Are these 80s tamas???

I found this on facebook. they want $500 for 2 bass drums two floor toms two racks toms roto toms cymbals / hardware... . do these look like 80s imperial stars?? he called them omnistars... no info on those that i could find. Sorry for the dumb post but just wanted to see anybodys sleuth skills before i drive an hour half. def want them if they are 80s mij tamas.

Attachments

• 116593996_3112619012179578_194598792559304692_n.jpg
    116593996_3112619012179578_194598792559304692_n.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 60

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
This is a bit worrisome regardless:

20210101_152837.jpg

With the way the snare is just kinda thrown in there, I'm guessing that bearing edge is ruined also.

SharkSandwich

They look like 80s era Imperialstars.

SharkSandwich

Impossible to tell if the wrap and edges are in decent shape. It would be a project for sure.

IBitePrettyHard

I found this on facebook. they want $500 for 2 bass drums two floor toms two racks toms roto toms cymbals / hardware... . do these look like 80s imperial stars?? he called them omnistars... no info on those that i could find. Sorry for the dumb post but just wanted to see anybodys sleuth skills before i drive an hour half. def want them if they are 80s mij tamas.
Definitely ask him for more pictures. And better pictures. Also ask if there's any identifying marks inside the shells or on the badges.

You can compare them to all the 80s Tama Imperialstar kits that sold on Reverb. Everything matches.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I found this on facebook. they want $500 for 2 bass drums two floor toms two racks toms roto toms cymbals / hardware... . do these look like 80s imperial stars??
Look like Imperialstars to me. Bearing edges can be re-cut. It looks like the bottom floor tom has both hoops/heads on it. An 18" perhaps. So the one above it, really seems like the only "dicey" drum (pictured anyways). Maybe ask the seller for some better pictures. $500 would be a steal, if they're in any kind of salvageable shape. Don't know your "feelings" on roto-toms ..... the chrome on chrome ones are the most desirable. If that's a vintage Imperialstar snare ..... those sell for $200+ alone. They're nice enough steel snares, but if it's not your cup of tea .... sell it off. I'd sell off the roto's and the snare ..... and any other misc. hardware I don't need ..... and you're looking at a $200-$300 Tama 80's rock double bass kit.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Looks like Imperialstar or Swingstar based on the lug design.

The 10 lugs on the bass drum implies Imperialstar over Swingstar.

If it's a good deal or not I suppose comes down to the cymbals, because the drums look pretty rough.

Look like Imperialstars to me. Bearing edges can be re-cut. It looks like the bottom floor tom has both hoops/heads on it. An 18" perhaps. So the one above it, really seems like the only "dicey" drum (pictured anyways). Maybe ask the seller for some better pictures. $500 would be a steal, if they're in any kind of salvageable shape. Don't know your "feelings" on roto-toms ..... the chrome on chrome ones are the most desirable. If that's a vintage Imperialstar snare ..... those sell for $200+ alone. They're nice enough steel snares, but if it's not your cup of tea .... sell it off. I'd sell off the roto's and the snare ..... and any other misc. hardware I don't need ..... and you're looking at a $200-$300 Tama 80's rock double bass kit.

Right on thanks man this is just the advice i needed. I will check back in a few and post pics if it turns out to be a score. I found an 84 imperialstar kit at an antique store a couple weeks ago that didnt come with floor toms so ive been on the search ever since and this popped up.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
It seems a bit expensive even if there’s a lot of equipment. You will need to find a lot of Tom lugs and probably bass drum spurs, nuts. Elbow grease isn’t a probably a problem but I’m not convinced the kit is worth it.
if the snare is the original steel with die cast hoops, the price is ok. And possibly some good surprises with the cymbals.

mikyok

Platinum Member
If you get them I'd lose a tom from the set up and use the parts from it to make a great 5 piece.

You'll still need to put a lot of work in but ultimately it's up to you to decide if it's worth the time and money. It is an Imperial star in a very Copeland finish though!

Well.. pulled the trigger... i think it was a fair deal! definitely pre 81'. drum shells / wood in good condition bearing edges are fine if not perfect for the age even with the sketch snare drum in there. wraps are beat up but doesnt bother me because i plan on keeping them. im addicted to mij imperialstars right now ever since finding out about them a month ago. sound really fantastic. snare is a king beat in fair condition missing one original die cast hoop replaced with a pearl..

cymbals he had were 21" rock ride and 18" medium crash in nice condition.

tons of hardware some original 70s tama inculding original i feel bad breaking up the kit but im probably going to part them out and keep what i need.

did not realize that the lugs would be super fragile i broke about six of them screwing them back in slowly...

Attachments

• PXL_20210110_223647539.jpg
    PXL_20210110_223647539.jpg
    512.3 KB · Views: 28

harryconway

Platinum Member
Well.. pulled the trigger... i think it was a fair deal!

did not realize that the lugs would be super fragile i broke about six of them screwing them back in slowly...
Glad you got them. Congrats. I have a Royalstar kit, and its boat tail lugs are even more fragile than the Imperialstar lugs. Sell off what you don't need, and that'll not only lower your purchase price, but pay for replacement lugs and spares. 1 up, 2 down. Love it !!!

SomeBadDrummer

Love the fact that you got this vintage kit just can’t understand how you broke 6 lugs turning them slowly? Are you using a torque wrench? Take your time, clean and adjust things with patients and care and nothing should break.

Love the fact that you got this vintage kit just can’t understand how you broke 6 lugs turning them slowly? Are you using a torque wrench? Take your time, clean and adjust things with patients and care and nothing should break.
I have no idea maybe their age??? I gave everything a soap bath wd-40ed everything... Bass drum lugs had no problem. Seriously brittle broke right off the screw with one tiny tiny turn

SomeBadDrummer

I have no idea maybe their age??? I gave everything a soap bath wd-40ed everything... Bass drum lugs had no problem. Seriously brittle broke right off the screw with one tiny tiny turn
Okay sounds like you did everything you could...Age can definitely make a difference and if they were never oiled then would be much more brittle for sure. Vintage lugs (and everything) as you know can be pricey...I recently paid $40 for two bare bones leg mounts...
Good luck with getting your kit ready for play!

mpthomson

They're notoriously fragile lugs, along with a number of other Tama lugs from that era.