Are you in Acquisition:Purge or holding steady mode now ?

roncadillac

I change my drums all the time. I'm my twenty years playing I've owned over thirteen different kits BUT never at the same time. I constantly shift and change my set ups and constantly 'clean house' and make a dramatic change. However, I always move out the old gear as I bring in the new gear. I never have more then one full kit's worth of drums on hand at a given time yet they are always different so I guess I'm always in a 'hold steady purge AND acquisition' mode.

JimmyM

Gold Member
I change my drums all the time. I'm my twenty years playing I've owned over thirteen different kits BUT never at the same time. I constantly shift and change my set ups and constantly 'clean house' and make a dramatic change. However, I always move out the old gear as I bring in the new gear. I never have more then one full kit's worth of drums on hand at a given time yet they are always different so I guess I'm always in a 'hold steady purge AND acquisition' mode.
LOL...sounds like it. So you get a new set about every year and a half on average using quickie math. That's a lot of sets.

bud7h4

Silver Member
Acquisition mode ended last year with Tama and DW kits and A Customs to contrast my K Custom Dark set. I'm now in purge mode, but only a few things.
I need to get my Concept Maple kit sold, a pair of crashes, and several Roland V-cymbals left over from my former E-drum kit.
Just moved into the new house and finally have a proper drum room but I don't have room for three kits and storing things I don't use.

sonor 014.jpg

Last edited:

harryconway

Platinum Member
I should be purging ...... but I'm finding it hard to get motivated.;) Got 3 kits I "could/should" sell ..... and probably 5 (or more) orphan drums that could be moved on. Certainly don't "need" anything at the moment, but I got my eye out for a second floor tom for my Yamaha 8000 kit, and any sizes that I don't have, that would match my Yamaha SC shell bank.

justadrummer

I'm in a holding pattern with kits and cymbals.

I'm still adding snares, I recently ordered a solid steam-bent walnut from Summit.

And cases...

I still need more cases.

roncadillac

LOL...sounds like it. So you get a new set about every year and a half on average using quickie math. That's a lot of sets.
It is a lot but I'm constantly buying/selling/trading so it's not as much of a financial burden as it sounds. Typically I buy a kit new and even though I'll gig it I do take very good care of it. Then a year or so later I'll sell it and recoup usually 75-80% of what I paid which then goes towards something different. For example: I picked up a Tama club jam mini with the add-on toms about a year ago, I've played them extensively in that time however they still basically look brand new (aside from changing heads) and as soon as the new Tama club jam pancake kit arrives in the US I'll be selling the club jam mini and buying the pancake. It's almost like leasing a car lol... I get to use a brand new set of drums for a year or so and it typically only ends up actually costing me $100-$200.

The only kit I never did this with was my pearl midtown but that one is a totally different story that ended up with its own very lengthy dedicated thread.

Last edited:

brushes

I am pretty much past the aquisition mode. Gladly. Actually I have been selling stuff the past years but with the pandemic situation it is on hold for now. But I will continue to sell some stuff. Why? Because I have explored lots of gear in my playing carreer and actually pretty much settled my mind on what works for me and which stuff is "nice to heave" but rather excessive.

IMHO owning less stuff also makes you think less about which gear to choose for job x or Y and instead concentrate on DOING the job right. Get a few high quality snares and cymbals that are pretty versatile and live happily forever. You get to know those few but good instruments in and out and what they can do, which sounds you can get out of them. Why keep five snares that so sound differently, when you can achieve those five sounds with ONE snare?

I have waaaay more cymbals than I actually need, waaay more snares than I actually need and one drumset that is also rather "excessive".

Time to sell some more...

C.M. Jones

Diamond Member
IMHO owning less stuff also makes you think less about which gear to choose for job x or Y and instead concentrate on DOING the job right.
My outlook precisely.
Why keep five snares that so sound differently, when you can achieve those five sounds with ONE snare?
I've always held this view as well. Those who want lots of snares for the sake of collecting them have every right to pursue that interest, of course, but any high-quality snare can furnish a variety of useful sounds. I own two, primarily to have a backup. For me, anything more would be redundant.

brushes

Those who want lots of snares for the sake of collecting them have every right to pursue that interest, of course,
Of course. Collecting for the sake of collecting is a different thing than buying tons of snaredrums because X sounds a tiny bit different than Y.

I had lots of snares, in my heyday it was ... 17 or so? I don't remember. And what was it worth in the end? Nothing. Most of them collected dust. Right now, I play my two Starphonics and my Star Bubinga most of the time and those can do it all. I basically don't need any other snares.

I still have four other snares but chances are that three of them will go as well, wich would reduce my snaredrum "collection" to four: The Maple and Aluminium Starphonics, the Star Bubinga and an SLP Super Aluminium. Two metal and two wood snaredrums.

Maybe ... maybe... the Super Aluminium might make space for a Star Reserve Solid Maple or a Star Reserve brass in the future, but that would be only because I really ike those two snaredrums. Not because of any "need" whatsoever. A real luxury-problem.

Same goes for cymbals. You can collect a myriad of cymbals and many special ones that really sound unique. But in the end, what works well most of the time? Get hihats and crashes that work well in pretty much any situation/style you will run into. Add only a few extra rides to your collection, so you can "fine-tune" the sound if needed - and you're done. That said: I play the HHX Evolution Hats and Crashes for pretty much everything these days. From rock to pop to funk to latin to blues to jazz. They just fit with all of these styles. But I swap the ride, according to the job, using sometimes the HHX Groove Ride, sometimes the Artisan Elite, somtimes the AA Apollo sometimes the HHX Evolution...

Spare cymbals ... get sold.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I still have four other snares but chances are that three of them will go as well, wich would reduce my snaredrum "collection" to four: The Maple and Aluminium Starphonics, the Star Bubinga and an SLP Super Aluminium. Two metal and two wood snaredrums.
Maybe you "need" one of these?

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I'm in between purge and hold steady.
There really isn't anything I need, but one or two things I'd like because I'm getting ready to record a new cd with my band.
Purging some cymbals I don't need, or "got and sound great, but not the right thing" in the next week.
Just have to find the time to take good pics and list them.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I haven't bought anything in years. I already have more than I need.

I keep saying I'm going to buy more cymbals, but I don't need more cymbals, so I keep putting it off.

BruceW

I guess acquisition mode...i want to upgrade my cymbals, and my throne specifically. Beyond those (sizeable) purchases, I don't really have any plans for more gear. Well, maybe I can save my pennies for a Crown CM11, heh heh. First things first.

I do have some older gear that I want to move, basically to fund the upgrades, so maybe I qualify for both Purge and Aquisition?

Out of Round

Already blessed with instrument options and I'm living pretty simply, so I'm in a holding pattern except for consumables like sticks and heads.

I may get a Tune-Bot out of curiosity.