Are remote hi hats/aux hats worth it?

Exactly the same conclusion I came to.
That is exactly why I would get them, I love how the house kit is NEVER setup correctly and how you NEVER have time to change anything before your set starts and basically by the time you get a chance 3/4 of your set are already done so you just leave it the way you found it.
I only have to move the stool because having long legs is not something most others have.. (I am 6'5' if I try to play in their setup I would be hitting the bass drum with my knee)...but anyway I like the challenge as it sometimes makes it fun to play even boringly easy songs because of the ackwardness..

A remote cable hi-hat is absolutely worth it! You should invest in the DW, especially if you have a double bass set. My hi-hats are now mounted in front of me, and above my 13" and 14" toms. The toms and cable hat are mounted on one 9000 series double tom stand with a gibraltar attachment for mounting the cable hat. No more crossing over! My 10" and 12" toms take the place of where a conventional hi-hat stand would be, making it easier to get around all my toms in a comfortable arc. The cable hat pedal mounts directly next to my left bass drum pedal.

I'm not experiencing any lag whatsoever with the cable. Plus, I love the fact that you can take the cable on and off quickly and easily with a drum key! My first cable hat was a Pearl and that was a real bummer the night the cable snapped!

I recently just added a Pearl Remote Hi Hat stand and 18” Meinl Deep Hats to my kit.

They sound so different from my normal hats that I actually love that I added them.

Do I need them? No. But Is it cool to get a dry effects sounding hi hat sound that I can control with my foot, yes.

LOL it does take some getting used to 3 pedals on my left side. I just need to remember to switch pedals when I move to different hats

When I tried my first double pedal I took to it right away.
However, having the hats in the center required a brief period of acclimatization!

When I tried my first double pedal I took to it right away.
However, having the hats in the center required a brief period of acclimatization!
Sounds interesting, can you post some pics?

If I understand your question right you're asking about having two sets of hi hats. Usually Drummers that play a lot of double bass like metal players for fusion players use two sets of high hats. That way they always have a set of hats to go to in the closed position without having to drop their main hat to play dbl kick. I have an auxiliary hat that I've not used in a while but when I was using it, it opens up some new opportunities that a single hat can't do. You can use them in cojunction with each other. I have a tambourine on my main hats which can be played with my foot while I'm riding a sloshing auxiliary hat. They can both be accented at the same time making it bigger more pronounced. There's lots of little things that can be done with two hats. But if I'm not playing metal I don't use two. I just use the basic 4 or 5 pc. kit 2 crashes and a ride. For a long time I wasn't in a band and I kept a large kit set up at with lots of cymbals. That's when I was using 2 hats. Now I'm playing in 2 bands and neither band needs 2 hats. I'm 61 and don't haul any more gear than I need to.
Thanks lefty,good info, and thanks to your help just got that nice Tama Aux HH mount. Iam giving them a try was working in the gary chester book The New Breed and he stated about Hats on the the right helping not to interupt the time of your groove when doing fills on the right side and getting back to the hats when riding them. i am not a super drummer around the kit ,but i have a good pocket. and i will also try an effects cymbal for different sounds. I seen an article once about Gear,don't buy what you want,buy what you need ! and buy gear that will have many uses in your playing. that always stuck in my head. Keep up the good work Drummers !!

I’ve decided against the remote hi hat based on my own recent experiences and reading various posts on this, and other, forums. I may purchase an aux hat at some point, but will work on improving my technique for now.

I use a remote and really like it. I have several sets of hats that are very different sounding from my 2002s. Pictured are 18 inch Swiss hats. The pedals are close enough together that I can play both sets at the same time.

Attachments

• remote hat.jpg
    remote hat.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 2
This aux hi hat thing really came into vogue if you worked out of Gary Chesters’ “New Breed” and followed Dave Weckl. Of course, in that context, you used it a lot because Gary was all about being able to do everything with both sides of your body. And as technical exercises, it made sense - in fact, Gary’s thing was having TWO aux hi hats in addition to your regular hats - something Weckl didn’t do in public.

but to be honest, all people want from me is solid time in a simple manner, and there’s already so much you can do with your basic 4-piece and one hi hat. Look at Gadd - he just has the basics. Look at Weckl and Jojo, and they’ll have all this extra stuff. You can do whatever you want, but look at the music you play to determine what gear you need for it.

. . .but to be honest, all people want from me is solid time in a simple manner, and there’s already so much you can do with your basic 4-piece and one hi hat.
This encapsulates my drumming philosophy. I'd rather be creative with fewer pieces than enslave myself to a massive setup overflowing with accessories. The vast bulk of music can be adapted to a four-piece kit, though I recognize that some styles call for more options than others.

If for double bass the the closed hat is nice sometimes, i used a aux hot closed and a drop clutch too ,if you want a closed hat with double bass get the drop clutch first, if you talking like meine micro hats for a second sound of course you need two holders

Back