Are bass drum stickers cool or corny ?

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I'm not sure what look I want to go with, but I do kind of like my little Zildjian gold chrome sticker. I'm an older cat so I FOR SURE don't know what's cool these days. I was never a big fan of the keystone thingy with peoples' initials in them.

Maybe post some pics of your front bass head with your opinion? No pics. it never happened. :)

Cheers,
Todd

Attachments

MikeM

Platinum Member
Tough call. To me, I think it's a little NASCAR looking, which isn't my thing, but my neighbor has an American muscle car with a checkered flag motif and logos all over it, so who's to say?

How many of those cars would be covered in logos if they didn't need the sponsorship dollars? I wonder what Warren Buffett's car would look like if he one. I'm guessing it would have a killer paint job, a couple of digits, and not much else. That's just speculation, of course.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I think if you are in a punk band, you need to have A LOT of stickers on your kick drum head. Otherwise a custom head, logo head, or blank head looks best.

Here's a fuzzy pic of my custom Pork Pie head (they actually don't make these anymore).

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I'd say they're trending out. Just my opinion.
LOL, funny stuff as I never knew when they were trending in !!

I will say this, those faux vintage front heads I'm seeing look like hell in my opinion, so for sure it's a matter of taste. The aquarian logo (on the bottom) I'm stuck with as it's integrated/silk screened(?) into the head.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
As long as they say Gretsch, they are cool. All others are just players. And corny is DW on a PDP kit. The ultimate corn.

Juniper

Gold Member
I have blank bass drum front heads on 3/4 kits I own. Prefer that look if I'm honest.

Would only consider stickers on my heads maybe if I endorsed products.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
I have blank bass drum front heads on 3/4 kits I own. Prefer that look if I'm honest.

Would only consider stickers on my heads maybe if I endorsed products.
Not even the kit brand logo? Man, you must be from the "Blank Generation". Good song by Richard Hell and the Voidoids. Played on a few bills with those guys back in the 70's.

Wave Deckel

Gold Member
If you have the drum-companys logo on the fronthead, that's okay for me. Every additional sticker ruins the look of the drumset IMO. I just don't like it.

But on my Sonor set, I couldn't even stand the BIG (!) Sonor logo the company put on it, because the whole drumset hardware is already full of small Sonor logos. Sonor logos wherever you looked. Argh. It was just too much. Replaced the reso with a decent black head. Much better now for my taste.

Others like those stickers though. To each his own. There is no wrong or right. Just personal taste.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Sonor, in my opinion, is the only logo that can actually be turned 90 degrees so that it reads from bottom to top on the left side. I have seen that a few times and it still looks okay by me.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
All those stickers on the bass drum remind me of the stickers you see on the side of tuner cars from the early 2000's. I'm not a fan, but many people are fans of stickers.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
LOL, funny stuff as I never knew when they were trending in !!

I will say this, those faux vintage front heads I'm seeing look like hell in my opinion, so for sure it's a matter of taste. The aquarian logo (on the bottom) I'm stuck with as it's integrated/silk screened(?) into the head.
Nail polish remover with acetone will take that right off without damaging the head. Do not try on coated heads though.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I never had anything on the head except its brand logo imprinted on it, and typically the name of the company whose drums I'm playing. Never had an urge to put my initials or other company logos on there. However I usually have some artwork related to Weird Al for TV and tours, copied/sourced from the most recent album's graphics. All with his approval of course.

One year we couldn't think of anything to put on there. The guitar player said "how about The Beatles?" Done!

Bermuda

Attachments

brady

Platinum Member
I've never been a fan of stickers on bass drums heads. However, I do have them plastered all over one of my coolers and random water bottles and stuff.

Like PorkPieGuy said, if you're in a punk band I could see it being almost a requirement but I play in a blues band and a jazz quartet. Just the manufacturer's logo is plenty for me. Ludwig...which is way cooler than Gretsch...fits the vibe. ;-)

Juniper

Gold Member
Not even the kit brand logo? Man, you must be from the "Blank Generation". Good song by Richard Hell and the Voidoids. Played on a few bills with those guys back in the 70's.
Yeah I prefer the look of a nice (white) blank head on the front

Don't get me wrong I don't mind the kits logo on there and when buying a kit I don't rush to swap a head that shows the brands logo, just change them due to wear and tear further down the line.

Although certainly not with stickers of whatever brand of sticks, cymbals, hardware I'm also using as I have no reason to advertise them. It's just not a look I personally like for my own sets, but whatever works for the individual I guess.