Are you still playing the same brand drums as your first real set?

SomeBadDrummer

Just wondering how many people on here have stuck to the same brand of drums, hardware and cymbals. Many well known drummers have switched brands at some point for various reasons, but also may have had virtually unlimited access to literally anything they wanted. For the rest of us mere mortals it’s not exactly an inexpensive thing to do depending on the size and quality requirements.
My first “real” branded set back in the 80’s was used Tama. I bought used Zildjians to replace the trash cymbals. Different pieces, but I still play Tama and Zildjian.
What about you?

yammyfan

Sadly, I don't know what brand my first kit was. It was a red sparkle kit with a 22" kick drum and that's all I remember.

rhumbagirl

Sadly, I don't know what brand my first kit was. It was a red sparkle kit with a 22" kick drum and that's all I remember.
Your avatar says senior citizen, so I'm guessing a red sparkle Ludwig kit from the 60's.

Oops, sorry. It says senior member. Forget that.

EDIT: Wait, the fact that you can't remember which kit you played on means you probably are a senior citizen, in which case my initial statement stands. Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:

Al Strange

My first kit was a Pearl Export with a Premier snare drum, and Paiste cymbals...which is pretty much what I play today!!! I have a Prem Gen X kit and I’m on my 3rd Pearl Export kit...still mainly Paiste but snares are a mixed bag; still own my first drum, a COA Prem 2000 though. (y) :cool:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
In my mind, there's just too many appealing drums to try to stick with just one manufacturer

My first "pro" kit was a set of brand new Ludwig Hollywoods, 1976. I eventually got turned off to them by the wonky shell bearing edges. The shells aren't what I would call round and true, like at all. The edges were actually hilly. I didn't know how to tune them at the time. I've since learned, but at the time I thought they were dogs. And they are, by today's standards.

I went to Eames from there in 1980. Much better drums, great edges, easy tuning and I still have them but don't play them anymore. That's a future refinishing project, they are beat up looks-wise. I'd never sell any custom made kit I've acquired over the years. Besides the Guru drums, I have a set of DW and a set of Eames that I had made custom. I've never regretted any custom drum purchase, in fact, they have always been my favorite kits. I still own all my favorite kits.

Tama could be the only major manufacturer I haven't owned. I admit it was the name that kept me away. I do like the Tama sound very much. I dig their shells a lot.

Gretsch were great, I had 2 Renown sets, but eventually the 5 lug tuning turned out to be a dealbreaker for me. Then I went with Pearl, had about a half dozen Pearl sets, but I came to realize that the 7.5 mm shells were too thick for my liking. I used PDP for a few years, they were fine drums, but I ended up giving them away to a buddy of mine a few years ago. Then I got me some Guru drums and the quest was OVER!

Nothing tempts me anymore.

Last edited:

SomeBadDrummer

Your avatar says senior citizen, so I'm guessing a red sparkle Ludwig kit from the 60's.

Oops, sorry. It says senior member. Forget that.

EDIT: Wait, the fact that you can't remember which kit you played on means you're probably a senior citizen, in which case my initial statement holds. Sorry for the confusion!
:cautious: Yammyfan- My first two kits were either unbranded or cheap kids/starter kits when I was aged 6-12 and couldn’t even guess at the brand name. The Ludwig guess could be right, although Slingerland has been around since before most of us ‘Senior’ citizens. :sleep:

SomeBadDrummer

In my mind, there's just too many appealing drums to try to stick with just one manufacturer

First "pro" kit was Ludwig. I got turned off to them by the wonky shell bearing edges. I didn't know how to tune them at the time. I've since learned, but at the time I thought they were dogs. I went to Eames from there. Much better drums, great edges, still have them but don't play them anymore. I never sell any custom made kit I've acquired over the years, besides the Guru drums, I have DW and Eames sets that I had made custom.

Tama could be the only major manufacturer I haven't owned. I admit it was the name that kept me away. I do like the Tama sound.
:unsure: That’s interesting that the name kept you away from Tama especially since you like the sound. Some aversion to stars, or the quality not up to par with the others?

harryconway

Platinum Member
My first kit, was a MIJ stencil kit. Which I expanded with all sorts of "frankenstein" add ons.

My first "top tier" kit, consisted of Ludwig Vistalite drums and Remo Roto Toms. Still play Ludwig (but currently vintage 3 ply) ..... and still have Remo Chrome on Chrome Roto's (on my 3rd set).

But I also play Gretsch, Yamaha, RMV, and Tama drums.

My cymbal journey has taken me thru Zildjian, Paiste, Istanbul Mehmet & Agop, Buzin, Soultone, ..... and now I'm almost exclusively a Sabian guy.

C.M. Jones

Drums and hardware: I've been playing nothing but Pearl since the mid-'80s. I don't foresee my commitment to Pearl falling by the wayside. I never even entertain the possibility of buying anything else. Brand variety doesn't appeal to me. I see it as a distraction from the serious business of drumming.

Cymbals: I started with Zildjian, moved to Paiste for a while, and have returned to Zildjian. I'll probably stay put, so long as Zildjian retains the S Family or replaces it with something of equal quality. I like sheet cymbals more than cast.

Ransan

First kit my dad got for me was a CB700 that had MX by CB cymbals I had 2 16”s and one of them had to be the ride Lol

From there I played on a few years and when I was working got a Pearl Export. I had already started switching to Sabian as I was now coming from Scimitars.

So as it goes, I am still Pearl and Sabian.

C.M. Jones

I will never buy a Craftmatic bed, because I despise the name.
I can relate to such bias. I was drawn to Pearl in the '80s because of its name and logo, and I love both to this day. Though Shakespeare persuades us that "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet," I reject "The Bard's" philosophy in this instance. I'd never be willing to inhale the scent of something called the skunk flower. For me, it starts (or ends) with the name.