Are you still playing the same brand drums as your first real set?

I’d post a photo but unfortunately I don’t own a cheap 1998 Kodak anymore that takes low res photos :) so every picture is rejected as too large.

My phone takes massive pics but I resize them on my pc with just a few clicks in MS Paint.

My pro/gigging/recording years in the 70's/80's were always Ludwig and Zildjian. Took some time off raising kids and then wanted to try new and different stuff. Tama, Gretsch, Mapex, Yamaha, of all different ranges. Then I hit on Sonor and things all made sense again. I have a couple Sonor German made kits and a Gretsch Renown. 2 Hendrix stave snares. Sonor Phonic reissue snare. Sabian HHX's, Zildjian A's and K's, and a nice sounding Istanbul Agop Xist ride. Couldn't be happier with what I have. I'm very thankful.

Kinda.

My first kit was a 260 used 60’s vintage Ludwig kit that had a mismatched 13” Tom. It was in bad shape.

And one of my main kits now is a Ludwig Classic Oak.

My drum history has went some like:
Used vintage Ludwig (age 13)
Used Eclipse kit (worst kit in America, but I was poor) (age 16)
8 piece Pearl Export (first new kit I worked my ass off for at 17)
5 piece Tama Hyperdrive Birch (age 22)
5 piece PDP Concept maple (age 34)
4 piece DW Design series (age 35)
4 piece Ludwig Classic oak (age 35)
7 piece Sonor SQ1 (age 36)

I grew up poor as shit so the more success I’ve had In life, the better my kit got. But I wish I realized what a gem I had with my first drum kit. I spray painted it black and rim shotted it so hard, the bearing edges caved in.

Kinda.

My first kit was a 260 used 60’s vintage Ludwig kit that had a mismatched 13” Tom. It was in bad shape.

And one of my main kits now is a Ludwig Classic Oak.

My drum history has went some like:
Used vintage Ludwig (age 13)
Used Eclipse kit (worst kit in America, but I was poor) (age 16)
8 piece Pearl Export (first new kit I worked my ass off for at 17)
5 piece Tama Hyperdrive Birch (age 22)
5 piece PDP Concept maple (age 34)
4 piece DW Design series (age 35)
4 piece Ludwig Classic oak (age 35)
7 piece Sonor SQ1 (age 36)

I grew up poor as shit so the more success I’ve had In life, the better my kit got. But I wish I realized what a gem I had with my first drum kit. I spray painted it black and rim shotted it so hard, the bearing edges caved in.
THIS is fabulous, I for one appreciate your progressive selection, just want to confirm that your dream kit is the Sonor SQ1? Great response by the way

THIS is fabulous, I for one appreciate your progressive selection, just want to confirm that your dream kit is the Sonor SQ1? Great response by the way

I’d say my dream kits were both to have high end Sonor and Ludwig kits. And I have both.

I still want a high end maple kit but I’m in no rush.

Snares are my thing now. 2 years ago I owned 1 snare. Now my snare collection is near complete

Nope..first kit was a Japanese slingerland copy crushed glass sparkle. I've played..ludwig..cheap mapex gear..tama..premier genista as well as signia kits..asian sonors..yamaha recording customs. I've yet to be happy with an entire kit.

My first "kit" was a 4 piece US Mercury with some stamped Camber cymbals and the first "real" kit was a 5 pc Ludwig Blue vistalite that I got on July 29th 1981 (I remember the date because I was impatiently waiting at home for my mother to arrive from picking it up and all that was on tv was Prince Charles/Lady Di's wedding lol). Being a huge Bonham fan, the first quality cymbals were Paiste. Second real kit with was a 7pc dbl bass Ludwig Rocker kit that I bought in 1989, which is still my main kit today (although now a single kick/dbl pedal). Cymbals were always a mixture of Zildjian & Paiste back then. When I got back into playing a few years ago, a bunch of the cymbals I had were cracked and I checked out Meinl and was totally impressed. Ended up selling off any cymbal I had that wasn't broken and for the first time ever, got all the same brand cymbals.. Even used the parts of that kit that were just sitting to build up another smaller set up. So, I'm 55 and have had 3 kits since I was 13!

Drums, No, cymbals, yes.

Paiste is all I've ever played since 1982.
My first real kit was used Tama Superstar, I've played several brands since then and currently play both DW and Ludwig kits.

My first set was Mapex with Sabian AAX studio crash and some low-end garbage

I've owned several different sets since that time (the best being a 14/15/16/18/24 Slingerland Copper over maple); and I'm presently playing a Ludwig Octaplus and a couple snares I built from parts; DW5000 pedal and pearl cymbal stands, Zildjian cymbals.

Not only am I not playing the brand of drums I started with, I am playing a kit from a manufacturer that I previously deemed overrated and never would have thought I would own. But I sure do love my new DW Design kit; what a long strange trip it’s been.

My first kit was a 1986 Premier Royale, and I still play Premier drums, for no reason other than that's what I ended up with. I love any drums that sound good, no matter who makes them, but my fussy nature has led me to pretty much stick with what I have.

:)

My first kit was a Tama Swingstar 100 years ago. I have gone through many over the years and own a few different types. I gig with a Tama Silverstar kit I bought when they came out. Love 'em.

Back