Arcanum Drums

mike d

Silver Member
That's the other thing. Real differences and improvements in sound are few and far between these days, compared to the frequent and significant changes up to a few decades ago. Cymbal companies seem to have made the most obvious changes compared to drum companies. And without being able to hear a drum, it's really hard to believe that a different/fresh/interesting design alone would make for a different, improved sound. All the more reason that these drums need to be heard before anyone sends them a nickel.

Bermuda
I think I know what you are saying, but even the cymbal tech is over rated as far as "sound" is concerned. In the "old" days, they didn't worry about patina, how the lathing looked, how the hand hammering came through. They just made cymbals for how they sounded. Now, all of those things sell cymbals, and it's the same concept with drums. The cymbals still have to sound good (best sounding cymbal I ever owned was a 50s K), as do the drums.
These guys are doing something pretty cool and different, and yes, the sound is the true test.

sacco

Re: Sorry, Charlie!

You have to know what you're buying, and things that make a sound must be (at least) heard first. A few exceptions would be a Supra, a 2002 crash, and the like, where if you've heard one, you've pretty much heard them all, and can order by mail with a high level of confidence and satisfaction.

Bermuda
I fully agree with you Bermuda! Anyway, here you can find a few videos: https://www.facebook.com/arcanumdrumcompany/?ref=bookmarks

J-Boogie

Gold Member
I actually like and appreciate that, and as an engineer, it intrigues me. Nothing really looks "wrong" about them. It's just a different aesthetic. But my bottom line is: Do they sound good? ;)
Id still be too intimidated to strike them with anything. Will you all try one and let me know. I want one

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member

I fully agree with you Bermuda! Anyway, here you can find a few videos: https://www.facebook.com/arcanumdrumcompany/?ref=bookmarks
Drums sound okay, but they're processed. It would be just as inaccurate with unprocessed camera audio with limiting. When I said a drum needs to heard, I meant in person. I know that audio files serve an important purpose, but I've yet to hear any that are accurate as to what a drum or cymbal sounds like in person.

Bermuda

J-Boogie

Gold Member

Drums sound okay, but they're processed. It would be just as inaccurate with unprocessed camera audio with limiting. When I said a drum needs to heard, I meant in person. I know that audio files serve an important purpose, but I've yet to hear any that are accurate as to what a drum or cymbal sounds like in person.

Bermuda
Testify!!!!! Truer truth has never been truthed!

M

MasterBlaster

I can never get the true sounds from a video. Like was said, you gotta hear them in person!

Soulfinger

"Thomas Pritgen"?!?
Never trust a company that can´t be bothered to look up the correct spelling of their artist´s names. :)