ARE YOU A DIVE BAR DRUMMER?

Call me whatever you want, just don't call me an A**Hole.

That said, if the money is there I'll play. Typically nothing less than $100 for 4 hours but will always welcome more!

Ya I like German Shepherds too, but it appears he just wrote stuff to goad people most of the time.

I don't think some people translate well to a forum.

I'm sure he's a great guy - he had fun in a lot of threads.

I'd rather be a dive bar drummer than a diva bar drummer

I can't judge any drummer starting out today, I learned at a time when my one semester of beginning band and TONS of gigs was enough to work as a drummer. Gigs and opportunities to play are less now and that's where you learn your craft. I couldn't have imagined making cover videos, playing with a beat bug, hybrid kits or drumming in a church. I asked for a book on tuning drums in a Boston music store in 1967, and the place erupted in laughter. As I slunk out the door some kind soul said 'tune the bottom head a little tighter' so I did. No youtube instruction, no teachers into any rock at that time, you had to just play 'no rules', goose would have loved it.

I'd rather be a dive bar drummer than a diva bar drummer

I can't judge any drummer starting out today, I learned at a time when my one semester of beginning band and TONS of gigs was enough to work as a drummer. Gigs and opportunities to play are less now and that's where you learn your craft. I couldn't have imagined making cover videos, playing with a beat bug, hybrid kits or drumming in a church. I asked for a book on tuning drums in a Boston music store in 1967, and the place erupted in laughter. As I slunk out the door some kind soul said 'tune the bottom head a little tighter' so I did. No youtube instruction, no teachers into any rock at that time, you had to just play 'no rules', goose would have loved it.
great eulogy to goose.

I hope Goose72 returns. He may have been off-putting to some, but I enjoyed his posts overall. What a lot of people find offensive, I find humorous. Thick skin is an asset.

Per previous comments on German Shepherds:

Here's a photo of my former German Shepherd, a first-generation American (his parents were imported from Germany). He was 115 pounds of pure frame and muscle, a faithful protector of his home, and a beloved member of the family. We lost him in 2015, when he was eight-years-old. His stomach twisted, an all too common problem in the breed, and though we raced him in for emergency surgery, survival just wasn't in the cards. Easily the worst experience of my life. I haven't had another dog since.

Attachments

• 2007.jpg
    2007.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 6
I hope Goose72 returns. He may have been off-putting to some, but I enjoyed his posts overall. What a lot of people find offensive, I find humorous. Thick skin is an asset.

Here's a photo of my former German Shepherd, a first-generation American (his parents were imported from Germany). He was 115 pounds of pure frame and muscle, a faithful protector of his home, and a beloved member of the family. We lost him in 2015, when he was eight-years-old. His stomach twisted, an all too common problem in the breed, and though we raced him in for emergency surgery, survival just wasn't in the cards. Easily the worst experience of my life. I haven't had another dog since.
That's horrible, poor guy. You should try again. Dogs are wonderful.

I played drums for a while as a teen 40 years ago and gave up...I got back into it last year at 60 after playing bass in dive bars/clubs for 40 years on and off.
The weird thing is some of it has come back, trad grip, kit set up etc and I'm having a blast in my room....I'm meeting some guys next week cause their doing some nice 70's stuff, Dobie Gray, Atlanta Rythmn Section, Genesis, etc ..cant wait, its real exciting.

Last edited:
What's your playing level? Advanced - Never played as a profession, always as a hobby. Some formal training in high school marching and concert bands, college jazz ensembles, private lessons. Mostly self-taught.

What style do you play? Contemporary jazz, pop, RnB, rock; jazz swing standards; big band jazz; some funk, jazz fusion; country, some rock; some latin jazz;

Have I played dive bars? Yes, mainly in my college days with Ludovic Goubet and The Tuscalypsos playing bars around the Tuscaloosa area (The Chukker in the downtown area). Various open mics including The Baked Potato in LA, Norwood's in North Hills, CA, Humphrey's Backstage Live, San Diego.

What other venues have I played?
Raffa De Alaska and The Deadliest Catch Band
- New Years Eve 2014 at The Eastburn bar and grill, Portland, OR
- Main stage at 2015 Cinco De Mayo, Portland, OR (Tom McCall Waterfront Park)
- A 2015 talent show at a flea market in Hillsboro, OR
- A handful of mexican restaurant gigs
New Horizons Big Band, Tualatin, OR 2015
- Various gigs at nursing homes and outdoor festivals in the Portland area
Bob Dreifort Big Band, Cleveland, OH 2018
- Driveway gig at Bob's house for the neighborhood
Portland Jazz School 2019
- The 1905 bar and grill, Portland, 2019
Minnehahas, Beaverton, OR
- Farmers market in Beaverton, OR in 2019

Have you been paid to drum? Yes, but not that often as I have a day job in software engineering.

Have you taught? No.

I only recently got my first dog and now I totally understand it...its just like a child - Sorry for your loss.

(You should give it another go - they are wonderful)

This is my little man - Ghost. Not quite a German Shepard - but equally brave haha.

Attachments

• IMG_1356_40.jpg
    IMG_1356_40.jpg
    935.9 KB · Views: 7
I only recently got my first dog and now I totally understand it...its just like a child - Sorry for your loss.

(You should give it another go - they are wonderful)

This is my little man - Ghost. Not quite a German Shepard - but equally brave haha.
Aww, your doggie is so cute! What kind of dog is he?

Aww, your doggie is so cute! What kind of dog is he?

Well he was supposed to be a Chihuahua - but I'm not super sure! He's a lot cuter than most Chihuahuas - we are thinking about doing one of DNA tests to see what he is!

He's a little guy for sure.

I'm in the rockabilly scene & before COVID, did a lot of car shows, pin up contests, burlesque shows, festivals & a few dive bars. I'm in a 3 piece and play standing up (ala Slim Jim Phantom from Stray Cats), so the stage look is great.
I'd clear about $50-$80 a gig & 90% of it went back into my drums. It's allowed me to have good, pro gear that's afforded me better sound at said gigs.

When all this is over, I'll get back on stage & hit the bars again as they were an easy gig to get. Some would pay a percentage of the door or bar sales, others a flat rate. Either way, I was happy as I'm not playing to eat. It's just for fun money or gear improvements.

I'm in the rockabilly scene & before COVID, did a lot of car shows, pin up contests, burlesque shows, festivals & a few dive bars. I'm in a 3 piece and play standing up (ala Slim Jim Phantom from Stray Cats), so the stage look is great.
I'd clear about $50-$80 a gig & 90% of it went back into my drums. It's allowed me to have good, pro gear that's afforded me better sound at said gigs.

When all this is over, I'll get back on stage & hit the bars again as they were an easy gig to get. Some would pay a percentage of the door or bar sales, others a flat rate. Either way, I was happy as I'm not playing to eat. It's just for fun money or gear improvements.

same here!!! Just joined a rockabilly band 3 years ago (we also do old country and some jump blues)...love playing the car shows etc...

make about the same per gig, and it is all going towards a cocktail drum to use with the group...

it is all going towards a cocktail drum to use with the group...
I had a Club Jordan cocktail kit for a while. Awesome for smaller venues, but didn't give me the punch I needed for larger shows unless there was a front of house guy with mic's (which wasn't very often).

We too play some covers & love the response we get. It's truly a great style & scene to be in.

Back