Are there any restrictions on your drumkit that add more character?

Mike_b

I used to work as a houseman, whenever we set the tables if we did it a little bit half-assed we would just consider it as having character LOL.

So anyway I was talking to this guy about high hats. He asked me what makes a good hi-hat? Answer, I told him if you don't need to replace it and the clamps and mechanism are still good that means you bought a good hi-hat.

Problema: when I bought my hi-hat stand I jumped at it for the price being so low so essentially it broke and now my kit has a high hat that doesn't close or open it always stays on the closed mode LOL

BUT, since I was too proud to replace it I simply threw a tambourine on top of it that way like I said it grew character if that makes any sense LOL.

Do you guys have any quirks about your drum's restrictions? Or am I just being silly...

Serious question, just a little bit bored.

Have you taken it apart? The spring may have slipped past the seat. If this is the case, a washer will fix it for you.

Other than placement and room space, no restrictions that I can think of.

On my duo rig, I restrict myself on purpose. No hi-hats, no mounted tom and only one cymbal. I use a variety of shaky things and different brushes to approximate the hi-hat sound. The drums and hardware are not restricted mechanically in any way, though.

B4AD4191-A53A-42DA-A5A5-5EF86FA554D8.jpeg

Kick, snare, hats, ride and crash only.

As someone whose standard set-up was a 5-piece kit and 7 cymbals for years these limitations are certainly felt. It might be a placebo effect, but I do believe that my sense of groove, time and dynamics have improved since I started the experiment.

You have (with impunity) to have hats snd a crash/ride, snare, and bass drum- then your choice of one or none toms. Why? Because if more than one they mate and next thing you know you’ve got a big family of toms. No double pedal- it has to be two bass drums, because the double pedal is cheating. Only real sticks too- no rods or plastic- though wire brushes ok. and the absolute must of being able to play your pedal with no spring - if you can’t you’re not worthy. Then no slumping slouching or any facial gesture that isn’t a smile. So yeah I’m taking up sax.

On my duo rig, I restrict myself on purpose. No hi-hats, no mounted tom and only one cymbal. I use a variety of shaky things and different brushes to approximate the hi-hat sound. The drums and hardware are not restricted mechanically in any way, though.

View attachment 98141

I've always done the same thing for straight ahead jazz gigs - I find that one good cymbal can usually get me all the timbers I need for swinging away.

I do hats though - that left foot needs a job.

I've always done the same thing for straight ahead jazz gigs - I find that one good cymbal can usually get me all the timbers I need for swinging away.

I do hats though - that left foot needs a job.

Agreed. I have one of those little foot tambourines that I use and sometimes I'll throw a maraca in the shoe.

I’ve honestly never done anything to knowingly/deliberately restrict my options...other players might find my set up restricting and characterful though?! (y) :D

Minimalist stands.
The rockabilly scene spoiled me on bringing as little as possible to do a show. As I'm a stand up player on those, I basically had the Slim Jim Phantom set up.
Now, for my home kit, I have 2 overbuilt stands that hold the rack tom, crash & splash cymbals. Then the second holds the ride, and another crash held up with a Dogbone accessory.
Small footprint for all the accessories I'll need. Makes stage guys happy too.

Minimalist stands.
The rockabilly scene spoiled me on bringing as little as possible to do a show. As I'm a stand up player on those, I basically had the Slim Jim Phantom set up.
Now, for my home kit, I have 2 overbuilt stands that hold the rack tom, crash & splash cymbals. Then the second holds the ride, and another crash held up with a Dogbone accessory.
Small footprint for all the accessories I'll need. Makes stage guys happy too.

same here...I don't stand, but I only bring my kick, snare, hats and a good crash ride

I need to get a taller snare stand to get standing up...tht is in the works though

but also am actually getting a cocktail drum specially built here in the new year...then I can stand for sure

but also am actually getting a cocktail drum specially built here in the new year...then I can stand for sure

I had a Club Jordan kit for a while. Loved the portability of it & how fast I was on & off the stage. Plus it gave a unique stage look that many bands don't (or won't) do.
Bob Stubbs of Social D & the Rhythm Dragons gave me his secret to playing that way: Keep moving. If you lock everything up, your hip will give out & you won't last the set.
It's been great ever since.

Just the fact that I use 17” hi hats, which lack the “chick” sound, is the most restrictive. I can execute everything else but that. So I just compensate for the lack of “chick”.

Explains the avatar pic... that’s the chick you’re missing with the big hats.

:D

Back