Are High End Drums a Giant Waste of Money?

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..We really SHOULD be just talking about drum kits..

Well, i strongly disagree with that….i think what people should speak about is music and playing…and…maybe sometimes a little about gear….

But i realise very well that this is not a popular opinion on a forum thats mostly about gear..

..and enjoy the gig a little more if you are proud to play the drums you're playing, rather than a mid-priced Yamaha from a rental company. people are human..

I had to rent a set for about 25 gigs the past months…a Pearl Roadshow set….cheapest thing you can get….

Second gig soundguy comes to me..: “that kit of yours sounds pretty awesome….”

How about that…

If i would have been playing a top line DW set during those months i would have not been more proud to play than with a Roadshow set….

..because it makes a difference to the enjoyment of playing..

For me the cymbals, yes…

But all the endless discussion crap about a ply of wood less or more, combination of woods, sorts of shells, etc, etc, etc….to me those are much more psychological discussions than reality discussions..

There are pro concert violin players who, blindfolded, prefer the sound from a new violin instead of a Stradivarius…

But, not blindfolded, that same Stradivarius will be described as the best incomparable sound ever, because in that case they hear what they want (and expect) to hear…..

There is, soundwise, a huge difference between a 150 dollar set and a 1500-2000 dollar set, regarding tone, staying in tune, etc…

But after that, with 2000-10.000 dollar sets, things become much more about pretty little nuances that require perfect circumstances to be fully heard….IF allready they will be fully heard…

That whole ‘high end’-instrument discussion contains ofcourse some truth, but also a lot, like a LOT, marketing nonsense…

Last edited:

Sausagetoad

I don't really own any 'high-end' kits that I wouldn't use on a gig. I have an older PDP maple kit with the 10 lugs on everything important, but it's had a bearing edge job so it's just like a DW without the reinforcing rings. I also have a way older TAMA kit from the 70's with an upgraded kick shell, a deeper one. Both kits sound great.

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
Well, i strongly disagree with that….i think what people should speak about is music and playing…and…maybe sometimes a little about gear….

But i realise very well that this is not a popular opinion on a forum thats mostly about gear..
Yeah, my actual point was you can't quarantine the subject to one thing. It is ALL important.
Given that you have paid for lessons and you are progressing as a player (at least enough to perform), you can buy a good drum set used and save enough money to acquire good cymbals and a good snare.
Just because someone choose a high-end kit DOESN'T assume they've neglected to pay for lessons, or neglected to include great cymbals.
I haven't bought a new kit since 2006 (from N&C).

PaisteGuy

Oldskoolsoul, I already asked You this, but, I’ll ask it again, what kit and cymbals do You play?

jda

Silver Member
Drums are dimensions First they have to fit you like a shoe..

When I started out everything was High end. Well if you set your sights on being 'a professional'.

1968 thru the paper I don't know who found or who told... were Ludwigs. 20/12/12/16 Keystone badge black diamond pearl with what was likely a brass Supra. With fibre Cases. With a set of A Zildjians 20,18,14s. With Stands
Probably (were new) from 1962/3.
$225 in 68'
that was my 1st set.
I played them for 2/3 years.

I never heard of cheap seats back then (tho others have did
You're going to be a musician you aspire to be a professional lol +/-
(you need real drums)
Might not be a Living but your technique can be professional and tested.

Last edited:

jaymandude

I never heard of cheap seats back then (tho others have did
You're going to be a musician you aspire to be a professional lol +/-
this is a good point

" I don't want a really good set cause I'm only going to play 70's covers and SRV songs at sports bars every other Tuesday" wasn't considered :)

And of course, you wanted to play what your heroes played. Ludwig, Rogers, Gretsch, and Slingerland..

jda

Silver Member
that's all there was as far as I knew.. The Sears catalog sets weren't serious..)

Ludwig, Slingerland, Rogers, probably Gretsch were plentiful.

Smoke

Silver Member
I still have and old Yamaha stage custom from early nineties. I should really get that thing dusted off and puts some remo pinstripes on it. I heard one a couple months ago with pinstripes and it sounded amazing.
I've got a mid-late 90's set of YSC's. I bought them used with Pinstripes installed and didn't care for the sound. To me, they sounded muted - I was looking for more of an "open" sound, but not too "ringy", if that makes sense. I tried coated Remo Ambassador batters over clear Diplomats resonant heads and they worked. But, that was the sound I was looking for and got lucky. Good luck with the Pinstripes - let us know if they get the sound you're looking for.

jda

Silver Member
High end? or just Good..

Andy-and-Stewart-on-stage-ThePolice_AroundTheWorld_Documentary_Still_22-e1652895639222.jpeg

Imperialstars
the octobans added a lot but still

JimmyM

Platinum Member
High end? or just Good..

Andy-and-Stewart-on-stage-ThePolice_AroundTheWorld_Documentary_Still_22-e1652895639222.jpeg

Imperialstars
the octobans added a lot but still
I heard that set live once. Sounded great to me. And honestly, while I do love a good sounding high end set, every time I play my silly Ddrum Diablos, they sound really good to me. I sometimes think I should have skipped the Ludwigs and I would have been just fine. But as little as I paid for them, I can’t complain about the Ludwigs.

harryconway

Platinum Member
High end? or just Good..
Imperialstars
I heard that set live once. Sounded great to me.
At the time ...... Imperialstar was (#2) just below Superstar (flagship) in Tama's line up. Royalstar was #3 (still had 10 lugs on the 22" bass drum), and then there was Swingstar .... as entry level.

harryconway

Platinum Member
at the time he said he wanted covered drums for the road remember..
Wasn't really following Stewart back then, so no. But I knew a guy who had a 26, 14, 16, 18 Imperialstar kit, and they killed !!!!

Reactions: jda

steadypocket

Gold Member
I use the pictured “beater” kit with a covered finish for outdoor gigs, and those with small stages. I don’t NEED anything more than this. The kit sounds great and the hardware is top-notch and durable. I’m just a bar band weekend warrior pounding out twos and fours, but I chose to put my disposable income into high-end drums. I worked hard for my money and like to play my other high-end kits because they inspire me, and make me play better. I like variety. 3359C748-E917-4BEB-BDD2-97D604757BDD.jpeg Play what you like and don’t judge others is a good motto I believe.