"Are you any good?"

JUZZI

"Are you any good?"

Does anybody else usually get this awkward snarky question when you tell someone your a drummer?

I always find it awkward to answer without either sounding like i'm treading myself down or bigging myself up.

How do you respond?

Last edited:

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
"Are you any good?"

Does anybody else usually get this awkward snarky question when you tell someone your a drummer?

I always find it awkward to answer without either sounding like i'm treading myself down or bigging myself up.

How do you respond?
I just tell the truth. I’m a good generalist at all percussion, including drumset, but my strength is timpani and orchestral percussion in general. Knowing where your skills sit in comparison to the rest of the drum world helps when you’re trying to answer this.

Last edited:

mikyok

Platinum Member
"Are you any good?"

How do you respond?
I'm the worst salesman going, hate blowing my own trumpet as I find empty pipes make the most noise. I try and let my playing do the talking.

How do I define somebody elses idea of good when I'll never be as good as I want to be?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I tell them not really. Then I tell them I'm a death metal drummer. That usually ends it right there. I live in Arkansas, so that usually ends the interrogation. The incredibly small metal community here knows me, and they never ask that question.

I don't like talking drums with non-drummers. I find it as thrilling as talking about sports with jocks. I really only like hockey, and again, I'm in Arkansas.

Channing

I would find that question hard to answer because it can be so subjective. Who knows what kind of expectations this person has for what a good drummer is? I’d probably say something like, well I must be ok because my bandmates keep me around.

It makes me wonder the motivation behind someone asking this. Are they really seeking information or more just trying to make conversation and it was the first thing that popped into their head?

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Wait no one told me I had to be good at playing drums. Dang there are lots of things I enjoy doing that I'm not very good at it but that's why I keep doing it-to get better. I also wonder why people ask such a question. "Oh so you're a physician, lawyer, businessman, etc-you any good at it?" just doesn't come up like being a "drummer". IF you play guitar I wonder if you get similar questions.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
With "any good" being relative, I say yes, or I think so. Give them what they want to hear.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
"Oh so you're a physician, lawyer, businessman, etc-you any good at it?" just doesn't come up like being a "drummer". IF you play guitar I wonder if you get similar questions.
Because it's not considered a real job. Teaching drums or guitar isn't either, if that helps.

It’s a rude question to ask I think 🤷🏻‍♂️. I might respond with .........

“ well what makes a good drummer ?”

And before they can answer .......

“ Hey , what do you do ? “

Wait for response.....

“ well are you any good at that ?”

Just bizarre what people say 🙄

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
It depends who asks the question.

If I know it's a musician, I might say "Well, a lot of other musicians think I am!"

If I know for sure they're not a musician, I might say "Well, I've been able to make a career from playing, so I guess so!"

But, nobody's ever asked me. 😯

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Here are my canned responses:

"I'm a great drummer...for the town I live in."

"I'm good enough to get really obligated."

"I don't know if I'm any good, but I'm in about 4 bands right now."

"I don't know if I'm any good, but I gig a lot and have fun."

"I don't know, maybe."

"I'm really good until you hear someone who can REALLY play."

"I don't know, but I have a good time."

"I'm good at what I do, but I can't play jazz because I can only count to 4...and maybe 6."

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I say something like, 'I play with bands, I have a drum kit, I'm not a beginner, I'm not real good either, somewhere in the middle, I suppose'.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I don't think I've ever been asked this question.

But way back, more than 20 years ago, I jammed with a pickup band at a house party hosted by a co-worker. I knew most of the people there from my job, but the comment I got from a non-musician is the one I remember. "Even when I could tell you didn't have any idea what you were doing, you made it work."

:cautious:

Square

IF you play guitar I wonder if you get similar questions.
I have. My general response is, if you listen to me play for one minute you would think, "this guy is pretty damn good". If you listen to me play any longer, it gets questionable.

I don't know why this question comes up. I do know that my answer typically sends the conversation in a completely new direction.