Are DW drums still cool?

dirtyclinic

Hi, new member here.

I am a guitar player but I have had a set of drums for the past 20 years. I have never been great at the drums (because I never practiced much) but I can keep a beat and play some simpler stuff.

2 weeks ago I saw in the local classifieds a set of DW Collector's Series drums for a really good price, so I bought them. The set is a 6-piece including the snare. I joined the forum looking to get into drumming and for getting advice. I don't see a lot about DW drums on here. I remember that a long time ago they seemed to be the coolest drums around but I was wondering if they are sort of passe now.

Thanks

Last edited:

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
I would call them overpriced and underwhelming. Just my .02

You can get more for less nowadays, just look around at the shops or online.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Maybe in the 90's people thought they were the cool new thing to get, but today they are looked at as an American manufacturer, like Gretsch or Ludwig, who puts out an American made* product. They are nice kits and the amount of customizing you can do with them is pretty amazing, so there is that aspect they have over a company like Gretsch or Ludwig, but I dont think people look at them as the "cool" thing to buy. The hype isnt as great today as it was 20 years ago.

*shells manufactured and assembled in America.

octatonic

I have a few different kits but my DW Collectors are my favourite.

I love Gretsch as well- I don't know how much they will change now they are owned by DW.

I don't think 'American made' is so important these days- you can get some very nice, pro level kits from Asia.

thebarak

If they are built with good materials, high accuracy, good quality control, and they sound good, they are cool. If your visual tastes lean away from round lugs etc., then you may feel that other makes look more cool.

I never seem to read on here that drummers need to re-sand bearing edges, or tighten up loose hardware on DW. They seem to be made with exceptional care and attention.

Personally, having played Hayman Drums during the 70s, which were not as great as people said at the time, I am a bit concerned about going back to round lugs, but then I also realize that is ridiculous and silly. I am strongly considering a new DW kit right now.

dirtyclinic

Thanks for the replies. Since I got the new set (used) I have been playing more and more and the excitement of some new gear has definitely not worn off. I am going to get someone to come and tune them for me soon.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
All drums are cool. All drums just aren't cool to everyone. That's why there are a gazillion drum makers. Cadillacs used to be cool.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yes DW drums are still cool.

The way I really feel about it is drums aren't cool, people are cool.

Drum brands hijack too much of people's focus. It's a big detour from the main road.

The truth is, the brand of drums someone plays has zero to do with how good a drummer that person is. It's like the prevailing attitude is drum brand is far and away the #1 most important thing a drummer can do and the playing is way down the list. It's completely backwards.

You could play a Spongebob kit and kill if you are a good drummer.

My suggestion is don't waste mental energy on drum brands. These days you can get a great sounding kit with everything included for less than 2 large.

You said you bought the DW's. You are good to go. You have a world class drumset, period. Time for the next step, lessons. Investing in lessons, now there's an actual investment. Drums are a purchase.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
What Uncle Larry said is all true. You put the cart before the horse and I'm wondering if you are concerned about the drums or you being cool. DW's are great so drum on.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Ditto what Larry said. Everything you own is a tool to an end. What kind of pans do you have to cook?

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
There was once a DW hype, just like there was an Ayotte hype. Then came the next hype and so on. But still, DW made and makes some really good drums. If they are overpriced is a completely different question and highly debatable. Some people will say yes, others will say no.

(PS: All drums that you get today are basically to cheap, but I get off-topic)

Enjoy your drums. You got some quality stuff there that should serve you well for decades.

T

The SunDog

Ditto what Larry said. Everything you own is a tool to an end. What kind of pans do you have to cook?
Whoa, whoa, whoa! I'll have you all know that brand and material do matter. The answer? Cuisinart stainless steel. They rock! Also, it's a widely known fact that I'm a DW fanboy.I honestly believe there is no best or coolest brand. Too many great drums, from too many great drum companies. DW is still really cool though.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'd ask, which drums aren't cool?

Far less than the ones that are cool.

Besides, everything can be used for good or evil. (ever notice that evil is live, spelled backwards?)

It's all how something is used. Human beings breathe coolness, awkwardness etc. into the drums, not the other way around.

I'd say the only uncool drumset I ever saw was those horrid fishbowl looking drums that go by the name Molecule. Bo's secret desire.

OMG I think I just threw up in my mouth a little lol.

Molecule, The Edsel of drumsets.

That's their marketing slogan, for realz :p

alparrott

Platinum Member
A lot of why DW used to be the cat's meow had to do with their hardware (industry leading quality for the most part), their craftsmanship (which raised the bar for many manufacturers), and their customizability (now matched by tonnes of 'boutique' custom brands). They also did a great job marketing their drums and attracting big names to play them.

These days, the things that made them stand out in the 90's and oughts have been matched by most serious companies. There's also been a kind of backlash against their perceived overhype and popularity.

By all means, if they make an awesome sound and make you feel good while playing, keep them and play them proudly. But as with guitars, buy drums that are worth the cost and the hype regardless of marque.

MoreBeer

Silver Member
All drums are cool. Including the sets Sears sold back in the 60's and 70's. Well....maybe that's a bit of a stretch.

pmancuso

If you watch enough t.v. DW is all you see. My 6 piece has been stacked up in a corner. They are very good drums but they have a sound that is different then what I am used to and want to hear. I just can't get into them anymore. I used to always choose my old Starclassic maples over them. I've recently gone back to my childhood with a 4 piece Legacy for now.

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
A lot of why DW used to be the cat's meow had to do with their hardware (industry leading quality for the most part), their craftsmanship (which raised the bar for many manufacturers), and their customizability (now matched by tonnes of 'boutique' custom brands).
Don't forget their transluscent laquer finishes with the complex figured wood underneath. Other companies didn't have that at the time (or so I'm told).

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
DW is known in my head as a very modern sounding drum build that appeals to rockers for the "round" profile of the sound that sounds somewhat "dead" or already produced/mixed. Both a good and bad thing depending, but I don't think their reputation has been messed with or anything. You don't get made fun of like if you bought a mapex kit or something.