are all these "Cymbal Packs" really a good deal?

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I always thought cymbal packs were the place where borderline rejects went.
No . . . a thousand times NO! Can you imagine what a monstrous, disastrous blow it would be to a cymbal company's reputation if every cymbal pack they sell was less than perfect? Packs sell very, very well for them. I think that's all the confirmation we need that these aren't bottom-line products. Besides that, can you recall even one person on these forums complaining about the quality of the cymbal packs they purchased? I can't.

GeeDeeEmm

roncadillac

It would actually be cool if they sold "seconds" as such. If Zildjian said "hey, you can get a 22" K Con ride for 30% off because it has a weird overtone that doesn't suit the rest of the product line (that you'll probably never hear anyway)"

charliedrummer

I purchased a Zildjian A391 cymbal pack and couldn't be happier. I was originally planning to buy one cymbal at a time, and I vowed that I would try every one in person rather than taking pot luck online. I was disappointed to find a limited selection when shopping locally so I decided to pull the trigger on the A391 box set after reading many positive reviews and listening to online samples. It didn't hurt that I was able to get the pack using a 25%-off coupon code from a major online drum shop, resulting in a final price below $600. The 14" New Beat hi-hats are so smooth and the 16" medium thin crash is the sleeper in the bunch. At first I felt that the 21" Sweet Ride was a bit too washy, preferring a bit more stick definition, but it has grown on me over the past 6 months. The bell is excellent! Interestingly, after receiving the set, I went out and purchased a 17" A medium thin to complement the 16" and 18" crashes. Although it was hand picked, it's taken me some time to warm up to it because the other two crashes are so good. I would have no reservations recommending this pack to others who want to save money on a quality set of cymbals.

yammyfan

I'm super happy with the Zildjian K pack I bought a couple of years ago. Not a bad one in the bunch.

Regrettably, you can't get the good Paistes in sets here in Canada. They rarely appear on the second-hand market either so if you want them, you must buy them individually. They're darn expensive, as most of you know.

Old Dog new Cans

No . . . a thousand times NO! Can you imagine what a monstrous, disastrous blow it would be to a cymbal company's reputation if every cymbal pack they sell was less than perfect? Packs sell very, very well for them. I think that's all the confirmation we need that these aren't bottom-line products. Besides that, can you recall even one person on these forums complaining about the quality of the cymbal packs they purchased? I can't.

GeeDeeEmm
And it's not like it's all low end. Meinl Byzance, K's, A customs, whatever you want. I mean, do the companies pick out their worst cymbals and say "HAHA! We're going to punish our customers because they spent EVEN MORE money!!" I don't believe it works that way. If you are starting out, need a full set of whatever, DEFINITELY go for it! Honestly, if I knew they were sold in box sets when I got back into drumming a year ago, I probably would have opted for it. Just for simplicity sake. One purchase, got it all.