs of the gig.
I use the same kick and toms for everything (Yamaha Live Custom), but the number of toms I use will depend on who I'm playing for.

My cymbal and snare selection change for every individual artist.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
I rotate gear WAY too much. I spend more time than I should deciding on which snare and which cymbals to use for which gig. 3 of the bands I regularly gig with have their own "setup" pre-determined in my mind, with modifications based on venue/loudness/PA or not.

I'm playing a musical with a drummer who showed up with his only kit, snare, and cymbals, and he just plays the show. Simple. Wish I could bring myself to be more like that.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I'm playing a musical with a drummer who showed up with his only kit, snare, and cymbals, and he just plays the show. Simple. Wish I could bring myself to be more like that.
That sounds like a boring ideal to aspire to, like eating the same thing for dinner every night or only owning one pair of pants.

I'm sure I could get by no problem with one kit and one of my snares. Really I only cycle between 3 snares, the rest are just part of the collection.

Gooosseeeyy

It all depends on the style of music and the mood im in while packing up. But the only constant cymbal is my 22" Artisan Light Ride. Snares rotate between my Tama B/B 14x5.5, Brady 13x7 Jarrah/Lemon Block and my Elvin Jones Sig.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Since we play a variety of different-sized local venues in my area, I have 3-4 kits I rotate depending on the venue.

Bop-sized PDP kit with 18" kick where space is limited

Ludwig Classic Maples with 20" kick is my everyday kit and I use it the most where I can

Ludwig Keystone with a 24" kick for outdoor venues. The Oak/Maple combo and bigger sized drums in this kit project very well.

Roland TD-50 electronic kit for venues that have Mgrs who sometimes scrutinize band volume or for when I'm feeling like not lugging around my Ludwigs.

The constant snare in all the above A kits is either a 14x6.5 Pork Pie BOB or a 13x6 Ludwig Supralite. Once in a blue moon I will break out the Yamaha 14x6.5 Brass.

For cymbals, it has been over a 20-year journey to find "my sound" and the models that have the most versatility. With the Ludwigs I typically use the same set of Sabian Artisans and HHXs and my 16" K Light Hats for every gig. With the Bop kit I scale back to all K Dark Customs.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
That sounds like a boring ideal to aspire to, like eating the same thing for dinner every night or only owning one pair of pants.
My life is already overly-busy and complicated. I see the desire for simplicity as a result of that, not as a search for the mundane. Of course, I'm not giving up any kits, snares, or cymbals any time soon, but I would like for the selection process to be streamlined. The problem is my over thinking while searching for the "perfect" sound for each gig.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I've only ever had one set of anything, so I've bought gear I've believed to be the most universal and played everything with them. Every once in a while, I'll give the snare lugs a twist in either direction for a particular sound, but so far as cymbals go, if I want trashy, I go for my 17" HHX Evolution, 16" Ozone, or 18" Wuhan China, for a more classic sound, the 18" crash and will also crash my 21" Evolution ride. For a brighter rock sound, it's the 16" and 18" Evolution crashes and more midway to bell on the ride.

They all stay on the kit all the time, but I'd sure love to have problem of having to choose between multiple sets!

tcspears

Gold Member
I guess I'm a gear minimalist, but I don't really rotate gear that much. I have two rides, and a HH, but I usually just use one ride. I use the same snare for just about everything.

Krampus

For my rock/funk/country bands:
Vary snares by room.
1 cymbal set.

For my trad gypsy music band:
Same snare and cymbals always