Aquarian Heads Made In Mexico?

vyacheslav

Greetings,

I recently posted another thread about wanting to try out some Aquarian Drum Heads, as I have been a Remo guy pretty much my entire career (with some Evans UV1 over the last few years).

I am liking the Texture Coated heads, but I was surprised to see that they are made in Mexico. I know Remo and Evans are made in the USA. I know Remo uses Chinese or Tawaiinese heads for stock heads on budget and intermediate kits (UK, UC, UX etc).

Did Aquarian used to be USA made? I was surprised (and quite frankly, a little disappointed) that they are not USA Made. I thought the only "aftermarket" head company that didn't make their heads in the USA was Attack.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 12
Aquarian moved their production facilities down to Mexico back in late 2006/early 2007. Some will argue with me on this, but the first few batches of heads that came out of the Mexico facility were pretty sketchy (quality-wise), so I switched to Evans.

A few friends of mine stuck with Aquarian, and they reported that those problems were eventually worked out. They say quality ended up better than it was before before the move from Southern California to Northern Mexico.

Last edited:
yep, used to be USA made, nearly all of my heads on one of my kits are from the USA-era. as said above, they moved production to mexico some years ago, and yes the first few batches were hit n miss, but they soon rectified that, now their quality is top notch :)

I have been using Aquarians for many years, and quality has always been - perfect.

I have been using Aquarians for many years, and quality has always been - perfect.
snap! i've only ever had one bad head from them, and they sent me a goodie box as a replacement as well as a new head <3

I wonder if the new trade deal will impact the cost of Aquarians? Or if you have to keep their papers else they can be deported ROFL.

I wonder if other countries care about where something is made as much as we do?

Like do third world countries that barely have electricity care that their villages one computer is made in China? Or Mexico?

Have we become so spoiled that a products country of manufacture really does mean something? If the material is the same, and the machines are the same, the only difference is the human pushing the button.

I wonder that too Mr Polack. Many of the less expensive early asian "stencil" kits trying to compete in US market are highly prized now. I bet the asian/mexico less expensive kits of today will be praised later in a future vintage market. Quality is quality and depending on items even the Chinese knock offs (exact same in appearance and even trade marked name ripped off) though fake work just as well.

I wonder if other countries care about where something is made as much as we do?

Like do third world countries that barely have electricity care that their villages one computer is made in China? Or Mexico?

Have we become so spoiled that a products country of manufacture really does mean something? If the material is the same, and the machines are the same, the only difference is the human pushing the button.

I think it makes more of a difference to us because 4 generations ago, when the jobs of those who made those products here originally started to be shipped to other countries, it negatively effected our economy, and those peoples lives. I feel like I grew up right in the hey day of that outsourcing of jobs - in the 70's and 80's, and I saw it directly destroy my mom's side of the family as they were all auto industry workers

and people in those countries probably care just as much because of the influx and outgo of jobs in their areas as well.

while I 100% agree that we area super-spoiled society, I don't think worrying about where things are made is detrimental, and actually still directly effects our way of life. I buy American as much as possible. NOT because I feel a patriots duty to it, but because keeping the economy local directly effects my way of life.

If my neighbors are doing well, then my immediate living situation is good. If the local strip of family owned shops is doing well, then I can walk to their shops, get to know them, and why they chose to produce and invest in their product, and it means more to the whole "hive". I know that I am getting a product that had some time and care put into it's development and creation.

Long story short, I don't think it is "selfish" to want to support and sustain a local economic enclave, and to be able to see my investment directly do good nad possibly come back to me in some way

think it makes more of a difference to us because 4 generations ago, when the jobs of those who made those products here originally started to be shipped to other countries, it negatively effected our economy, and those peoples lives. I feel like I grew up right in the hey day of that outsourcing of jobs - in the 70's and 80's, and I saw it directly destroy my mom's side of the family as they were all auto industry workers

I was born mid 70s. American made cars were very poor in comparison to their Japanese counterparts. That, horrible MPG, and the gas crisis helped kill the auto industry. And back then it did matter. Nothing was outsourced. Crappy US products killed the auto industry in the 70s-80s, not outsourcing.

while I 100% agree that we area super-spoiled society, I don't think worrying about where things are made is detrimental, and actually still directly effects our way of life. I buy American as much as possible. NOT because I feel a patriots duty to it, but because keeping the economy local directly effects my way of life.

Wait, don't you play Pearl and Zildjian and drive a Toyota? I didn't know those are American companies.

It doesn't matter anymore.

I was born mid 70s. American made cars were very poor in comparison to their Japanese counterparts. That, horrible MPG, and the gas crisis helped kill the auto industry. And back then it did matter. Nothing was outsourced. Crappy US products killed the auto industry in the 70s-80s, not outsourcing.

that is true about the American cars dropping big time in quality, and I don't deny that that was part of the tail end of that.

Wait, don't you play Pearl and Zildjian and drive a Toyota? I didn't know those are American companies.

It doesn't matter anymore.

Zildjian is American, at least any Zildjian I own (1948-2007) was made in the Massachusettes plant...and my car was made in Missouri....but I get that it goes back to Japan

but as I mentioned before, I don't exclusively buy American. I try to when I can, and really try to buy my food as local as possible

Zildjian is American, at least any Zildjian I own (1948-2007) was made in the Massachusettes plant...and my car was made in Missouri....but I get that it goes back to Japan

but as I mentioned before, I don't exclusively buy American. I try to when I can, and really try to buy my food as local as possible

That's why I just don't think it matters anymore. Not too many products are solely the country of origin anymore. Except the food. That I would like as local as possible. I get that it's February, and if I want strawberries they probably come from south of the border. Even food has its exceptions.

That's why I just don't think it matters anymore. Not too many products are solely the country of origin anymore. Except the food. That I would like as local as possible. I get that it's February, and if I want strawberries they probably come from south of the border. Even food has its exceptions.

I agree...I remember my dad used to be very vocal about this issue, and until about 93, when I got out of college, I was the same way. Then I realized how tough it was becoming to "buy American" for real. i remember my sister and I would have to fib about where we got some things back then.

If you like the heads , who cares where they are made . If you like the heads , the price is agreeable then just buy them .

I signed on as an Aquarian artist just before the move. I will say, I didn't see a huge dip in quality, but I did prefer the American made heads.
That has since changed. They made steady improvements, and the heads they produce today are 10x better than anything they ever had in the past, American made included! I truly believe they are the best heads on the market and I'm glad I stuck with them. I Even turned down a better deal from another major brand some years back.

I absolutely LOVE Aquarian, and i believe when they moved they made sure to move so close to the border they were able to keep on long time employees which is awesome.
I am using their american vintage head on my snare and i had one split after a few days (only head i have ever had an issue with from them) i sent a pic and 2 days later i had 2 brand new heads in the mail.. That's how a good company treats customers :)

I love their sound and the coating is insanely tough..

Back