Are Low End Drums a Waste of Time?

I say low end drums are not a waste of time. I started with a low end Royce Percussion set way back when I was 12. I learned a lot with those drums. I learned how to tune them in order to maximize what little decent tone I could get. I learned to deal with hardware that wasn’t great. I learned what I didn’t like about them which gave me direction when the time came to step up to a better set. And most of all…I learned to play on em.

I have done many times, The truck is to play Thin or Fast crashes in smaller sizes. Beautiful, warm sound.

I can do it on absolutely any cymbal, no problem. That’s a result of many years of orchestral training and work. But my point is that

1. that series requires an unnecessary amount of focus to avoid getting glares in church

2. Church drumming is usually not worth it, unless you’re in a black church.

I can do it on absolutely any cymbal, no problem. That’s a result of many years of orchestral training and work. But my point is that

1. that series requires an unnecessary amount of focus to avoid getting glares in church

2. Church drumming is usually not worth it, unless you’re in a black church.
I risk bursting into flames when I set foot in a church, so I don't worry about church drumming, lol.

I don't have the ambition to bore you with an 8 paragraph response. One thing that puzzled me as a young drummer who couldn't sleep over birch vs maple vs edges..etc etc was why I was always attracted to the sound of low end drums. I didn't WANT to be. A kit that to this day stands out in my mind after decades have gone by is an R.O.C. kit in black wrap. It was a double bass kit that had a thunderous low end rumble that I always wanted the high end kits to sound like. If I'd have been approached by John Good to be an endorser for Drumworkshop back then I'd have asked him if they could put DW lugs on an R.O.C. kit. I'm STILL attracted to low end kits.

The short answer is no, they are not a waste of time.
Beginning drummers and hobbyists need low end drums to get into drumming, get started. often low end drums are pretty good and give people an affordable way to start drumming.
I play cheaply bought high end drums (player kits) to use in pubs and clubs, where they might end up damaged, or beer spilt on them, being scratched by someone. My second hand player kits were almost as cheap as a low end kit (new).

Back