Are you as hot as you used to be? ;)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I'm having a joke with the thread title, but the heat at last night's gig was no joke. It's especially hot here right now (by UK standards). At last night's gig, it topped 90F outside, & inside the venue during our gig, it went well over 100F. Of course, I had no fan unit with me.

Now, for an old fart, our show can get pretty physical in terms of bin bashing, so it was uncomfortable to say the least. I'm not a sweaty kind of guy. In fact, all the other band members were much worse than me, but it still equated to a PITA. I used to soak up these gigs without issue 25 years ago, but right now, I'm totally drained!!! I'm used to getting in at 4:00AM (gig was 1.5 hours drive away), but the heat (especially during setup & breakdown too), really took it's toll. We're a crew member down, & our show gear takes quite a bit of work.

That said, it was a great gig with excellent audience reaction & two highly paid bookings received as a result. Can't complain.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Yesterday, work consisted of me setting out tables, making tea and generally walking around a lot and talking to people. Then I had to get into my car which I had parked in the only space available - right in the sun. Yesterday it was just short of 30C - which is hot. Not as hot as ten years ago when it reached 38C, mind.

Then I have to continue moving all of my gear. Drums, guitar amplifiers (and yes, valves - heavy as &@&#), books and heavy things.

I hate summer. Andy, I feel for you man.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I just had this summer's first rehearsal with the brass band and we were inside a gymnasium that didn't have air conditioning, and later we went outside into the sun. The "getting back into the groove" of playing out in the hot sun always seems to take longer but at least I'm smart enough now to have a small cooler on hand with cold bottles of water with me, so I'm cooling internally, anyway.

As I get older I really have to remind myself to stretch out beforehand and hydrate.

dmacc_2

.....I hate summer. Andy, I feel for you man.
Add me to this. Some people have seasonal affective disorder during the winter months, both my wife and I have it during the summer months.

I hate the heat and even more the humidity factor. I live right near one of the Great Lakes in the USA and as a result it's humid here all the time. It's almost tolerable during all the months other than July and August. It can be 70F outside and feel like 98F with the humidity. Add that same humidity factor on a day where it's 95F outside? Forget it.

I have done many outdoor gigs in it and no longer will do so.

I've also traveled to many southern states where it's like this almost all year long, I could never, ever, ever live there.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I live about 500 yards from the River Thames - where it expands and goes to the sea. Humidity is the killer here but my new flat has a North-facing sitting room and a sheltered room that faces the South so it's thankfully cool indoors. I walk outside and I can't cope.

I'm a miserable git during the winter too, so figure that how you will...

G

gf2564

Add me to this. Some people have seasonal affective disorder during the winter months, both my wife and I have it during the summer months.

I hate the heat and even more the humidity factor. I live right near one of the Great Lakes in the USA and as a result it's humid here all the time. It's almost tolerable during all the months other than July and August. It can be 70F outside and feel like 98F with the humidity. Add that same humidity factor on a day where it's 95F outside? Forget it.

I have done many outdoor gigs in it and no longer will do so.

I've also traveled to many southern states where it's like this almost all year long, I could never, ever, ever live there.
I hear you; I live in Alabama and the heat and humidity gets a little tougher to deal with as you get older! It use to never bother me when I was younger playing sports and doing all sorts of outside activities. Compared to sports like tennis when you are constantly running, outdoor drumming gigs seem less of an issue but as I am getting much closer to the big 60, I am now more partial to the Spring and Fall!

Magenta

Platinum Member
I'm not exactly a gecko, but I don't mind the heat - what I can't bear, even to a slight degree, is humidity.

Temperatures here have been in the late 20 degrees C, but mostly it's been dry heat so I've been ok. Mind you, I haven't been doing very much; it's way too hot for that.

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
It was 101 outside during my gig yesterday, the sun was bearing on me for 2 sets.

I feel your pain, my drive was only 10 min though

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm used to heat, as I work in attics. In the summer months it's well over 100 degrees sometimes as much as 115. So even though I sweat a lot, it doesn't drain me because I've been conditioned to it for the last 18 years. I'm sure cigs and alcohol don't help in the heat.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
We're into our 18 th straight day of 90 F heat and humidity of 60% or greater with a dew point of 68% or higher(the dew point is the real killer) .

You would think NY city would be a bit cooler but it's almost tropical with high heat and humidity in the summer.With all the buildings and asphalt,it holds the day's heat so cool evenings without the sun are just a rumor.

Just drink plenty of water...yes water. Not soda or coffee,beer(alcohol and coffee actually dehydrates you),sports drinks ect.Nothing hydrates you like plain old H2O.And make sure you're getting enough salt,potassium and magnesium.If not,you'll start to get cramps.

I drink a minimum of a gallon(approx 4 liters) a day.

Sorry about the "change" Mary.I remember my mom going throught it,and it was the only time I heard her use the "f " word......twice.

Steve B

Stroman

Platinum Member
Heat definitely takes it's toll on me now that I'm older, but I still prefer it to the 6+ months of dreary, grey, snowy weather and short days we have here in the winter. It takes me a while to get adapted to the heat after the long winter, but I never had to shovel three feet of heat off my driveway so I could get to work by 5 AM, so I don't complain much. Thankfully, we don't struggle with the humidity here. I grew up in the mid-Atlantic states where it was hot AND humid. I didn't mind it then, but it kills me now.

JohnW

Silver Member
July 4th- we did a parade in Manchester, MA. 103°F on the pavement (about 39°C). Not too comfortable (even though it's by the ocean), but at least we had a bunch of people bringing water to us from the crowd.

Today in Rockport at 11:16 AM it's 84°F (about 29°C), mostly sunny and 72% humidity. A busy beach day for the town!

-John

Smoke

Silver Member
Im a menopausal woman - what do you think? Now all you men stop whining!
No whining from me - I had hot flashes for 18 months a few years ago while battling prostate cancer. Lupron injections reduced the amount of testosterone and unbalanced the hormones in my system. But, it was nice in the winter! ;o)

I hate summer. Andy, I feel for you man.
+2
No spiders, no smashed bugs on the car, no lawn mowing, no seasonal allergies, very few thunderstorms, hardly any sunburn, no mosquitoes... I could go on and on. When I retire in three years, I'm moving up north of the 45th parallel where they have REAL winter.

yesdog

Silver Member
I played at a festival a couple summers ago, it was 98F out and very humid. The stage was facing the sun it was about 5:00 PM. We start playing and the stage lights go on. I now know what it feels like to be in an oven. I was sweating so much from the heat that my sticks were getting wet and hard to hang on to,I survived. There is nothing worse than unloading your gear at 3am in the middle of winter and your hardware case falls off the back porch into a pile of snow upside down. I will take the heat instead of snow and ice. I am 44 yrs young and still do fine with heat and lugging gear.