Aquarian coating too good?

mrmike

Silver Member
Just put a new Aquarian texture coated on my snare a like the sound well enough but for brush playing it's really too much or at least more than I'm use to. Remo has always been my go to but the coating gets too smooth after a while. I assume the Aquarian will wear down but until then I was thinking of using some sandpaper. Anyone else have this problem?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Just put a new Aquarian texture coated on my snare a like the sound well enough but for brush playing it's really too much or at least more than I'm use to. Remo has always been my go to but the coating gets too smooth after a while. I assume the Aquarian will wear down but until then I was thinking of using some sandpaper. Anyone else have this problem?

When have you ever had the problem of your brush playing being too loud? LOL

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Aquarian have a different coating for sure, but I don't thing an etched Remo or Evans gives you less response, just different.

Being used to Ambassadors. Issue with Aquarian for me is that they sound a bit flat.

The coating on Ambassadors isn't the best, but then again, nothing else sounds like them.

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
The sweeping sound is loud compared to an Ambassador. I like that though because it really puts a microscope to how smooth your brush playing is. On a broken in Ambassador your stirs may sound like a steady rain, but on a new Texture Coated it can sound like ocean waves hitting the shore. Brush playing is something im really trying to work on right now. Sanding is an option, but I wouldn't do it. Wear it down by playing. I love the grey look and feel of a brush played head.

RickP

Gold Member
I use Aquarian Texture coated and Modern Vintage heads and I play a lot of brushes in small group jazz and Big Band situations. The rougher coating of the Aquarian heads was one of the selling features for me along with the sound of these heads. The heads do take some time to get used to if you are coming from the Remo Ambassador camp. I have gotten used to the rough coating now and don't need to modify the heads anymore when I pull them out of the box.

If you are a new user and are having issues,
I generally do one of two things when I out on a new Aquarian texture coated or Modern Vintage head.

1) At home prior to a rehearsal or gig, I put the snare on a stand and just sweep in circular motions with both hands on the head for 5 or 10 minutes.

or
2) Take some very fine grit sandpaper and slightly sand down the head.

I far prefer option 1, but I do keep a small square of sandpaper in my stick bag for additional smoothing if needed.

mrmike

Silver Member
I am getting use to the feel of head with brushes. It does take less pressure and seems to have great potential for different sounds. It also seems to be opening up a bit with sticks from what it sounds like out of the box. I still may go back to Remo but it's definitely a head I could live with.

evolving_machine

Silver Member
I installed a deep vintage aquarian on my gretsch 14 x 5 hammered copper and it really turned the drum on. I've been using the modern vintage for a while now. Unlike remo or evans I do not ware through the coating. on my 14 x 5 dynasonic I had a modern vintage on for over two years. I wanted to clean the drum, so I used some bleach from a spray bottle. The bleach did clean the head, but it also smoothed out the roughness, and the surface is not as good for brushes.

ZildjianLover

I would definitely just wear the coating down by playing on it. Who knows, maybe your ears will adjust to the difference from the rougher Aquarian head. I hope you like it.