Appeal for Leo, our drummer friend in Cuba.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Ok guys & galls, we've probably read the thread posted by our member Leo in the "Your Gear" section. If you haven't yet, then please do. I've put it back at the top of the list to lift the profile. Once you've read the thread you'll be in no doubt about Leo's dedication to his craft and his impressive efforts to make his own gear out of whatever he can find. He's posted some of his playing as well & this guy's not messing around.

After a few weeks of trying to find reliable ways of getting some gear to Leo, we've finally come up with a plan. Air shipment from NA is probably the most reliable standard method. I've had my Canadian business contacts look into this for me and I can tell you, it's not easy. A 2' x 2' x 2' box would cost $400 + documentation fees (release documents (embargo), importation docs, agency fees, etc, etc) of over $300. We've had a break through. Leo has a friend who is travelling from Canada to Cuba at the start of December. I've had conversations with him and he can take a limited amount of gear directly to Leo. My business contacts (& ultimately my main employer) are based in Richmond Hill, Ontario. This is a very convenient location for Leo's friend to pick up from. Novaflex (my contact) have kindly agreed to act as a consolidation point. I think this is the most reliable arrangement we can make right now. Leo can testify to his friend's trustworthyness and I can do the same for Novaflex.

Leo's friend can only carry a certain amount. With that in mind, we're appealing for specific things;

1/ a quality double pedal. This is Leo's dream.
2/ a small selection (say 3 or 4) good quality cymbals suitable for heavy rock.
3/ a cymbal bag.

Although it would be great to arrange other stuff as well, it's really not possible on this occasion.

So this is what I want from you guys. We either want gear donations as above or more members could contribute by sending money. Money's more arkward because we'd then need to nominate someone in Canada to receive the money & go buy the gear then deliver it to Novaflex in Richmond Hill, Ontario. As time is short, we need to make this happen quickly.

Let's discuss whatever idea's, help, gear, donations you can contribute on this thread. We'll then use this thread to finally decide who's sending / doing what and take it from there. Please don't send anything until we've sorted the logistics out. Once we've decided exactly what we're doing, I'll post the relevant contact details and instructions. I've looked into sending gear donations from members in Europe & beyond. It's not really an economical proposition, so a money donation option would be great if we can find someone happy to accept donations (method to be decided by volunteer) & get gear on behalf of the DW members. We can do a 50/50 arrangement as well. I need ideas & volunteers guys, but quick.

Thanks & fondest regards to all, KIS (Andy)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I'll kick off with an offer of $200 CAN if we can arrange a money receiving point & buyer in Canada.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
Probably a good idea for a money transfer is to use paypal, as much as i hate them. If we could get 20 people to donate £10 then that would be enough to get a nice quality double pedal.

spantney

More than happy to donate some funds for our hard rocking amigo, can probably muster 30 quid or 50 CAD so let me know when/where to send it (via paypal will be best option as previously mentioned).

Also since sticks and heads are probably quite hard to get in cuba, would they be able to get that sort of stuff? That wont weigh loads anyway... All we'd need is Leo's drum sizes.

Last edited:

jordanz

I'll donate $50 if I know where to donate.

BTW - in my sig I have a link to another drummer in need. Please check it out.

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

I just stumbled on this thread. I dunno if I can contribute anything, but will if I can.

I have to say something here-- what a GREAT group of folks we have on here--dedicated, caring, and getting involved in a selfless manner.

I am SO proud to be a part of this website community, and honored to associate with such great people.

Cheers to all, and all the best to you, Leo.

C. P.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to those who've responded to date but we need more help. We especially need someone based in Canada to accept donations then go & buy some stuff on our behalf. The consolidation & pickup point is confirmed, the guy to take the stuff to Leo is confirmed, we just need this last link in the chain and the generous support of some more members. A lot of members offered assistance on the original thread about Leo's drums, we now need those same guys to post here so we can get things underway. Time is short. We need to get moving to ensure we can get the stuff together in time for Leo's friend to pick it up from Novaflex in Richmond Hill, Ontario. I'd do it all from here but it's just not feasible. Regards to all, KIS.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I'd be happy to help in the next couple of weeks. Let me know where to PayPal some moolah for Leo and I'll see what I can do.

jordanz

I apologize for mentioning this on someone else's thread, but I've been trying to get drummers to help out a fellow drummer, Gerry Gibbs, for weeks now. Please while you're in the giving mood, please have a look a this website and help a drummer in need: http://www.helpgerrygibbs.com

Moldy

Silver Member
I'd like to chip in money as well. Unfortunately, I don't live in Canadia to be of help beyond that :\

jer

Silver Member
Here's me offering...

I'm in Toronto, could quite possibly be that guy you need. I will be leaving the country as of Christmas until the beginning of February, but if things can be worked around that timeline, I'm in and available to assist.

My internet access is somewhat limited at the moment, Andy, I can be reached best at the email address in my profile if you'd like to discuss further.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Here's me offering...

I'm in Toronto, could quite possibly be that guy you need. I will be leaving the country as of Christmas until the beginning of February, but if things can be worked around that timeline, I'm in and available to assist.

My internet access is somewhat limited at the moment, Andy, I can be reached best at the email address in my profile if you'd like to discuss further.
Great!!!! Glad you're around and in the right location too. Timeline's no problem because Leo's friend is leaving for Cuba first or second week December. Would you be happy to receive payments to your account by Paypal? Also cheques, etc, etc? We would then ask you to go buy some stuff and arrange delivery to our consolidation point in Richmond hill. It's a bit of work on your behalf but for a great cause. I'll try to mail you via your suggested method but I also want to conduct the whole thing on this page in the forum. It's important for members to see what's going on and for efforts to be coordinated. Thanks for stepping up. As time is short, please consider the questions I've asked and get back on this page ASAP. It will mean you releasing details of your account number & sort code or setting up an account specifically for this project. I assure you I'd be happy to do this myself but there's the slight problem of 3,500 miles. Thanks again, KIS.

Moldy

Silver Member
For transfers via paypal, all you need is the recipient's email address (that is used for the account). There's no release of information beyond that.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for putting me straight Moldy & EH. There you go Jer, please excuse my ignorance. It's easier than I thought. Get back asap, KIS.

jer

Silver Member
I can do these things. I’m not able to contribute on a financial level, (aside from covering costs of getting myself around and dropping things off), so it’s a way I feel I can help out a brother in need with the resources I have. I do however have a whack load of used 14” Coated Ambassadors I can donate if they are needed, maybe this is why I’ve been saving them?

I wonder if any of the folks here work at any of the shops here in Toronto that could assist with pricing or availability, and if any of these stores would be interested in offering a discount to the cause (even a staff discount would be awesome...). Anyone work at L&M’s, Steve’s, Just Drums, etc...? I wonder if Dakota and Cakco Drums would be able to donate some gear maybe?

Also wondering if anyone has investigated potential taxes or duties that Leo's contact may face at customs?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I can do these things. I’m not able to contribute on a financial level, (aside from covering costs of getting myself around and dropping things off), so it’s a way I feel I can help out a brother in need with the resources I have. I do however have a whack load of used 14” Coated Ambassadors I can donate if they are needed, maybe this is why I’ve been saving them?

I wonder if any of the folks here work at any of the shops here in Toronto that could assist with pricing or availability, and if any of these stores would be interested in offering a discount to the cause (even a staff discount would be awesome...). Anyone work at L&M’s, Steve’s, Just Drums, etc...? I wonder if Dakota and Cakco Drums would be able to donate some gear maybe?

Also wondering if anyone has investigated potential taxes or duties that Leo's contact may face at customs?
jer, that's great. Acting as the receiving point & arranging gear is a huge contribution on it's own. Both I, & all DW contributors are very grateful. Anyone who wishes to send gear (along the lines of the list in the first post) can send it directly to Novaflex in Richmond Hill (I'll supply the full address once everything is agreed). It's the receiving of donations, buying the stuff with those donations & getting them to Novaflex that we need you for.

As for duties, etc. We looked into this in great detail. Frankly, it's a minefield, especially at the Cuban end of things. Leo's friend has brought stuff for musicians into Cuba previously without problems apparently. Leo has nominated him and obviously has trust in him. I've communicated with Leo's friend myself & he seems genuine. Is there a risk that the stuff could be seized, impounded or similar? I think that's distinctly possible but I'm assured this hasn't happened to date. Frankly, it's the best route we've got. This is the main reason why we can't give too much bulky stuff because it's going into personal luggage.

Anyhow jer, would you kindly set up a Paypal account as soon as possible then post the info necessary for the members to make donations on this page. We've only got a short time to get this moving. As I promised, I'll start the fund with $200 Can. Once you've posted the Paypal details, I'll do everything I can to raise the profile. Thanks again jer, you're a true DW friend. KIS.

jer

Silver Member
My PayPal is setup for the address listed in my profile... donations can go there. I guess in the spirit of open-ness, if you are sending funds, maybe in addition to sending me the link to collect, someone could act as a "treasurer" and get an email with the details of who sent how much - along with myself, a second person to keep track of the flow, to keep things on the up and up. I can in turn report back to this thread with purchases and amounts. I will take pics and provide receipts.

Aside from determining Leo's needs, have specific products been discussed?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Superb jer. Could you do me (and the other out of date guys on this forum) a favour, please post an idiots guide to donating via your address. Making things as simple as possible is the way to go. I'm happy to act as treasurer unless someone else wants to put themselves forward. Also, if someone here knows how to put a link from this page to Leo's "my drums are old but I'm proud" thread, I'd appreciate that. Thanks, KIS.