Aquarian Super Kick 10 mini-review

JimmyM

Gold Member
The Aquarian Super Kick 2 gets the love from drummers online but rarely does anyone talk about the Super Kick 10, and I recently got a couple with a set I bought, and got to wind them out for a few days on my DDrum 20 x 22 Diablo and my CB700 14 x 22 with watchface lugs and no reso head. Nothing but the finest for my tests! :D

First the important thing...these are the ugliest heads with the ugliest garish logos I have ever seen in my life! Nobody buys them but metalheads because they're ugly and loud looking. If I didn't get them with the kit, I'd never consider them based on ugliness alone.

They have extra thick plies and are designed to not require muting, and they don't if you're looking for basketballs on the gym floor with greatly enhanced sub lows. They're also very low pitched so you can tighten them up tight and do 16th note bass drum paraddles at 400 BPM. That part I actually like. But I had to tune them so tight to take a little edge off the sub frequencies that it took away the attack, and they were still too subby, and taking off the reso head did nothing to help.

So I tried them with a blanket inside. Finally the sub lows calmed down to a more trad level, and so did any semblance of tone when you run them headless. All lows and attacky highs. Adding a reso gave it some tone back, though, and backing off a little with the tuning gave it a good solid sound with some definition and a decent amount of high end that's approaching usable for me. Still not where I want them to be but I think I may actually be able to use them after I get the look toned down. I don't even want to take them out on a gig.

But they were free and I'll use them. I have the belief that any gear I'm using should be able to get a good sound as long as it's in good working order, and I won't let a doofy looking metal-only bass drum head stop me. I'm pretty close to getting a good sound out of the Diablo bass drum that doesn't make my head swim, and I'll complete the job tomorrow. But of all the muted heads of this nature I've used and heard before (Powerstroke, EMAD, SK2), this is by far my least favorite in every way. Then again, I'm not their target audience for this head and that's cool.

roncadillac

The Aquarian Super Kick 2 gets the love from drummers online but rarely does anyone talk about the Super Kick 10, and I recently got a couple with a set I bought, and got to wind them out for a few days on my DDrum 20 x 22 Diablo and my CB700 14 x 22 with watchface lugs and no reso head. Nothing but the finest for my tests! :D

First the important thing...these are the ugliest heads with the ugliest garish logos I have ever seen in my life! Nobody buys them but metalheads because they're ugly and loud looking. If I didn't get them with the kit, I'd never consider them based on ugliness alone.

They have extra thick plies and are designed to not require muting, and they don't if you're looking for basketballs on the gym floor with greatly enhanced sub lows. They're also very low pitched so you can tighten them up tight and do 16th note bass drum paraddles at 400 BPM. That part I actually like. But I had to tune them so tight to take a little edge off the sub frequencies that it took away the attack, and they were still too subby, and taking off the reso head did nothing to help.

So I tried them with a blanket inside. Finally the sub lows calmed down to a more trad level, and so did any semblance of tone when you run them headless. All lows and attacky highs. Adding a reso gave it some tone back, though, and backing off a little with the tuning gave it a good solid sound with some definition and a decent amount of high end that's approaching usable for me. Still not where I want them to be but I think I may actually be able to use them after I get the look toned down. I don't even want to take them out on a gig.

But they were free and I'll use them. I have the belief that any gear I'm using should be able to get a good sound as long as it's in good working order, and I won't let a doofy looking metal-only bass drum head stop me. I'm pretty close to getting a good sound out of the Diablo bass drum that doesn't make my head swim, and I'll complete the job tomorrow. But of all the muted heads of this nature I've used and heard before (Powerstroke, EMAD, SK2), this is by far my least favorite in every way. Then again, I'm not their target audience for this head and that's cool.
Thanks for the review! I've never tried the sk10 but I've tried the sk1 and sk2, my thoughts on those mirror yours regarding the 10 so I can only imagine it being that much worse. I know they have a following but I personally don't like aquarian heads in general... All of them sound lifeless and 'tubby' to me, even their single plys, and I've never played an aquarian head that didn't cut the volume potential of your drums in half. And this is coming from a guy who likes hydraulics, emads, and calftones haha.

Last edited:

RickP

Gold Member
I don't like the Superkick II or SK 10 - both are too dead to my ear. I far prefer the SK1 coated or the SK III - both of which are single ply ( albeit the SK III has a power dot). They still have some resonance unlike the SK 10 and SK II.

