Are overpriced drums worth it ? A Defence of mapex

I'll probably never agree that a drum is just a drum.

Can they all do the job? Yes, but we all have different tastes and the tone is worth it of you get it.

To me it's been clear that there are two models I like. Gretsch US Customs and Gretsch Broadkaster.

With the reason I'm working on a court case came also the reason I fell off the standard train of regular reasonable income. I choose therefore to focus on things I could do something about and put the money I did have into outdoor gear and certain long term health investments.

Eventually I'll get drums of all sizes in thse two models I like and then I'll more or less be done with the basic drumset thing. Not saying I'll never get something else and there's certainly a lot of other percussion I've been looking at.

Now, when I do gig for others, which is the standard thing as my own band plans are on the back burner, I generally play house kits. People don't mind. It's more or less expected. I generally just bring everything but the toms and BD. The kits are usually Stage Customs or some other Yamaha one step above from various eras. It's fine.

I have nothing against Mapex drum other than that I simply don't like the sound. It's not like I'm a total Gretsch fanboy either as I don't care for the Brooklyns at all. It's what I want, so as long as the price is within reach I don't care. Until then the Catalina's doing just fine for me compared to other things. I'll always have them. I'm not too semtimental about them and they are light and easy to carry. If I was getting a small bop kit on a budget I'd go up to a Renown and probably change the hoops, too. There's a joke to be had that almost each of my snare drums cost more than the rest of the kit, but that just speaks to how important snares are.

I live in China and I'd like to support my local economy too - unless, of course, if it's a knockoff.
I've noticed that, once a drum companies successfully creates a "bang for the buck" line, they will promptly discontinue them so as not to eat into the sales of the higher lines. Victims include: Ludwig Club Date (USA, SE, and Element SE), Gretsch Marquee, Tama original Imperialstar, PDP Classic, Zildjian Amir, Paiste Alpha, etc.. :(

Weird fact time. In all the years I played bass I never once considered the tone of the drums behind me, and I cant even remember any fellow band mates commenting on tone either but keys, guitars, vox definitely, and we all suffered endless arguments over band sound, arrangements and maybe a drum "fill or groove" that wasn't quite right etc etc ...but drum tone ...never.

The average consumer has no idea how important this is. All they understand is China. Once the word China shows up, everything else goes out the window. I'm surprised we have such a love affair with their food.

Well - that's because American "chinese" food resembles real Chinese food about as much as Pizza Hut resembles Italian cuisine.

That makes two of us at least then. I bought a Saturn V in Hybrid Red/Blue Sparkle lacquer in May 2017, have gigged it at least twice monthly since then up until Covid and I've got nothing but good things to say about it.
I have that exact same finish of Saturn V...I absolutely love the set and I don't play out or anything....with that said it's not my dream set.
If I have the chance to get a Tama Star Walunt, Tama Starclassic Bubinga, DW Collectors Purpleheart, or a Hendrix Archetype Ambrosia maple, it's gone.

I got a "dated, out of style" older Yamaha kit used- it's extremely well built, sounds good and tunes easily (and stays tuned), and isn't the same kit everybody has. There may be valid reasons for that, but none apparent to me in playing them.

Are they the best drums ever? Possibly not. But, they were absolutely the best quality I could afford, and the price I paid is lower than some starter sets on CL, especially these days. I have no regrets at all.

I would like a high-dollar, pulls no punches set someday, but for me, for now, used was my way into drumming without compromise on my part over build quality. Besides, I should probably improve some as a drummer before I think of such things. ;)

Overpriced is subjective imo, but expensive is real.

Weird fact time. In all the years I played bass I never once considered the tone of the drums behind me, and I cant even remember any fellow band mates commenting on tone either but keys, guitars, vox definitely, and we all suffered endless arguments over band sound, arrangements and maybe a drum "fill or groove" that wasn't quite right etc etc ...but drum tone ...never.

That's the thing, once the drums are "in the mix", and you listen to the band/group as a whole--the tone you hear behind the kit during soundcheck or whatnot, mostly disappears. This is why I'll never buy a really nice high end kit. I can spend a couple hundred on heads, with a mediocre or simply "not as" expensive kit and still be able to get a great sound (to my ears).

But, if I hit the lottery one day, I will definitely have a nice DW kit added to the collection.

That's the thing, once the drums are "in the mix", and you listen to the band/group as a whole--the tone you hear behind the kit during soundcheck or whatnot, mostly disappears. This is why I'll never buy a really nice high end kit. I can spend a couple hundred on heads, with a mediocre or simply "not as" expensive kit and still be able to get a great sound (to my ears).

But, if I hit the lottery one day, I will definitely have a nice DW kit added to the collection.
I think many owners of more high end sets simply play at home without a band or in a mix, so to speak. In that scenario, the nuances of drums is more apparent. I'm now one of those at home only players, so I find the subtleties of drums stand out to me because they're all I hear when I'm playing. I have two sets...neither are particularly high end, but they sound and feel very different in my at home, controlled environment.

If I were playing in a band, I'd be fine using either set because I can tune them closely enough to where even I wouldn't notice a huge difference in sound in the mix with a band.

Did you hear about the drummer who locked his keys in his car? It took them 2 and half hours to get the bass player out! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hey... It was comfy in there.

