"Are those your drums?" - Letterman

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
He knows just how proud musicians typically are of their instruments. A true host, making his guests feel special...

A

Anthony Amodeo

I always wondered what he was saying to the drummer as they went to commercial

good stuff

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I love that he asks if they're the drummers or a rental.

I'm actually surprised how many guys answered they were indeed their own drums.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I love that he asks if they're the drummers or a rental.

I'm actually surprised how many guys answered they were indeed their own drums.
I would figure that the cats passing through NYC on tour would be using their own kit or at least the endorsement kit that they are using for that tour which is basically theirs

and the one off Letterman gig cats playing for bands that are not native to the area will have something they got from SIR

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I would figure that the cats passing through NYC on tour would be using their own kit or at least the endorsement kit that they are using for that tour which is basically theirs

and the one off Letterman gig cats playing for bands that are not native to the area will have something they got from SIR
Yeah.

Just most of the bands passing thru have other gigs where their real set is, and the TV appearance is just a rental from SIR. If Letterman is like Leno/Carson, taping is 5pm, and the bands often have a regular show later that night.

Granted, the rentals are almost always identical to the touring kit.

A

Anthony Amodeo

Yeah.

Just most of the bands passing thru have other gigs where their real set is, and the TV appearance is just a rental from SIR. If Letterman is like Leno/Carson, taping is 5pm, and the bands often have a regular show later that night.

Granted, the rentals are almost always identical to the touring kit.
ah ...good point

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
I've often noticed that Letterman asks this question. Why's he so interested in the drummer's kit?

You never see him ask the guitar or bass player if they're playing their own instruments.

Hmmm?

A

Anthony Amodeo

I've often noticed that Letterman asks this question. Why's he so interested in the drummer's kit?

You never see him ask the guitar or bass player if they're playing their own instruments.

Hmmm?
a guitar is easily carried anywhere
especially on planes

drum kits are very often rented when playing the late night television shows ....which are actually filmed early in the day

Toolate

Platinum Member
He knows just how proud musicians typically are of their instruments. A true host, making his guests feel special...
Some old host (Carson?) must have casually said something like "always compliment the drummer" and just caught him at the right moment in life and now he has to do it every time. Seems like he likes them too but he must be driven by something to ask that every time.

Unless he's just killing time between ads.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
"Nice job on those rentals" Hilarious
"Whats the difference between a French Horn and an English horn?"
"I'm no beginner" Classic