Are there simple things you struggle with even though you've been playing a while?

Yamaha Rider

"Correct" grip.
Double stroke rolls.
Burying the beater.
Breathing right.
Tuning.

All symptoms of being self-taught... I wasn't even aware that some of these were issues until I started perusing DW a few years ago.
Breathing right? The old 'In - out' or 'Out - in' dilemma? 😉

Yamaha Rider

I can play doubles if it comes a 16th note before the downbeat but I really struggle to be consistent when the first note is actually on the downbeat (like the main beat of "I want you back" by Jackson 5 or "Fake Happy" by Paramore). Gets really frustrating.

Also complicated bass drum patterns while keeping time with my left foot. I'm supposed to shift my weight to my left foot, but then I won't get loud "chick" sound! What am I supposed to do?

Also I can't play any of those gospel chops everyone seems to be playing nowadays, I guess I'm just not talented enough.
Gospel chops? Why would you?!!

Yamaha Rider

Uncle Larry, here is a cheaters method to the solo, or what I used to do if I needed to solo: do the fills from the song. Back to back. The audience doesnt know any better, and you already know the fills. Play those dudes over and over if you must. Pick one and play 8 versions of it. No one cares really.

I'm surprised you are solo conscious. Arent you the one who said no one even notices but other drummers? Dont worry about it!
Cool tip!

C.M. Jones

This seems like the next step. Abandon the rules, abandon the social anxiety. Dance like no ones watching. That's great if you can dance lol. OMG I'm having a panic attack lol.

It's just that I feel the audience has these high expectations of me, because like I said, I am a damn fine accompanist lol.

As much as I promote don't the think, feel approach, I can't seem to follow my own advice when I solo.
I know what you mean. Telling yourself not to think about something only ensures that you'll think about it. I hope you're able to strike a comfortable balance once we can all get out and play again. Just let some of your confidence as a first-rate "accompanist" bleed into your solos. Accompanying is what drumming is all about anyway. Your audience will appreciate, consciously or unconsciously, the foundational function you serve in songs more than the specifics of your solos.

Paul Blood

I've been playing a good 43 years now and yeah. there's all sorts of stuff I should probably be a lot better at by now!

I guess specifically, my hands aren't all that fast. I think I can play cleanly and relaxed,I can play most of the snare drum solos from the typical books up to tempo, but I seen so many young drummers just playing for a few years with really fast hands. I have a 17 year student that can play paradidles as 16th at 270. I do feel good that I was able to help guide him to get his hands so fast. I guess the coach doesn't have to run as fast his athletes.

But my hands have never given me any issues such tendinitis, nor have my hands been a hindrance on any thing that I'd actually play on a real gig, so I'm pretty much at peace with the hand spend I have. We all can't be Buddy Rich, right?

Last edited:

Dirtysticks

Gospel chops? Why would you?!!
Many of what is categorized as “gospel chops” is and has been utilized by so many before they became seen as “gospel chops.” Weckl, Vinnie, Coleman, Sput, Jordan, Sucherman, Larnell, Royster, Bruner Jr., Pridgen, Moore, Spears and so many more do fills and feels in their playing that are used as “gospel chops” by drummers in gospel music. These are the drummers and so many more where these gospel drummers take influence. Most of the well known drummers from gospel music are not even “gospel” drummers, but rather drummers who play all types of music while also playing in a gospel setting in which they got their start. When used in band and musical settings with proper placement, there’s no issue and when used in a trading 4’s or 8’s setting, it’s all in good fun.