Are overpriced drums worth it ? A Defence of mapex

8Mile

Platinum Member
If you want a set of drums and you can afford it, you should get it. I subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" approach. You may pay more money now to get what you want, but in the end, you'll be happier and you may even save money by not spending more money replacing a set you were never quite happy with. Just save up and get what you want the first time.

Sound is, of course, important, but all the good drum companies make drums that sound good. Deciding whether a drum set is worth what it costs is personal. There may be something about a certain brand that speaks to you and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Could be the finish, the look of the badge, the history of the company, where it's made, the fact that your favorite drummer played it. All of that is valid to me.

The point I'm getting at is I don't think we need to justify our purchases to ourselves. To a spouse? Absolutely! But not to ourselves.

NouveauCliche

That's what I like about them. I miss the days of over-the-top 80's......back when a rock show was a show. The drums themselves were artistic/individualistic/iconic and not something that looked just like the beginner kit in the catalogue and the drummer actually moved more than his wrists and fingers behind the kit.

If my current shell pack didn't fit my (lack of) needs so perfectly right now, I'd be all over that Mastersound Stadium kit.
If there's one thing that's true about drums - every decade or so there's a shift in what's trendy and I think big ol' kits with concert toms or power toms are up next.

I'd love to sit down behind you kit sometime man - I've honestly never played anything like that.

J-W

If there's one thing that's true about drums - every decade or so there's a shift in what's trendy and I think big ol' kits with concert toms or power toms are up next.
I get what you're saying about trends cycling. Just like clothing fashion, they have to, otherwise they'll stop selling drums to drummers. When I saw the stadium kit I thought that maybe power toms might make a comeback, so I guess we'll have to wait to see. It'll all depend on who starts playing them again.

I'd love to sit down behind you kit sometime man - I've honestly never played anything like that.
You're more than welcome to have a go at 'em if you're ever in the area. You'd do them justice more than I do these days, that's for sure.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I understand the are very legitimate reasons that people are turned away from gear. For a lot of very normal people, looks play a bit part of how we feel about kits. I feel like the black panther range of kits are a bit hit and miss for me, hover I think it’s the Saturn’s where they’re really rocking it! I’ll urge you to take a look at a mapex Saturn - deep water burl finish. Those things look stunning! Also I recently got my hands on a black panther warbird snare drum. Also a good piece of drum, check it out !
I considered a Saturn, and even recommend them to those that like the futuristic aesthetic.

Back when I was looking at ~$1k kits, the main contenders were the Gretsch Renown, The Yamaha Live Custom (Oak), and the Mapex Saturn. I went for the Gretsch, though TBT the Yamaha was probably the better kit.

C.M. Jones

Huh?
How did a colonial like yourself become privy to these secrets of the ancients? 😜
Though I'm a "Yank" by birthright and what not, my genealogical makeup is about 70 percent UK, namely English and Welsh. I've also extensively studied the literary, historical, and cultural foundations of Britain. And yes, I like a good Assam with a splash of milk and a few cubes of sugar. I've also been known to partake of a delectable fish pie or two, and I drink my Scotch neat, unless my Scotch is gin, in which case a moderating tonic is a necessity. My favorite ale is Abbott, though Old Speckled Hen is a delightful alternative. I'm presenting myself as a lush, but I rarely drink at all.

My ancestors arrived in America back in the 1700s, prior to the Revolution. I'm surging with rebellious blood.

RickP

Gold Member
Sonor does the same thing. It's called Alpi veneer. Is it OK that Sonor does it and adds $800-1000 per SQ2 kit that's equipped with an Alpi veneer? Do you like the wood trim in Bentleys, BMWs, Mercs? That's Alpi too. Shit's expensive and don't forget that you're getting 6-8 coats of lacquer on top of it too on the high gloss veneers. It's eco friendly and easier to match if you get an add on drum down the line. Here's a couple pics of my toilet seats.
The Alpi King has spoken 😀😀😀😀

D you know I am just kidding - folks this is a long time conversation between Darth and I . I have in the past mentioned on certain threads if a kit is an Alpi veneer or not . Not maliciously in intent , just to provide information for the owner . As Darth said these Alpi veneers are VERY expensive not cheap at all and there is a real art to making these Veneers. They aren’t like those fake photo print veneers that Pearl was doing and still does on some of the mid to lower priced lines .

