Apple's El Capitan OS. Don't Download It!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Bob, iPhoto should have a check mark at the top of the page, something like open iPhoto with this device. uncheck it, or use this in iPhoto Preferences.
Connecting camera opens: No Application
Thanks Jon, I did go to settings and turn off the switch.
My point was that I bought my Zoom a few years ago and I loaded the Zoom Handyshare software. I plugged my Zoom into the USB and it opened Handyshare.
After I loaded El Capitan, iPhoto would open when I plugged my Zoom into the USB port. Many people would be baffled by this. I was for a few mins. The same kind of thing happened with my Tascam recorder. I plugged the recorder into the USB, I opened GarageBand, The sound wouldn't work properly with no warning as to why.
You would think that Apple could have programed warning messages to pop up and tell the user that the drivers needed to be updated when they downloaded El Capitan.

KamaK

Platinum Member
You would think that Apple could have programed warning messages to pop up and tell the user that the drivers needed to be updated when they downloaded El Capitan.
In all fairness...

The Apple universalUSBAudio driver appears to have given the boot to all devices that do not properly adhere to the USB spec. Workarounds were made only for Apple partners. Non-partners now need to create and sign their own drivers so that malware authors cannot release malware infested drivers and potentially compromise your computer.

The part that I didn't like was that this was a total surprise to most customers and device manufacturers. The makers of USB speakers were the hardest hit, as they all use the same buggy hardware codecs that have been supported by 5 generations of workarounds.

So while Apple did the right thing, it would have been nice for them to let everyone know ahead of time.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I wouldn't expect Apple to notify users of third party drivers etc. I'm in the habit of checking for updates when I plug in a device I haven't used in a while.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I wouldn't expect Apple to notify users of third party drivers etc. I'm in the habit of checking for updates when I plug in a device I haven't used in a while.
Indeed, though in many cases, there was no need for a third party driver prior to El Capitan. The previous UniversalUSBAudio driver worked with the broken devices.

Many users are in a situation now where their hardware either won't or can't release a driver for the audio device they purchased.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I ran into the problem years ago when my Canon flatbed scanner would not work on my Apple. Drivers not available. Scanner became a boat anchor.

M

Matt Bo Eder

ive had problems with the last 2 OS upgrades before El capitan. the battery just didnt last more than an hour. ill just keep snow leopard
I don't understand this statement. So you're trying to load El Cap on your computer while its running on a battery? Apple tells you you need to plug in, don't they? You need constant power to do an install that big.

Or are you taking about something else?

KamaK

Platinum Member
Or are you taking about something else?
After the installation, the battery reports that it is draining faster.

Looking at the power management in OS X, it looks like the OS keeps statistics on the the battery discharge rate / voltage drop so that it can predict %remaing and duration. When you reinstall/upgrade, the stats are wiped . The result is an ultra conservative estimation of the battery capacity, which leads to significantly shorter runtimes until the new stats are collected.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
In all fairness...

So while Apple did the right thing, it would have been nice for them to let everyone know ahead of time.
I agree, and I have no issue with Apple creating new and better software. As an Apple user, I shouldn't be left scrambling for drivers after a operating system update. A friend of mine was also upset when she tried to use her camera. She emailed me and asked me for help. She is not a computer savvy person and she was lost. She uses Apple because Apple generally is easy for the average person to get results.