Apple's El Capitan OS. Don't Download It!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I loaded El Capitan onto me MacBook pro a few weeks ago.
Nothing but trouble. Kept getting Java pop up warnings. No fix available.
My Tascam audio interface wouldn't work, no driver upgrades available from Tascam.
I went back to Yosemite.
Don't waste your time downloading it!

octatonic

All working fine here, although Native Instruments didn't have updates on release day.
Not sure if they do now.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Thanks for the tip. I'll wait a few more weeks while you pioneering-types get the arrows out of your backs ;)

KamaK

Platinum Member
No issues on a late 2012 iMac and 2013 rMBP. I've heard about some users experiencing wifi issues. No issues with either in conjunction with the Zoom R16 yet.

What java popup warning are you receiving? I run the legacy VM so my kid can play Minecraft, and haven't run into an issue yet. Are you running the oracle blob by chance?

I've also seen some horror stories: http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/09/os-x-el-capitan-update-breaks-some-music-software/ and https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7267343

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Last time I checked, even Avid were lacking El Capitan drivers - and they're the guys that make Pro Tools. Line 6 don't have drivers for a lot of interfaces, as well as Tascam. You're hardly alone there. Audio device support always lags a bit with the rapid release cycle - last time around I had to wait over a month for a driver and had to use my old MacBook Pro rather than my rMBP.

It's generally good advice to not update to a new OS until at least the .1 release. I don't usually; especially seeing as my old system is currently on loan to a friend and driver support is an issue. Yosemite is fine for now and I'll upgrade to El Capitan when some of the bugs are sorted.

EDIT: Most of the audio bugs seem to be fixed by the OS X 11.1 Beta. Seems like Apple were at fault this time rather than drivers lagging behind - it's usually the drivers. If you want to upgrade to El Capitan, wait for the public 11.1 release and try it then, it should be available in a few days.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I was thinking about this: I've been a Mac guy since OS 6.0.5! That's over 20 years of Macintosh! And a few years before then with an Apple IIe. Into vintage drums? I could be into vintage computing too! Wow.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I wish I saw this post like, this morning because I downloaded it and finally got it running tonight.
I'm guessing I'm in a world of disgust soon.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I kept up on the issues and I found that it was time for me to be able to load El Capitan.
I downloaded it along with all of the drivers that I needed. I even downloaded the Java fix.
All is working well for me now.

KamaK

Platinum Member
I kept up on the issues and I found that it was time for me to be able to load El Capitan.
I downloaded it along with all of the drivers that I needed. I even downloaded the Java fix.
All is working well for me now.
Indeed. Zoom even updated the R16/24 driver on Dec 10th. No issues for me at the moment.

v.zarate

Gold Member
ive had problems with the last 2 OS upgrades before El capitan. the battery just didnt last more than an hour. ill just keep snow leopard

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Indeed. Zoom even updated the R16/24 driver on Dec 10th. No issues for me at the moment.
Yes, I also loaded the new drivers for my Zoom. It kept opening iPhoto instead of Handyshare when I plugged my Zoom Q2 recorder into the USB slot.

There are no warning messages that pop up when you plug in a device that is not compatible with the new operating system.
It would be great if a pop up message would appear telling that you need new drivers. Many people who aren't computer savvy don't understand why their device no longer interfaces with their computer. In my case with my Zoom I scratched my head for a few moments because it had been a while since I loaded El Capitan and I forgot about the new operating system for a few mins.

Last edited: