are all these "Cymbal Packs" really a good deal?

wildbill

Platinum Member
I always thought cymbal packs were the place where borderline rejects went.
Possible.

But one man's reject is another man's treasure.
Also, on the flip side, there are some very popular cymbals that I don't like at all and would never consider buying.

harryconway

Platinum Member
You got it right Harry...that's what I bought and where I got it...only thing is I called them and showed them that I buy from them at least 3 times a month :) for the past 6 months so they tried to get me a good deal, because I asked and reminded them I buy tons of stuff monthly from them. With tax I paid $663, "free" shipping - this set is listed for $743 on most sites, including theirs

thanks for all the replies - very hepful and reassuring.
And ..... now explaining the back story to the price ..... we're getting close to what those cymbals actually "cost" the retailer. I doubt they sold you the cymbals below cost, you got something like 17% off.

I don't buy into this conspiracy theory that pack cymbals are defects/b-stock/seconds. Enjoy your new Sabians !!!

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've bought two packs and have been satisfied with every cymbal in them. Maybe I just got lucky.

I've bought many more single, used cymbals that I became dissatisfied with after a while.

brentcn

Platinum Member
I always thought cymbal packs were the place where borderline rejects went.
I thought so too. But I met a student at the drum store, and we ended up with an HHX Evo pack. The cymbals in the pack sounded very, very legit. We set them up next to a less expensive pack of A's, and even the novice drummer could hear the difference, describing them as "sophisticated". Even by themselves, each one had a nice even decay, and no strange, unbalanced overtones. The ride and hi-hats were particularly nice. The Ozone crash probably saves Sabian a little bit, since they can re-use the cut-out metal. But it's the packaging and handling savings -- the path from factory to customer is just shorter and faster.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Cymbal packs are a wonderful way to explore a cymbal line for those that do not have the experience, time, or disposition to undertake the individual selection of cymbals. They tend to be less expensive than individual purchase, and also tend to be an easy resale provided the packaging is saved.

I've purchased A-Custom packs and a custom pack of K's. The A's recouped ~75% on resale. I still use the K's to this very day.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Just for clarity, there is no factual or even anecdotal basis to my statement about the borderline rejects going to cymbal packs. I shouldn't have even said it. It was an unresearched assumption on my part so I retract it and I apologize for saying it.

trickg

Silver Member
When I first got involved in drumming in 2003 I got a Sabian AAX Stage Pack - economically it was the best way to get into good cymbals because the packs were less expensive than getting cymbals individually, and the Sabians (at the time) were less expensive than comparable Zildjian or Paiste setups.

I still use the hats and the 20"ride - sadly, I long since cracked and broke the 16" crash. That was back at a time when I played harder and hit much more directly than I do now. In any case, they all sounded good, and they sounded good together.

IMO, a cymbal pack can be a great way to go if you want to get a whole setup and save money while doing it.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Just for clarity, there is no factual or even anecdotal basis to my statement about the borderline rejects going to cymbal packs. I shouldn't have even said it. It was an unresearched assumption on my part so I retract it and I apologize for saying it.
Hope my reply wasn’t seen as an attack either. Sometimes, maybe too often my cut to the chase tech nerd replies can come off that way.

Last edited:

IBitePrettyHard

I played the HHX Evolution 15" hats and they blew me away. Super articulate and satisfying to play. I bet the 14s are just as good.

Let us know what you think of the set when it arrives.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
My input;

-There is no difference in quality between a cymbal pack product and sold as a single item. The cymbal does not know it’s going in a pack when it’s made.
- A cymbal pack equals loyalty. A drummer might otherwise pick from different brands. The manufacturer can therefore discount.
- the discount is often significant - one cymbal free usually.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I hope you didn’t interpret my c

Hope my reply wasn’t seen as an attack either. Sometimes, maybe too often my cut to the chase tech nerd replies can come off that way.
Not at all. It just made me realize that this is how misinformation starts on the webs and felt I had a responsibility to retract. But, the damage is probably already done, and another bad rumor is born..

bud7h4

Silver Member
all this is good news then, but I wonder how they sell for so cheap, or is the right question, why are individual cymbals SO expensive?
I guess they figure if you're buying a cymbal individually, you really need that cymbal, so they're going to raise the price. As for the lower priced box sets, the savings REALLY add up if you buy during sales (Captain Obvious here).

Just bought a NEW Sabian HHX Evolution 5-Cymbal Pack - arrive this week - $615 plus tax...seems to save hundreds(?) over buying separately.

So are these b-stocks or second rate versions that manufacturers throw together, or somehow inferior to buying separate cymbals? Cant believe how much different the price is - like getting 5 for price of 2 really.
Personally. I don't go for cymbal packs because I want to be unique with my cymbal setup that's not always in a typical pack. While buying a pack is ideal for a one and done scenario like buying for a church which I've done recently with the Sabian XSR pack. For my personally kit, I have different cymbals that work best for me. Like having a Zildjian K Sweet Crash with a K Cluster Crash and maybe an Organic Ride.