Did you hear about the drummer who locked his keys in his car? It took them 2 and half hours to get the bass player out! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Took ages to read through, but all very interesting and valid points. I can agree that Yamaha drums sound "sterile", unless one can afford the PHX. They make magnificent hardware. A veneer is still real wood with actual grain, anything printed becomes a wrap by definition. Tree origin is marketing gimmickry. Wood characteristics vary based on environmental conditions and those vary globally, daily. Different woods do produce different tones that are audible in comparison, the audience and casual listener will never hear them. Your drums, like your vehicle or wardrobe, are precisely that; Yours. The right choice is the one that makes you smile when you play. Something is overpriced only if its build quality is substandard for the cost.

I think i just looked up walnut/maple drum sets or something. You're right though. There's not a lot to choose from.

I think many owners of more high end sets simply play at home without a band or in a mix, so to speak. In that scenario, the nuances of drums is more apparent. I'm now one of those at home only players, so I find the subtleties of drums stand out to me because they're all I hear when I'm playing. I have two sets...neither are particularly high end, but they sound and feel very different in my at home, controlled environment.

If I were playing in a band, I'd be fine using either set because I can tune them closely enough to where even I wouldn't notice a huge difference in sound in the mix with a band.
I'm one of those too...I haven't played out in probably 17 years(though it's killing me sometimes lol)....I still play at home constantly...Maybe things will get to the point where I can play out again...I'll have no problems taking my Saturn V out but if I was able to get one of my dream sets, no way that'll ever see a stage.

I've been playing cheaper kits my whole drumming life. They've always sounded good, but there was always something lacking. Sometimes they lacked low end, sometimes they wouldn't hold tuning, or the hardware would come loose, tension rods binding etc... Most expensive was about $700.

I just got my most expensive kit, a Gretsch renown. Being a 1 up 2 down, and buying the matching snare, it was just under 2k. Everything my other kits lacked, it has. The only box it doesn't check is being U.S. made. But is a U.S. made price worth it? To me it's almost worth it, but they are to rich for my blood. If there is a color I want in a configuration I want, I will pay more instead of settling. I've settled too many times.

If the quality is there, I don't consider it over priced, and the Renowns are a heck of a lot of drum. So are many others in the same price range. In the same room, with the same heads and tuning, I can pick out the differences. Even more so between a higher and lower end kit. And I have to say, if someone can swing it, the 1k plus kits are worth it. Especially if you can pick out the differences in tone. For a gig kit, not so much.

I can't hotrod a drum as cheaply as I can a guitar. For guitars, if the wood is good I can do a lot to it. My favorite guitar to play is a sub $200 Squier Bullet Telecaster that I dropped in Duncan Quarter Pounds, swapped the saddles for machined ones, upgraded the electronics, and did a full fret job. For under 500 I have a better playing piece of kit than any of the off the wall U.S. Fenders I've tried. I wish drums were that easy to hotrod, but a full head change is pricy enough.

I just got my most expensive kit, a Gretsch renown. Being a 1 up 2 down, and buying the matching snare, it was just under 2k. Everything my other kits lacked, it has. The only box it doesn't check is being U.S. made. But is a U.S. made price worth it? To me it's almost worth it, but they are to rich for my blood. If there is a color I want in a configuration I want, I will pay more instead of settling. I've settled too many times.

If the quality is there, I don't consider it over priced, and the Renowns are a heck of a lot of drum. So are many others in the same price range. In the same room, with the same heads and tuning, I can pick out the differences. Even more so between a higher and lower end kit. And I have to say, if someone can swing it, the 1k plus kits are worth it. Especially if you can pick out the differences in tone. For a gig kit, not so much.
Clearly I'm biased but the Renown is indeed a heck of a kit. The shells, hoops, finishes and hardware are all top-notch. It feels like you'd have to spend a LOT more to get something even just a bit better. Diminishing returns and all that...

Anyway, I've owned a top of the line kit before and the only reason I would (will) go back to one is for pride of ownership. For me it's more of a "want" than a "need" at this point.

Clearly I'm biased but the Renown is indeed a heck of a kit. The shells, hoops, finishes and hardware are all top-notch. It feels like you'd have to spend a LOT more to get something even just a bit better. Diminishing returns and all that...

Anyway, I've owned a top of the line kit before and the only reason I would (will) go back to one is for pride of ownership. For me it's more of a "want" than a "need" at this point.
I feel you there. I really want a made in the states kit, but I don't need one. Especially when I got everything else I wanted. Now if I was going for a more unconventional sizes, I would have to step up a price bracket.

I would love a 14/18/24 in a transparent forest green lacquer. But for affordability I would have to buy some Keller shells with pre cut edges. And I can't paint worth a darn.

I went from cheap to less cheap, and it's a welcome change. That said, I look at my drums like I look at my basses- if I can get a good sound from less expensive gear, I'm completely okay with that.

I have 3 Squier basses and one Squier guitar, and, because I am me, they are all unusual and modded. :) Also, they all are well made, play well, and, sound excellent. No worries.

My drums are similarly considered out of style, but imo sound very good. No worries.

I'm making music with minimal funds, but the music doesn't know that. ;)

I've been playing cheaper kits my whole drumming life. They've always sounded good, but there was always something lacking. Sometimes they lacked low end, sometimes they wouldn't hold tuning, or the hardware would come loose, tension rods binding etc... Most expensive was about $700.

I can't hotrod a drum as cheaply as I can a guitar. For guitars, if the wood is good I can do a lot to it. My favorite guitar to play is a sub $200 Squier Bullet Telecaster that I dropped in Duncan Quarter Pounds, swapped the saddles for machined ones, upgraded the electronics, and did a full fret job. For under 500 I have a better playing piece of kit than any of the off the wall U.S. Fenders I've tried. I wish drums were that easy to hotrod, but a full head change is pricy enough.

Back