Are You a Tweeker or No?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I would say yes, but not constantly. For years I didn't change anything. Now that I'm taking lessons and working on technique, I'm breaking bad habits. That's lead to suddenly realizing I need to move my snare up a bit, or tilt the FT, or... I used to be a very lazy player with toms and snare tilted more than they should have been. Nothing crazy like the Tom Angles thread. Nothing more than I see when I see other setups live, but definitely incorrect and lacking in ergonomics for my height and gorilla arms/legs. My drums were set up as if I were 6 - 8 inches shorter, I my snare hand would rest on my leg.:rolleyes:

At first, I moved everything almost completely flat. That forced me to focus on having my sticks land where they needed to, instead of just attacking the drum. As time has passed, I've brought the drums up and angled slightly. It has given me a bit more breathing room. I don't know if that fits the tweeker type category, but in my case, it was more than needed and hugely beneficial to overcome my own self-inflicted limitations.

I haven't played anyone else's set up for a while, but in the past, I used to just grab sticks and play the way things were. They were usually only for a song or two, so I wouldn't bother. If I couldn't hit something, because the tom was set up ceiling height or the next room, I just wouldn't play it.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Not a tweaker as much as a tuner. Ergonomics is important but not being anal retentive about it is important to me too ha ha.

It seems I'm always in the mood for a snare or tom sound that mine isn't tuned to right now.

You guys have serious serious problems and I'm not sure it's healthy for me to be associated with the likes of tweaker drummers :)

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Not a tweaker as much as a tuner. Ergonomics is important but not being anal retentive about it is important to me too ha ha.

It seems I'm always in the mood for a snare or tom sound that mine isn't tuned to right now.

You guys have serious serious problems and I'm not sure it's healthy for me to be associated with the likes of tweaker drummers :)
I think that might count too Uncle Larry. You're still in the denial stage about your problem!

Weird, I dont change sound much at all. I know where I like my stuff in that aspect. It's the gear itself. Honestly I dont mess with the sound except tuning to the point of not even considering that as something to tweek. Never woulda crossed my mind.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

this is probably the MOST detrimental part of my drum set playing....after 40+ years of playing, my set has NEVER been set up to my total satisfaction. I move stuff even in the rests of songs, and sometimes even in between beats of songs - a quick shift of a splash cymbal; I use my knees to alter the snare drum while I play; will put one stick under my arm, play beat and division with the other, and do major adjustments....

It is definitely a manifestation of my OCD...and also b/c growing up, I often times had to play a beater kit that would fall apart as I was playing (punk/metal basement shows...)

I change the overall set up about once a year, mostly out of boredom. Once I get the new configuration set, I then do little modifications to the experiment. That settles in after about 2 weeks. Then the little OCD driven nit-picking comes in.

When my one band went out on the road in the late 90's, it was a HUGE learning experience for me b/c I had to play on other guys kits about 6 out of every 10 shows. Typical set up where I used my cymbs/snare and bass pedal on the shell of the set. That forced me to get over the "perfect distance between gear" thing...for a bit.

Recently, just going to kick/snare/hi hat/ crash and ride cymb in my country band has really helped...b/c there is nothing to adjust now. Now I just satisfy my OCD by checking out ladies in the crowd....

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I think that might count too Uncle Larry. You're still in the denial stage about your problem!

Weird, I dont change sound much at all. I know where I like my stuff in that aspect. It's the gear itself. Honestly I dont mess with the sound except tuning to the point of not even considering that as something to tweek. Never woulda crossed my mind.
Hey!

Let's get something straight.

I am NOT in denial. There's no problem here. YOU'RE the one in denial.

Time for you to exit my lawn!

:)

Love ya man!

MntnMan62

I am always looking for ways to make my drumming position more comfortable. So I'm always making minor adjustements to things to see how they feel. Even little minor tweeks can result in big improvement in how I "feel" behind the drums. So, yeah, I guess I am a tweeker.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

This and Bo's thread made me drop my throne hight a little yesterday, back to where it use to be and it made me realize that an 1/8" makes a huge difference on how the pedals feel/play. I had raised my throne because I was having back spasms a couple months ago. Now that I'm using more leg with the lower seat it's time to get back to normal.

The rest of my kit doesn't really move much, because everything is within comfortable reach. The last time I redesigned my kit was 4-5 years ago, and that was a major pain.

cbphoto

Gold Member
This and Bo's thread made me drop my throne hight a little yesterday,
After I gave away my screw-type Gibraltar, I bought a Tama hydraulic. Over time, its height would drift. Sometimes it felt low, others it felt a touch high. I wasn’t disappointed, and decided to live with it unless it fails. Now, ten years later, I can easily find “my height”. I know this Would drive some guys nuts, but the comfort it provides outweighs the five seconds it takes (every few weeks) to dial in its height.
So, I guess I am a tweaker.

C.M. Jones

On the topic of tuning, I have come to recognize that the Fifth Amendment is my greatest right as an American. I would add, as an essential clause, the liberty to tune in absolute privacy. Without such power, we drummers are condemned.

wraub

...I'm still working, and just finished a 6 day week, so, of course I came home and played for a bit. :D It was actually my first time behind the kit all week.
With this thread in mind as I sat and played, I realized my left side felt a little constricted. I was going to move a cymbal stand over and make little adjustments, but I started with moving the front leg of my seat about a half an inch, or a little less, to the right. Just the front, leaving the back ones as close to where they were as possible.
It changed everything, I feel more relaxed on the whole set, and no more constriction. A half an inch.

Otto

Platinum Member
Al you have to do is say "yes" and anyone who knows who you are by your username is open to interpret the term in a negative light.

Be aware of how you respond to things folks....

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Al you have to do is say "yes" and anyone who knows who you are by your username is open to interpret the term in a negative light.

Be aware of how you respond to things folks....
It was not meant as a drug reference at all. It was the most fitting term that I could think of to fit what I was asking. Fiddler, nope. Tinkerer, nope. Tweeker, absolutely. We tweek things all the time. To think, as an adult, that the idea of this thread has any other meaning than what is asked is just fishing for trouble. It's the right term for the question.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I think we all knew you meant "tweak".
Wait. Is there really a difference in spelling? If so, absolutely I'll fix it. Gonna check into it right now.

EDIT: Both spellings produce the same results, someone who constantly adjusts stuff; or a meth addict. Sorry folks, it's just a word.

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

Wait. Is there really a difference in spelling? If so, absolutely I'll fix it. Gonna check into it right now.

EDIT: Both spellings produce the same results, someone who constantly adjusts stuff; or a meth addict. Sorry folks, it's just a word.
Diction aside, any person of reasonable intelligence can immediately grasp your intent (i.e., adjusting your drum setup). Anyone who protests is either needlessly unpleasant or struggles to make sense of the most elementary terminology. Both conditions may apply in this case.