Are DW all they're cracked up to be?

whatsam

I hear so much about DW drums and follow them very closely. I do love the sound of their drums and also the looks. But I'm curious to hear if people really think It's worth the large price tag...?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I hear so much about DW drums and follow them very closely. I do love the sound of their drums and also the looks. But I'm curious to hear if people really think It's worth the large price tag...?
If you like them, & no other brand delivers that pleasure to you, then they're worth it.

Arky

Platinum Member
Take some time and do some search on this forum. Then (after some hours) come back if you still have questions... plenty material/feedback out there, really.

One general thing I've learned (especially referring to guitars - that's where I come from, but it also applies to anything, even to car manufacturers) is that what people are stating is _their personal_ experience. Now different people can have completely opposite experience with the same manufacturers, models, instruments, drums - matter of fact. Also take into consideration that we all differ in our taste/preferences so the same (well made, flawless, good quality) instrument may still be perceived as "superb" by one person and "ugh" by another. If you count in that we also differ physically (having different ears, frequency response, loudness perception) it's no wonder that again, different people relate quite differently to the same instruments.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
But I'm curious to hear if people really think It's worth the large price tag...?
I hear you man, but as always another person's appreciation on such a topic it's very subjective to personal tastes, with this in mind you should try a DW kit for yourself, in person, you'll be the best advocate upon making that decision. :)

whatsam

I understand that I am just curious as to the PERSONAL opinions of people who own them, If THEY think it was worth the money.

whatsam

Nice, I've being looking at them for a while and they do look good. My local drum store had a 4pc performance series and it sounded better than anything in the store. Have you had any problems what so ever?

cornelius

Silver Member
IMO any line from DW is worth the money. I've owned a couple kits and a few snares, and they've always done what I needed them to do - in the studio, or on the road.

The Performance series are really nice drums...

rmandelbaum

Platinum Member
I own 2 DW kits and feel they are worth every penny. That being said at that level there are many great options. There are a lot of great boutique custom shops as well as the major brands.

the top of the line Ludwig kits are just as expensive as are the Custom Pearl kits and top of the line TAMA kits for example.

You have to decide what your looking for and what you want out of it. I also personally tend to think about resale value. At some point I may decide to down size or my kids will end up with my gear. I want to get the most back out of my gear that I can.

steadypocket

Gold Member
Of course it all boils down to personal preference as already stated. As an owner of a Collector's Series exotic finish kit (sycamore exterior ply) and three DW high-end snares, I'll give my .02 about the drummaker. My Collector's Series kit sounds great and the toms are incredibly warm. The drums were priced significantly higher than drums from their competitors and frankly I believe Pearl and Tama drums are better built (I also own a Pearl MCX and Tama Starclassic bubinga kit). With that said, DW makes some really unique finishes that are simply stunning and that is the reason I knowingly paid so much for mine. If money is an issue, look elsewhere because you'll pay more.

So while I enjoy my DW kit and two of the three snares (Top Edge exotic finish and an oak stave), my Super Solid Edge (maple/walnut hybrid) is a dud. The drum is incredibly choked regardless of heads or tunings. No warmth or body whatsoever. That proprietary wood compression process that John Good likes to brag about may work well for furniture but it's a failure in terms of drum tone. Robs the wood of its natural warmth. I paid over $900 for this snare, which looks great at least but will likely convince me to never order another DW drum again.

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Like many of the fine folks here have said, it's all a personal taste. Of course, that's the most common response on this forum!

I have a 6 piece Collectors kit that I am very pleased with. Quality drums and quality looks. Now some of their hardware is a bit overengineered, but hey?! (I use their 9000 series gear, except for the double pedals)

Now are they worth the price? (see most common response). Honestly, I could not pay the full order price so I bought the display kit from Bestbuy for 1/3 off. It's not an exotic finish, but for the price...
I also picked up the 9000 stands on clearance.

If it were today, I would consider the Performance series with a more reasonable cost.
I'm liking the Edge Snare next possibly...

