APX 24" Ride

Nitemare

Hey guys!

I post alot, i didnt realize this. But anyway! I saw a really good deal on a Sabian APX 24" Ride, and i wanted to know what its like. Is it crashable?

Thanks!

Unlike the 22" APX, the 24" is crashable! It's actually a really nice ride, not overly pingy, very Paiste-like, kind of Giant Beat-ish maybe with a little more bite.

I have been using APX Solid and also have APX regular sets, both with 22" rides, and I know what they do: they're rides, and that's it. I had to be talked into trying the 24", and I'm glad I did, it's a terrific cymbal!

Bermuda

Unlike the 22" APX, the 24" is crashable! It's actually a really nice ride, not overly pingy, very Paiste-like, kind of Giant Beat-ish maybe with a little more bite.

I have been using APX Solid and also have APX regular sets, both with 22" rides, and I know what they do: they're rides, and that's it. I had to be talked into trying the 24", and I'm glad I did, it's a terrific cymbal!

Bermuda

Thanks so much! is it worth $200-$250?

I think $250 is about half of retail, so that's a good price. But $200 would be a really good deal!

Bermuda

The 24" APX is an awesome cymbal, and I crash mine A LOT!

If you can find one around $200, don't let me know because I'll snatch it hahaha!
JK :) $250 would be great too, and thatt's 50% off. TOTALLY worth the price.

This is a great performing ride, and when I recorded with it, it had lots of shimmer, nice body, smooth crash and the bell is really great.

Don't let the price, or the B8 alloy fool you, these APX's are some great cymbals!

I was considering this or the Paiste Giant Beat 24". I played a smaller APX once, might have been a 20", and it was very pingy and clean sounding, very Paiste-like. You don't see a lot of them or much talk about them but the one I played sure sounded good.

I've been using APX since they came out almost 4 years ago, and I talk about them all the time! :)

Bermuda

how do 15"s compare to 14"s and 13"s ?

Well, I'm actually switching to 13's soon for DnB, but 15's cover more area, have a more solid meaty chick, and great wash, but they can be overbearing at times. It's a myth that they're not articulate, I find them very articulate especially (of course) with nylon tips.

Bermuda's cymbals sounded great through the PA the other night at the Weird Al concert. I am not sure of the exact models he was using, but they all sounded quite good. I especially liked the hi-hats.

Let me give a shout out to my man Karl Crafton on this matter. He was nice enough to email me a song which featured his 24" APX because I was thinking about buying one. I made the plunge and bought it and I couldn't be happier. From what I've heard its very similar to a Giant Beat. There is a bit of glassy high end ring to it that has mellowed out a bit. It may be me getting used to it but It sounded like the crash on it was a touch harsh when I first got it. It blends in nicely with my other cymbals now. Also thanks to Mr John Schwartz for his help with my selection.

It makes a great rock cymbal because of the volume and cut you can get out of a pie of that size but I find mine works great in my Ragtime/Punk band. I've already polished the hell out of it to remove any protective coating it has on there as I want it to develop a nice patina on there.

My only complaint is that ugly "APX" logo; it looks like some skateboard company from the late 90's. Thankfully all that polishing has faded that logo but left the Sabian on there.

Last edited:
Let me give a shout out to my man Karl Crafton on this matter. He was nice enough to email me a song which featured his 24" APX because I was thinking about buying one. I made the plunge and bought it and I couldn't be happier. From what I've heard its very similar to a Giant Beat. There is a bit of glassy high end ring to it that has mellowed out a bit. It may be me getting used to it but It sounded like the crash on it was a touch harsh when I first got it. It blends in nicely with my other cymbals now. Also thanks to Mr John Schwartz for his help with my selection.

It makes a great rock cymbal because of the volume and cut you can get out of a pie of that size but I find mine works great in my Ragtime/Punk band. I've already polished the hell out of it to remove any protective coating it has on there as I want it to develop a nice patina on there.

My only complaint is that ugly "APX" logo; it looks like some skateboard company from the late 90's. Thankfully all that polishing has faded that logo but left the Sabian on there.

Why the patina? I tend to avoid that stuff.

Why the patina? I tend to avoid that stuff.

Just to mellow the sound out a little bit. I also use a pair of 15" hats, New Beats from the 70's with a nice layer of patina on there. I feel that the patina cuts a little bit of the brightness off. You may like a nice bright ride but I prefer just a little smokiness to it. I do like to keep my crashes/chinas/splashes shiny though because I like them nice and bright.

Preference, that's all.

Just to mellow the sound out a little bit. I also use a pair of 15" hats, New Beats from the 70's with a nice layer of patina on there. I feel that the patina cuts a little bit of the brightness off. You may like a nice bright ride but I prefer just a little smokiness to it. I do like to keep my crashes/chinas/splashes shiny though because I like them nice and bright.

Preference, that's all.

Oh i understand. I like patina on my larger crashes actually, but i love the bright cut of my ride

Back