"Are you any good?"

danondrums

"Are you any good?"

Does anybody else usually get this awkward snarky question when you tell someone your a drummer?

I always find it awkward to answer without either sounding like i'm treading myself down or bigging myself up.

How do you respond?
"I don't know. I never really thought about it like that. I just love playing drums and music. My next show is on xxx, will you come?"

Seafroggys

Silver Member
This is a question I don't really get asked...maybe I did a bit in high school, but not anymore.

The question that I do get asked, that *was* difficult to answer until I came up with a clever answer, was "What type of music do you play?"

And now the answer that will shut them up and prevents me from trying to talk genre-speak is "Whatever pays."

Which is the technically the truth.

If I ever get asked "Am I good" question again, next time I'll probably say "I have a day job but people do pay me to play, so however good that is."

dmacc_2

"Are you any good?"

Does anybody else usually get this awkward snarky question when you tell someone your a drummer?

I always find it awkward to answer without either sounding like i'm treading myself down or bigging myself up.

How do you respond?
I've been asked this a million times. Mostly by non-musicians. My response is generally, after 44 years of studying and playing I still suck.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I tell them not really. Then I tell them I'm a death metal drummer. That usually ends it right there. I live in Arkansas, so that usually ends the interrogation. The incredibly small metal community here knows me, and they never ask that question.

I don't like talking drums with non-drummers. I find it as thrilling as talking about sports with jocks. I really only like hockey, and again, I'm in Arkansas.
dude....death metal is pretty hard to play....I have been playing for 40+ years, and still have not mastered that genre...and have been listening/into it since Venom, Carcass and Morbid Angel were young'ns. I have a pretty good grasp on MANY other facets of percussion. I would not be ashamed of being a death metal drummer!!! I also hear ya about hockey.

When people ask me if I am any good, I tell them I have been playing for 40+ years and leave it at that. I also hate to brag about my abilities. To the point that when people compliment me, I feel guilty for responding. Obviously I react kindly and am very thankful, but I just don't like that spotlight.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
dude....death metal is pretty hard to play....I have been playing for 40+ years, and still have not mastered that genre...and have been listening/into it since Venom, Carcass and Morbid Angel were young'ns. I have a pretty good grasp on MANY other facets of percussion. I would not be ashamed of being a death metal drummer!!! I also hear ya about hockey.
Oh I'm not ashamed of it at all, I'm actually quite pleased with what I do drum wise. But that's about all I do. Scratch that. When playing, that's all Ive wanted to do since day 1. I listen to just about everything, and dabble in most of it, yet the simple things elude me. I just like to go fast, run my feet, and do huge rolls. So for the everyday music, I'm really not that good at it. I can copy stuff pretty well, but it never feels right to me. I have the same reaction watching "normal" drummers as they do watching metal drummers: Wait, what? How on earth does he/she do that?

The train beat is a perfect example. Mechanically it's exactly the same as a two footed blast beat (16ths on hands/8ths on feet). I've been working on it for like a year now but it still isn't right.

One Up One Down

A little while ago I was asked by a co-worker, who is familiar with how long I've been playing: How much do you practice?
I said: I get to play for about an hour every day
they sad: Wow, you must be getting good!
(Oh geez) I say: Uh, no not really

Maybe I should have said: I guess I'm not bad for a guy who only gets to play an hour every day :)

It's impossible to answer a question about relative standing with no context.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Here are my canned responses:

"I'm a great drummer...for the town I live in."

"I'm good enough to get really obligated."

"I don't know if I'm any good, but I'm in about 4 bands right now."

"I don't know if I'm any good, but I gig a lot and have fun."

"I don't know, maybe."

"I'm really good until you hear someone who can REALLY play."

"I don't know, but I have a good time."

"I'm good at what I do, but I can't play jazz because I can only count to 4...and maybe 6."
In the last poll, I was voted all neighborhood.

veecharlie

oh man I got this question a couple of times...
I always say I work with professionals but I don't claim myself any perfect.

TOMANO

Tell 'em you are the best drummer that ever lived. When they mention Buddy...tell 'em he couldn't carry your stick bag. Peart? Pffft. Moon? Please. Bonham? Yawn. Anyone who asks that question is not worthy of an honest answer.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Oh I'm not ashamed of it at all, I'm actually quite pleased with what I do drum wise. But that's about all I do. Scratch that. When playing, that's all Ive wanted to do since day 1. I listen to just about everything, and dabble in most of it, yet the simple things elude me. I just like to go fast, run my feet, and do huge rolls. So for the everyday music, I'm really not that good at it. I can copy stuff pretty well, but it never feels right to me. I have the same reaction watching "normal" drummers as they do watching metal drummers: Wait, what? How on earth does he/she do that?

The train beat is a perfect example. Mechanically it's exactly the same as a two footed blast beat (16ths on hands/8ths on feet). I've been working on it for like a year now but it still isn't right.
what I have found over the years with train beats is that they almost have to have a shuffle feel..like they are in triplet division feel wise, but are still in duple. I also find that it helps if you just do the kick on 1 and 3. It helps give more space for the groove to fit in.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
what I have found over the years with train beats is that they almost have to have a shuffle feel..like they are in triplet division feel wise, but are still in duple. I also find that it helps if you just do the kick on 1 and 3. It helps give more space for the groove to fit in.
I'll give it a try shuffled. I do put the kick on 1 and 3. 2 and 4 get the hats. I like shuffles, perhaps it will help some.