I'm good with my kit....

cdrums21

Gold Member
I agree with the general consensus here. If they do it for you, they're worth it. I have a DW collector's kit after playing Yamaha's for 25 years before that. Here's what I like about the DW's. Construction wise, they're flawless. The craftsmanship is awesome, really well made, their dedication to experimenting with grain orientation and shell configuration has led to some pretty cool sounding drums IMO and the finishes are stunning. I am not a fan of their snare drums at all, but that's my personal preference. I bought a 7x14 edge and was disappointed. No balls or character. I play a Ludwig 6.5x14 supra or my new Joyful Noise 6.5x14 maple, both of which rip your face off. But, the kick drum and toms of the DW kit sound great, just as good as my Yamaha's and maybe even a tad sweeter on the low end. I think they're worth it and have no regrets making the switch a few years ago.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
dw makes great products, No doubt about it.
Many other manufacturers have upgraded their drums because of dw's quality.
Even if you don't own a dw kit you have probably benefitted from Drum Workshop for the above reason.

whatsam

It's great to hear what people who have had them for a while think. I completely understand that a purchase is to be made depending solely on the buyers opinions but i wanted to hear what they were like to live with. A friend of mine owns a top edge and he had similar things to say about it. "no body" "no warmth". He also complains about the hoops alot, I don't see why but has anyone else had similar problems?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
my Super Solid Edge (maple/walnut hybrid) is a dud. The drum is incredibly choked regardless of heads or tunings. No warmth or body whatsoever. That proprietary wood compression process that John Good likes to brag about may work well for furniture but it's a failure in terms of drum tone. Robs the wood of its natural warmth. I paid over $900 for this snare, which looks great at least
I'm sorry to hear that, as it's a shame when any player is disappointed, but I completely agree with your reasoning. The more you process wood, the less it gives back. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Nice, I've being looking at them for a while and they do look good. My local drum store had a 4pc performance series and it sounded better than anything in the store. Have you had any problems what so ever?
No issues at all, love them!!!

harryconway

Platinum Member
I understand that I am just curious as to the PERSONAL opinions of people who own them, If THEY think it was worth the money.
Well, here http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12480&highlight=dw+drums+worth+it is 10 pages of members (of this forum) here, who own, or don't own DW drums. Basically, there are three camps.​
1). People who own DW kits, and think they're worth the money.​
2). People who don't own DW kits, but think they're worth the money, but just don't care for the drum ... for one reason ... or another. This is the group I belong to. The DW is recognized the world over, as a top line drum kit. And, when comparing it to other flagship drum sets, it maybe priced more than some, but it's priced less than others.​
3). People who don't own DW kits, and for some reason ... hate them.​
Personally, for me to spend that kinda money, on anything ... I'm gonna do my homework .... before I open up my wallet ... and drop $1K, $2K, or $3K. I'll take a gamble on a cymbal, sure. I've been to 15 NAMM shows, in 20 years, so I pretty much know what all the high end drum kits sound like. I've been to hundreds of shown, and seen some of the best drummers in the world playing some of the best drum kits money can buy. And I've met, and talked to some of the best drummers in the world, and talked to them about the drums they play ... and why. And then, I process all this info., into my feeble little mind, and figure out what I like. And what I'm willing to spend money on. And from that ... I own 7 different acoustic drum kits, and three different electronic kits.​
If I suddenly woke up one day, and really, really, really ... needed to get my hands on a DW kit ... I'd have a bit of a "problem" ... because the best sounding DW kits I've even heard, are the ones that where made from old Camco shells. Not as "easy" to find, as just walking into your local Guitar Center, and saying " I wanna buy a DW drum set ... here's my money". Easier to find, would be for me to buy a Camco set.​
If you've found a DW kit, that you like, and buying it isn't gonna throw your "personal" economy into a tailspin, I'd say "pull the trigger". You'd be owning one of the best drum sets being made.​

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
As Harry said, there are numerous threads on this already.

I own a DW. Worth it to me, but then again, I bought mine used, so I didn't pay both an arm and leg for them.