JimmyM

Gold Member
I don't like the Superkick II or SK 10 - both are too dead to my ear. I far prefer the SK1 coated or the SK III - both of which are single ply ( albeit the SK III has a power dot). They still have some resonance unlike the SK 10 and SK II.
I'm coming really fast to the conclusion that the SK10 isn't going to be usable for me. The Pearl 20 bass drum I'm getting soon is coming with either an EMAD or an EQ, and I think I'll like one of them a lot better. I'd bet money on it, actually. I already know I like EMAD's.

roncadillac

I'm coming really fast to the conclusion that the SK10 isn't going to be usable for me. The Pearl 20 bass drum I'm getting soon is coming with either an EMAD or an EQ, and I think I'll like one of them a lot better. I'd bet money on it, actually. I already know I like EMAD's.
The eq4 batter head is just the Evans equivalent to the Remo PS3, meaning single ply with edge ring. Very versatile head, it's what I use when I need a bit A bit more life in a drum then the emad offers. The eq3 batter is the two ply version of that same head.

JimmyM

Gold Member
The eq4 batter head is just the Evans equivalent to the Remo PS3, meaning single ply with edge ring. Very versatile head, it's what I use when I need a bit A bit more life in a drum then the emad offers. The eq3 batter is the two ply version of that same head.
Ya, I'm really digging Evans heads so far. Tried a 300 snare side and I've got EC2's on my toms, and they're well built and sound like their Remo equivalents to me. Not tried their Ambassador equivalent on a snare, but IMHO anything but an Ambassador is just plain wrong :D but for everything else I may become a convert.

graysonator

JimmyM

Gold Member
Have you tried the Force series bass heads from Aquarian? It’s their equivalent of a P3 and although I’ve never tried one myself as I am a fan of the SK heads, but I’ve heard from others that it’s a lot more open and a touch more lively.
I have not, but honestly, I'd just like to get a head I can live with easier than the SK10 and be done with it, and my buddy has a couple used Evans heads he'll let go for cheap. I'm one of these types where I'll experiment till I find something that works for me, then I usually stop unless I find something so much better I can't live without it. A P3 equivalent sounds more up my alley, but this is the second Aquarian bass head I've tried and I guess I just don't vibe with them.

roncadillac

Ya, I'm really digging Evans heads so far. Tried a 300 snare side and I've got EC2's on my toms, and they're well built and sound like their Remo equivalents to me. Not tried their Ambassador equivalent on a snare, but IMHO anything but an Ambassador is just plain wrong :D but for everything else I may become a convert.

The uv1 is an ambassador weight head with a bulletproof coating and works especially well with brushes, it's worth the few extra dollars.

JimmyM

Gold Member
Well, my Pearl Export bass drum came with an SK II, and it's definitely better, but I guess Aquarian heads just aren't my thing. Bummed I didn't get the Evans head, but it's fine. I'll use it till it breaks, which will probably be never. Some thick-ass heads, man!

Erberderber

I have an SK 10 and I love it. I even like the way it looks! I use it tuned tight so I get a decent bounce. I put a small foam strip inside it and I have a reso head with a hole in it up front. I don't get that basketball sound as my BD is a 22 x 14 but I'd imagine it would get worse with thicker BDs. It sounds a bit boomy on its own but sits very well with the rest of the band and pumps through well also when unmiked.

Last edited:

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Have you tried the Force series bass heads from Aquarian? It’s their equivalent of a P3 and although I’ve never tried one myself as I am a fan of the SK heads, I’ve heard from others that it’s a lot more open and a touch more lively.
I have tried the Force 1 clear and was very happy with it ! I don't like - not to say despise - SK 1/2 but the Force is like an Evans EQ4 with a broader ring, very nice and durable. Also I have played Texture Coated (Evans G1 equivalent) and they were really really great and durable. They sounded nice on my drum kit (Premier) - The Performance II on toms are fun to play, too dead for me though.

JimmyM

Gold Member
So just to add onto this review, I tried the 10 on the 83 Ludwig Classic 20 x 16 I got a month ago, and I think that ultra low end is as much from the 10 as the shell depth. Not quite as deep as the Diablos, but definitely has that boosted D112 sound built in. I actually didn’t hate it on the Ludwig. Still would never buy one, though ;)