Are my Tom Arrangement and Cocktail Floor Tom Bass Odd?

Japan Drummer

Hello Folks,

Greetings. Love this forum. I'm a pretty new drummer, but from the beginning have liked the idea of an 18 inch cocktail drum. The cymbals are still a work in progress, but wondering if there are any problems with the toms arrangement. I have 10, 11 (vintage) - 12 and 13 inch toms, 6 and 8 are just out of vision, but I think I'll find some way to deal with those after all else is set.

Thinking I should maybe stagger them instead of lining them in a circle, but not sure. As it stands now, the 16 inch floor tom (center, no pedal - yet!) is at a pretty steep angle and the other toms are angled inward, too. Trying to keep them a little low to spare my shoulders in the future (I'm already 51, so trying to be realistic about that). I don't want to be reaching up and would like to have everything in as close as possible so that I don't have to reach out much either.

Many Thanks in Advance,

Dave in Northern Japan

Attachments

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
It is unusual, yes. If it's working for you then I suggest you keep it but when you add a bass drum into the set it could complicate your positioning somewhat.

Japan Drummer

Thanks! Actually, I had a big bass drum and it was limiting my tom height and spacing. Plus, I liked the idea of a smaller bass tuned down. I feel I need some improvement on reach, I guess, which is why I'm thinking about staggering the toms.

While I have you. I DO experience some volume problems with the bass. Would a large bass drum vent help and do you know if it would cause problems. I'm guess in there would be at least a two inch hole. I could put a bass drum head with a hole on top, but I think that would change the sound of the top too much.

Thanks Again,

Dave

It is unusual, yes. If it's working for you then I suggest you keep it but when you add a bass drum into the set it could complicate your positioning somewhat.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
There are so many factors involved with bass drums that a vent is one of several solutions.

Personally, I wouldn't vent unless you have to. If you prefer that feeling underfoot then it might help but ultimately I'm of the belief that dynamic balance between drums is always best solved by a technique tweak. It might be that your balance is fine and that the room is somehow having an effect on how you hear the bass drum. In reality though, I would always assess technique first before anything else - unless there's a glaring issue elsewhere.

Toolate

Platinum Member
You could set up a remote kick on a slave pedal like Stanton Moore or one of the 20 of them on Bozzios kit. Abe Laboriel Jr has a cool setup as well.