Are Factories Running Right Now?

Gretsch has been closed since the 24th -

Ludwig just sent out a similar statement, saying "We have witnessed our industry literally turned upside down." They didn't specifically say they had shut-down though, and I don't know the factory's status.

Bermuda

The Ludwig factory is open. That could change based on what the NC governor decides going forward.

I have a primary source for this information. No, it's not Bermuda. ?

The Ludwig factory is open. That could change based on what the NC governor decides going forward.

I have a primary source for this information. No, it's not Bermuda. ?
at least theyre not here in the UK, if they were theyd have been shut down as "non-essential". as our whole country is on lockdown and all non-essential businesses are shut til further notice.

at least theyre not here in the UK, if they were theyd have been shut down as "non-essential". as our whole country is on lockdown and all non-essential businesses are shut til further notice.
Here in the states, governors have been making those decisions. There is talk that the federal government may shut down New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. That could get a bit hairy, as it will likely become a states' rights battle.

The Ludwig factory is open.

Good to hear, but I wonder how many new orders there are, the brick & mortar music stores are closed in many states.

Good to hear, but I wonder how many new orders there are, the brick & mortar music stores are closed in many states.
I'm not sure. My friend ordered a Classic Oak last week.

My gut tells me that stores will still take custom orders, but won't be ordering anything for stock.

Ludwig has been fairly slow on custom orders; at least it was in the summer and early fall. I ordered a 3.5" x 13" piccolo in copper rose mist in early July. I was told it would take four to six weeks. I didn't get in until October.

This may allow them to get caught up on some of those custom orders.

One other concern could be part supplies. Deliveries from Asia may be delayed or not happening. What will happen when they run out of rims, lugs, tension rods, etc.? One-piece metal shells could also be hard to get if that supplier is closed.

What a mess.

Our local music store, which is small, is closed due to the coronavirus pandemic. I usually make the trip to Dale's in Harrisburg, but it is also closed. Everything here in Pennsylvania is closed, with the exception of take out food, grocery stores, and medical facilities. Target and Walmart are also open with reduced hours.

Here in the states, governors have been making those decisions. There is talk that the federal government may shut down New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut. That could get a bit hairy, as it will likely become a states' rights battle.

At the very least New Jersey and New York are going to have to go to hard quarantine and totally closed borders in the next couple/three weeks, unless they get the rate of new cases to drop. They have neither the right nor the power to inflict their inability to get control of this on the rest of the country. I guarantee you the SCOTUS will agree.

Most shops I know of are running on a skeleton crew of one to three individuals. It's not to keep the production lines running at capacity, rather receiving orders, line maintenance, cleaning, inspections, etc.

Another example is that the pizza place next to me changed the menu to "pizza only" and is only doing cash delivery. One cook, one driver, at a place that typically employs a dozen cooks/servers. No salads, sandwiches, entrees, or calzones, just pizza and toppings with a 2-pie minimum.

The Atlantic just ran an article where health experts were predicting anywhere from 4-12 or more months before life is fully back to normal. Scary times. At least we can drum indoors to pass some time.

The Atlantic just ran an article where health experts were predicting anywhere from 4-12 or more months before life is fully back to normal. Scary times. At least we can drum indoors to pass some time.

Yeah, I’d say 4 months is absolutely the best scenario. That’s assuming people really do social distancing. And I bet NYC is going to have to go on true full lockdown for a couple/three weeks before they get it under control. I suspect they’re going to have to stop everything at the city limits except food deliveries to stores for that time, too.

Back