Are DW Performance drum packs still considered overpriced in today's market?

My previous kit was a mid-90's Premier XPK (birch/eucalyptus shells), which I thought sounded better, tbh.

I went from a Tama Granstar II to DW Collectors: 9mm thick birch shells in power toms to ~5mm thin maple shells in shorter depths. The Premier XPK kit to DW Collectors is very similar to what I did. It's like comparing apples and potatoes. You go from eating fruit to vegetables, yet they're both considered "produce." It took me several months to acclimate to a drum sound coming at me that wasn't what I had been playing and hearing for the past 20+ years.

We become conditioned to hearing things a certain way and when we hear something totally different, it's not familiar and the psychological aspect kicks in: "that doesn't sound right (familiar)." Similar to how a new cymbal sounds great when we buy it. It gets dirty and grimy over time and what we think that cymbal sounds like changes as it accumulates the patina. When we clean it, it sounds like what it did when we bought it, not we've become accustomed to it sounding like. Suddenly, the cymbal's sound is "wrong" or "not as good." That's another discussion for another time.

And let us know what you decide to do.
I've decided to build up a DW kit...a little at a time. After I replace all the components, my daughter can finally sell her Pearl starter kit that I'm "borrowing". So far I've bought Zildjian Custom Dark Cymbal Set, a DW 9000 series throne, 9000 series double bass pedal, and 9000 series Hi hat stand. I found a DW 9000 Rack (normally $500) on Buffalo Craigslist for $200 in great shape, so I bought that. And just yesterday my DW Performance Series 6.5" x 14" Snare arrived. I chose Cherry Stain Lacquer for the snare, so I'm sure I'll do the same with the rest of the shells when I save up for them. I blew through the first part of my budget pretty fast! Those DW pedals are smooth!

I've been looking for a high quality kit without going to crazy. And when I say not going too crazy, that means I'm not interested in spending $6 to $8 thousand for DW Collectors. I've been comparing mid-range kits from different manufacturers. For pricing, I've just been using sweetwater. I keep hearing that DW Performance kits are great, but you can get more bang for the buck from the competition. What kits from the competition clearly match them at a much lower price? Or is this all over a few hundred dollars? For example, I'm interested in the DW Performance 5 piece shell pack and it runs $2480. For these comparisons, I'm not considering the snare, cymbals, and hardware...just shell packs. So I looked at Pearl (probably my second choice). They have the Music City Custom for the same price, but it's only a 3 piece pack. Stepping down to the Master Maple Complete, it's definitely less expensive at $1680, but it's also only a 4 piece. Another step down, and I'm looking at the Session Studio Select for $1580. Ok, this is definitely cheaper for a 5 piece, but it seems this is more comparable to the DW Design series in quality, so I'd expect it to be this inexpensive. Then I looked at Tama. Their Starclassic Walnut/Birch is "barely" less expensive at $2300. Ludwig was difficult to compare as every kit was a 3 piece. Yamaha had a very affordable 4 piece kit called Tour Custom for $1300, but again, that seems more like the DW Design market. Maybe Mapex Saturn V MH Exotic 5 piece for $2199? I'm just not seeing the DW Performance as being overpriced. If I'm missing something, please feel free to fill in my knowledge gaps for me.
Hello. I’m a big DW Performance series fan. AND I have owned quite a few kits from classic Yamaha, Gretch, Ludwig, Pearl and Tama Starclassic. I own 3 DW kits. 2 performance series and 1 classic series. I have a 4 piece kit with a 24” x 18 kick 13 x 10 Tom and a 18 x 16 floor Tom. Great rock kit with a stainless chrome plated 14x 6.6 snare. I have used all three kits live and in the studio. Maybe I am a fan of DW AND to me the quality and sound in the studio and live is hands down better than any of the other kits I have played. AND I have been playing a looong time. Another thing that I have noticed along with several other drummers is the fact that each DW kit sounds different depending on what drummer is playing them and the type of attack the drummer plays with. That is a real determining factor of what you actually get out front, mic’d and in the studio. Also all of my hardware is the 9000 series which I personally think, hands down is the best hardware out there. So I may be biased AND from a live and studio standpoint, I love the DW sound. Cheers

Too bad nobody mentioned it when the thread was new but DW Design Series kits are essentially Performance Series clones, but built overseas. Same quality but hundreds of dollars less.

Too bad nobody mentioned it when the thread was new but DW Design Series kits are essentially Performance Series clones, but built overseas. Same quality but hundreds of dollars less.
Probably not the same quality, but very close. Since I've purchased the DW Performance kit I've also purchased the Alesis Strike Pro SE. As much as I love my DW's, I'm playing the Alesis far more often.

Probably not the same quality, but very close. Since I've purchased the DW Performance kit I've also purchased the Alesis Strike Pro SE. As much as I love my DW's, I'm playing the Alesis far more often.
They are indeed the same quality and share the same features. You get more size and finish options with the Performance Series and better factory heads but there's nothing inferior about the Design Series. You can do stadium tours with them, as Eric Moore does.

That's not to say that Performance Series aren't a good deal because those size and finish options are worth paying extra for to many but if you come across a Design Series kit in a finish you like, snap it up, I say.

Last edited:
Dude I was just at my local guitar center in Florence, Ky (cincinnati metro) and they had a like new 8 piece dW performance series kit, it’s “used” but the frickin tags are still on them and original DW heads.

They have them listed for $1650

The guy also sold all of his Dw9000 hardware too.

The pics aren’t on line yet but if you call they will send you pics and sell it to you I’m sure.

Back