Are guns killing live music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I once asked my wife why they don't have arena rock or football type events in China. She said, "Someone would make a bomb and blow it up." I can't help but wonder are giant music scenes enevitably going to be safety hazards. I must admit large crowds of people make me nervous.

Jerks in general, regardless of the level, are ruining live shows. People holding up phones, blinding me, are on the list.

I went to see Robert Plant in high school, back when he was doing Honey Drippers. It was a 4th of July, and some jerk threw a big group of firecrackers in my lap. Considering I was wearing gym shorts [I'm quite the fashion plate], I got lucky.

Robert Plant stops the show, talks about how stupid he was when he was young, and said that he'd end the show if he hears one more firecracker.

There were no more. But I think there should never be any.

Went to see Marilyn Manson a few years ago. The opening act was Slayer. Manson takes the stage, and the fans can't stop yelling, "SLAYER! SLAYER! SLAYER!" They start lighting rolls of toilet paper on fire and throwing them, making streams of fire overhead.

Manson says "screw it" after 4-5 songs and quits. I paid a ton of money for that.

I've mostly lost patience with large groups of people. Too many idiots.

It's incorrect that they don't have large sporting events or arena music in china, so maybe your wife was just bonding with you on the negative aspects of a poor assumption?

Obviously more weapons won't help but today crowds of any kind are increasingly a target for dissidents, terrorists, crazies, fundamentalists, neo-fascists etc. Guns, bombs, vehicles ...

There won't be anywhere near the same risk at small gigs. It's the big, loosely structured events that attract those with destruction in mind.

Be very careful.....

Wise words to all the members, this is not a political issue. I do think it's possible to discuss the potential dangers of open-air events. I also think as a society, we've been very lucky to enjoy a relatively safe concert experience in the US, and that includes theaters as well. The worst we've come to expect is maybe a rowdy/drunk fan getting out of hand, with a very isolated effect.

In my job, I'm in 5 or more different concert venues every week for 3-5 months a year, so hearing about bad things at concerts obviously concerns me. I'd like to think that Weird Al doesn't attract any troubled, violent souls, but who would have thought that Jason Aldean would, either?

We were in Florida when the Orlando night club killings happened, and shortly afterward we initiated metal detectors and 'wanding' at venues that didn't already have them. I don't think any weapons were retrieved, and we never had any complaints about the airport-style security.

In light of Las Vegas, I suspect security will be stepped-up a little for us. Happily, we're playing very few outdoor venues next year.

Bermuda

How the hell did he get so many guns into his room? Are they collapsible? I guess metal detectors in hotels will be the first step. So sad I can't even fathom what the hell is going on.

It's just a horrific event and my thoughts and condolences to the families who've lost loved ones. So many injured and I hope no more lives are lost. What more needs to be said.

There won't be anywhere near the same risk at small gigs. It's the big, loosely structured events that attract those with destruction in mind.

But they're not immune either. When Dimebag Darryl was shot, it was at a club. And Bataclan is not a big venue either. People bent on trouble can show up anywhere, and it may be easier to enter a small venue, and create suitable havoc, even if on a smaller level.

It's scary to think about, but we can't just sit at home either. Best we can do as musicians and audience members is be aware, stay vigilant, and hope that things remain safe. I think that's the case 99.999% of the time.

Bermuda

I actually know the drummer for a group called the josh abbot band that opened for the headliner at yesterday's vegas concert. He is from my area and I try to get to know all the guys who are in that music scene because you never know when they might recommend me for work sometime. I texted him and he told me he was in the tour bus when it was all going on and that it was chaos. It's sad that people going out to have a good time have to suffer through this stuff. And I guess there will always be evil and hate in the world so I don't know if it will ever be 100% safe. All you can do is promote peace and love I guess

How the hell did he get so many guns into his room? Are they collapsible? I guess metal detectors in hotels will be the first step. So sad I can't even fathom what the hell is going on.

Certain guns can be disassembled into three or four parts. You can easily hide them in a suitcase. This guy must have made multiple trips to his room with all the firepower he had.

But they're not immune either. When Dimebag Darryl was shot, it was at a club. And Bataclan is not a big venue either. People bent on trouble can show up anywhere, and it may be easier to enter a small venue, and create suitable havoc, even if on a smaller level.

It's scary to think about, but we can't just sit at home either. Best we can do as musicians and audience members is be aware, stay vigilant, and hope that things remain safe. I think that's the case 99.999% of the time.
Yes, smaller events are easier, although there is much less impact and infamy.

One option would be for great musicians to migrate to a safer place like, say, Australia ...

Very sad situation indeed.

We're in an odd place with guns. Regulation of commerce (the primary reason that congress exists) will never be an effective solution, especially since anyone with a $5000 CNC can print as many guns as they would like.

This problem is here to stay for the short term, and any resolution is well beyond my limited sociological resources. I hope we figure it out eventually.

And at a Jason Aldean performance? What the literal F' is up with that? I just listened to Dirt Road Anthem in it's entirety and didn't have a single homicidal/suicidal thought.

One option would be for great musicians to migrate to a safer place like, say, Australia ...[/QUOTE]

like Wolf Creek?

Attachments

• 20155858_1360513687389162_3110632622351779766_n.jpg
    20155858_1360513687389162_3110632622351779766_n.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 436
Its lawful to own a firearm If you have a licence. Surely its easy enough to have a database that records how many firearms a person owns? Anyone starting to amass the number of legally owned guns and ammunition that this guy had would flag up possible problems long before it got to the situation we now have? And someone would have been able to ask the obvious question "And why do you need the machine gun Sir?"

Very sad situation indeed.

And at a Jason Aldean performance? What the literal F' is up with that? I just listened to Dirt Road Anthem in it's entirety and didn't have a single homicidal/suicidal thought.

That was my thought too. And what did a millionaire have against the world, that he had to do this? Maybe he had a brain tumor, that's all I can imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back