Are Factories Running Right Now?

toonamike

With all of the coronavirus / COVID-19 closing around the globe, I'm wondering how many drum factories are producing instruments right now.

Does anyone have any information on the US-based companies? For example, is Ludwig still open in Monroe?

I work with my local high school's drumline. We ordered new drums -- with the custom lacquered sparkle finish -- from Yamaha in January. The original estimate was 6-8 months, which I'm sure will slip given the pandemic.

Any news?

probably working either with skeleton crews, or not at all. depends on the state-by-state decrees. as for china/taiwan, those are probably still shut down til further notice or working with bare minimum.

over here in the UK, all non-essential businesses have been told to close by the government, which includes most if not all drum makers :/

I ordered a cymbal directly from Zildjian yesterday. Generally, they pack and ship items quite quickly. As of tonight, however, the cymbal still hasn't shipped, and my order status is "On Hold." I suspect that factories and warehouses are short-staffed at present, if not shut down entirely. Delays may be the norm for a while.

I've been in touch with a Gretsch rep. trying to get replacement floor tom brackets and legs ( which has been a long process to begin with). On the 19th I was asked to send a picture to ensure they were sending out the correct ones. I haven't heard anything since.

Sounds like the used market may be the way to go, when realistically possible. I ordered a used A Mastersound bottom hat from Guitar Center on Saturday, got it yesterday. In good shape, sounds great with a K Light as the top hat. But I realize that drum lines can’t as easily do something like that.

I bet the boutique makers are still in business, a lot of those are just one-man operations.

Sounds like the used market may be the way to go, when realistically possible. I ordered a used A Mastersound bottom hat from Guitar Center on Saturday, got it yesterday. In good shape, sounds great with a K Light as the top hat. But I realize that drum lines can’t as easily do something like that.

I bet the boutique makers are still in business, a lot of those are just one-man operations.

With regard to your Mastersound-bottom acquisition, I think you'll love it overall. Great chick sound and zero airlock. I use two hi-hat combinations. The first is a medium-thin top with a Mastersound bottom (when I want more cut and definition). The second consists of two medium-thin tops (when I want a subdued voice and a subtle chick). Those two configurations suit all my needs.

With regard to your Mastersound-bottom acquisition, I think you'll love it overall. Great chick sound and zero airlock. I use two hi-hat combinations. The first is a medium-thin top with a Mastersound bottom (when I want more cut and definition). The second consists of two medium-thin tops (when I want a subdued voice and a subtle chick). Those two configurations suit all my needs.

I don’t think I can ever let go of the Mastersound, at this point. It’s actually a 13” paired with a 14” top K Light, and it sounds like the ideal hi-hat sound in my head. It was so fun playing the Funky Drummer beat without having to pay that little extra bit of attention to making sure I didn’t airlock on the hats. I can’t believe I’ve been playing off and on for 33 years and never heard about the Mastersounds until the last couple months.

I don’t think I can ever let go of the Mastersound, at this point. It’s actually a 13” paired with a 14” top K Light, and it sounds like the ideal hi-hat sound in my head. It was so fun playing the Funky Drummer beat without having to pay that little extra bit of attention to making sure I didn’t airlock on the hats. I can’t believe I’ve been playing off and on for 33 years and never heard about the Mastersounds until the last couple months.

Yeah, Mastersounds are a godsend in the department of airlock. It's just something you never have to think about again. Their one drawback is their assertiveness. They can be a bit much for lighter applications, but they're unbeatable for moderate to loud purposes. Enjoy them!

I ordered a Supraphonic from my local drum shop a few weeks ago. Was due this June/July. Given I’m in OZ I don’t think I’ll see it before this time next year!

I think the Gretsch Ridgeland factory is open but. there is only half dozen people at most is my understanding and then Saluda cymbal company that looks like it is still open. The people you work with are like family since you share germs all the time LOL.

I love drums! I've been ordering something (usually for rebuilding and refurbishing) every month. . . .BUT, there are simply MORE important things to worry about.

I'm assuming the your local school Already has drums correct? FAR too trivial to worry about.

Back