Yamaha Rider

Ea
Though I'm a "Yank" by birthright and what not, my genealogical makeup is about 70 percent UK, namely English and Welsh. I've also extensively studied the literary, historical, and cultural foundations of Britain. And yes, I like a good Assam with a splash of milk and a few cubes of sugar. I've also been known to partake of a delectable fish pie or two, and I drink my Scotch neat, unless my Scotch is gin, in which case a moderating tonic is a necessity. My favorite ale is Abbott, though Old Speckled Hen is a delightful alternative. I'm presenting myself as a lush, but I rarely drink at all.

My ancestors arrived in America back in the 1700s, prior to the Revolution. I'm surging with rebellious blood.
Easy now Jonesy... back away from the musket.
(The no.1 tv series in the UK is a BBC period drama called Poldark. About redcoat who returns from the American war of independence to his ancestral mining business in Cornwall. You might enjoy the history and Cornish coastal scenery - it has quite a few followers in the US.)

WallyY

Platinum Member
Value is not about budget if you have a lifelong enduring love of the experience of the thing.
My non-typical choices are solely my own and it would be insulting to look at them through a prism of practicality.

dale w miller

Silver Member
Nothing overpriced is worth it. They wouldn't be overpriced if they were worth it. And that is subjective. If my salary is 10 times yours, what I like is not in your budget so to you overpriced. Like clothing, shoes anything.
I don’t think most people know what being overpriced is. Overpriced to what standard, compared to a company 3 times their size?

Worse yet, I cannot stand the term ripoff. As a business owner, I find that incredibly insulting. People throw those terms around as if they know that particular business’ expenses.

Even the term expensive is all relative. A $30 30 minute drum lesson is expensive to those who make minimum wage and cheap for those who make $100K/year.

If don’t like what a business is offering for the price they are selling it for, then don’t buy it, but it doesn’t make it overpriced, expensive, or a ripoff.

dale w miller

Silver Member
Now that's the kind of capitalistic oratory I can get on board with!
I think more than anything what pisses me off is people don’t really have a clue what they are talking about. They think they do, but there is so much they don’t regardless if they even know the pay per hour an employee for the company is getting.

What I found is if a company goes out of business it’s caused by a rare hardship like this pandemic we are going through or the owner is just not making enough for the time, headache, and risk they are putting out or themselves through. If a company goes out purely because their product was not competitive, they simply didn’t research enough before starting the business in the first place or didn’t adapt after they did.

In the case of drums, I don’t see how any small company can survive without being a boutique marketed company. There are just too many larger companies that can simply beat anyone if the angle is price. What these smaller companies need to show us drummers is “look at this thing we have that no one else does“ and then make us really want it.

PaisteGuy

The Mapex Saturn kit (I think) to the right of the DW Kit (mine) Are both in quilted finish. The Mapex’s are a digital print, the DW’s are a real wood veneer. Mapex Kit is going for $6500 Canadian. I paid slightly more for the DW’s. You can tell the mapex finish isn’t real from a distance. I paid more for the real veneer. Not trying to knock Mapex, but a kit like that deserves the real deal.

Attachments

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Paying (a lot) more for a vineer in general is something I don’t like.

Either a true outer ply or none for me.

That is my gripe with the regular DW exotic kits (not the real mixed woods like the Maple/Mahogany and the Jazz series).

PaisteGuy

Paying (a lot) more for a vineer in general is something I don’t like.

Either a true outer ply or none for me.

That is my gripe with the regular DW exotic kits (not the real mixed woods like the Maple/Mahogany and the Jazz series).
Ok, Outerply or Finishply if You prefer. The Outerply on my kit is real wood.