Are you still happy?

Icetech

Gold Member
STILL happy? I honestly don't think i can even feel happiness anymore and don't recall the last time i did.. The lockdown.. meh... life didn't change a bit cept less traffic driving to work, which is still 70 hours a week, just no money coming in...
a month ago, had a mountain biking accident an shattered my shoulder, it's going to be a year healing and i may not be able to drum again...
On top of that, no health insurance so i will be in debt til the day i die...
Luckily we don't live long in my family and i should be gone in the next 5-7 years, so i got that going for me...

When you ask "Are you still happy" I have no idea what you are talking about.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
STILL happy? I honestly don't think i can even feel happiness anymore and don't recall the last time i did.. The lockdown.. meh... life didn't change a bit cept less traffic driving to work, which is still 70 hours a week, just no money coming in...
a month ago, had a mountain biking accident an shattered my shoulder, it's going to be a year healing and i may not be able to drum again...
Luckily we don't live long in my family and i should be gone in the next 5-7 years, so i got that going for me...

I don't have a ton of range in my left shoulder from my mountain biking accident. I used to have a lot of percussion items and cymbals on the left side of my kit. No longer there, because I have no range in that direction. Kept playing with three limbs for a year then brought in the left slowly. It's not an end, but a change. The healthcare bit is tough. Been there, done that...not healthcare expenses specifically, but debt from unfortunate circumstances hurts just the same.

felonious69

I have been fried, cooked, baked, wasted, toasted, smashed, bombed, totalled, blitzed, not to mention COMPLETELY BUMMED, I don't know how many times and I keep going...not drumming...yet, but going.
It's what I do... It's what you should do too!
This applies to everyone!

wraub

Had a serious separated collarbone a while back following a bicycle incident. They thought it was broken at first, and a recent evaluation suggests that it may have been. The recovery wasn't fun, but the time since has been good.

As for the rest, all I can say is, keep going. Personally, I'm in a rough patch atm in several ways, and many days I've considered just staying in bed and giving up, but I manage to keep getting up and doing my best. Like you, happy is a foreign concept right now. Still, I continue. It's not always good, but it's for the best... probably. ;)

I wish you luck and health.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I never knew I broke my collar bone till decades later-but I wrecked a three wheeler (just asked my Dad) and broke a bunch of ribs and all beat to hell and back. I suspect I broke it then- that took me forever to recover. I should have gone to hospital because I could have had some internal injuries too. I was black and blue , scrapped up and couldn’t breath or move without pain. I bet I laid on ground an hour before I got up from wreck. My Dad being a physician meant we were always fine or he’d throw some stitches in a cut- but generally he was not tolerant of anyone in family being sick. Three wheelers were death traps and I knew better- but I had to keep pushing it.

someguy01

Sorry guys, just having a bad time right now.. no biggy :)
People who are happy all the time are either heavily medicated or possibly should be. We all have bad days, some of us (coughthisguycough) have more than others, there is nothing wrong with that at all.
I have spent the better part of 35 years pretending to be happy all the time for the benefit of other people. Not any more. I'm too damn tired to keep up that nonsense when it benefits me none. If other folks can't accept that, well, that's their issue.
You take care of you and on the hospital bit, go in an speak to the billing folks about your situation. They have ways to work with you as they would rather have some money than none at all.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Once again, it seems health care costs are the biggest screw America can give it's citizens.
It's almost like the ones that are in charge planned it that way... AGAIN/STILL.
USA healthcare is now about profiting from others’ condition. The doctors who care about the patient in a personal way are either retired or dead. I spent the last few decades bargaining with doctors and clinics to get discounts (I failed only once).

I surfed for 30 years. Now my skin is percolating with cancer. I went in a few years ago to have skin removed (basil cell carcinoma) and afterward they tried to upsell me plastic surgery because there’d be a “lack of symmetry” between my two nostrils.

The blessing of Medicare is that there’s no upselling, just the service needed is performed.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I had an injury playing hockey 6 years ago that left me wondering if I would ever play drums, walk, ride bikes etc...and here we are now and I am doing everything....except playing hockey. I am having to relearn how to skate...which is pretty rough given that I grew up skating...it is/was a serious "reality" moment....but it is also a huge motivator....just like wanting to drum and ride mountain/ BMX bikes again. I was lucky that I had insurance coverage for on ice injuries through USA Hockey, b/c if not, I would be in the same boat

I am in debt for many other things, so I hear you on that

wraub

Ongoing medical dept is part of the cost of living. ;)

felonious69

I was already in debt because of medical issues...Student loans...Then came the custody suit. Here in WI, because I was the one born with the "outie", I had the pleasure of financing the whole thing...My lawyer, her lawyer, the kid's lawyer, court fees, the psych evals, drug assessments and testing...the whole shebang while also being required to pay all the child's insurance and medical expenses as well as provide daycare, while trying to also be at work and simultaneously attend all these appointments.
Eventually, I won...sole custody...and they required her to pay ZERO child support...for seven years. After that "grace period" she was finally required to pay some...14 dollars per week.
I don't really give a $#!+ about money any more!
If I die right now, they will get a Pearl Roadshow kit with good heads, OK cymbals, NOT-Remo roto toms, and decent hardware.
I used to be bummed and angry all the time. Now I am just not.
Bob.
(I really don't know what or when change happened...it just did...and I am glad)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
My wife told me the other day she is very happy with her life. That makes me happy. She is bipolar and has PTSD amongst other things. This is fantastic news. Much better than days of not all that long ago. I'll take it.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I'm angry, pissed, ready to fight-so I'm pretty happy I think ROFL. Goosfraba.

felonious69

My wife told me the other day she is very happy with her life. That makes me happy. She is bipolar and has PTSD amongst other things. This is fantastic news. Much better than days of not all that long ago. I'll take it.
GF is upset and stressed out because they are basically forcing her to retire. I am not very proficient with the "support" thing...especially when it comes to stressing out. But I am trying and she knows I care.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

GF is upset and stressed out because they are basically forcing her to retire. I am not very proficient with the "support" thing...especially when it comes to stressing out. But I am trying and she knows I care.

when I first met my wife, she was just coming off of a 25 year abusive relationship...she was super stressed, very very moody, and distrusted everyone. I used to get caught in her "hurricanes" all the time, and immediately tried to be the "fixer". One time, after an uproar...I just said: "WTF do you want me to do?" and she said" Just shut up and listen. That is all I need. I just need to vent"

Shut Up And Listen

the same thing my dad told me when I was 5 or 6. It fixes everything.

We have been together for 11 years, and have not had a fight in 7...

I don't get "venting" because I am an introvert. I NEVER bring my world into, or on to other peoples world. I figure, everyone has their own problems to deal with, they don't need, or care about mine either, so I couldn't see that that is what she was needing