Are Bass Drum Hoops Narrower than Before?

Iristone

The Speed Kings were designed for wider vintage Ludwig hoops IIRC. They are a bit deep for my Taiwanese Ludwig too.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Time to start measuring hoops!

Pearl Midtown hoops: 1 5/8"
Vintage Pearl Wood-Fiberglass: 1 3/4"

In my case, yes they have gotten narrower.

wraub

One and a half inches on my 90s Yamaha.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
Ask OCDP & Varus drums about this. They have those extra wide front hoops giving the kick a longer profile. Not as long as these tho... ? 1603898471949.png

Last edited:

roncadillac

Ask OCDP & Varus drums about this. They have those extra wide front hoops giving the kick a longer profile. Not as wide as these tho... ? View attachment 97342

It may have been them but I don't remember exactly, one of those big name 'custom' companies had/has a line of mass produced budget kits that are available in big box gear stores that feature a stupidly wide front bass drum hoop, something like 6". SP has finished 4" wood hoops on GC.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
It may have been them but I don't remember exactly, one of those big name 'custom' companies had/has a line of mass produced budget kits that are available in big box gear stores that feature a stupidly wide front bass drum hoop, something like 6". SP has finished 4" wood hoops on GC.

Both Guitar Sucker & Sam Ass sold OCDP brand for a while. Was it like this one?
1603902470581.png

wraub

These are the type of drums I was remembering, and, somehow these look less good than I remembered. The reflective front head just makes it all worse, somehow. imo.

Both Guitar Sucker & Sam Ass sold OCDP brand for a while. Was it like this one?
View attachment 97345

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
they seem it to me! Speed King hits the batter head on a lot of drums I've found.
Ludwig hoops (as well as DW) are 1.75”. I recall in the 1975 Ludwig catalog, Ludwig tells you this and you might need a spacer they also sold if you were going to put your Speed King on somebody else’s hoops. Apparently back in the day Ludwig was the only one using 1.75” hoops.

Cool thing is Gibraltar’s nice replacement hoops are 1.75” wide.

harryconway

Platinum Member
they seem it to me! Speed King hits the batter head on a lot of drums I've found.
My "vintage Ludwig 3 ply hoops are 1 7/8". My vintage Gretsch Round Badge hoops are 1 5/8". My Yamaha 9000 series hoops are 1 5/8" One of my kicks has replacement aftermarket hoops on it, that measure 1 1/2".

IBitePrettyHard

2008 DW Collectors:

1 inch and 5/8
Interesting. I would tend to associate wider hoops with higher quality drums. I guess there's really no rhyme or reason.

For budget kits, narrower hoops are a cost-cutting measure, but I guess 1 5/8" isn't better or worse than 1 3/4."