Apparently Sweetwater has added to their product line...

Bozozoid

Silver Member
Does the school system usually pay for this?
I would guess that what I paid for having done was a lot less extensive/expensive than could be for, say, a trumpet or sax or whatever.
A lot of parents probably can't afford some of it.
Good point there felonious.

someguy01

Gold Member
Sweetwater has also been raising prices. Concept Classic bop kits went up $50 overnight. Gibraltar hardware has gone up $20-$50. I'm guessing the excuse will be supply chain but when it corrects I bet the prices don't.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
We have a local store here called Saied that sells pianos and band/orchestra instruments and supplies. The do sales, rentals, and repairs. I think they give lessons also.

The store has been in business since 1946. You cant buy rock band stuff there, but it's the only orchestral gear store in the area. Between all the schools and University, they arent going anywhere anytime soon.

Ransan

@Ransan ...do you know how I could repair this?
2 Valve Bugle (G)...missing (pin)? at rotation point.
Getzen told me this bugle is discontinued.
Just curious...Thanks
Hi felo, if Getzen says it’s disco’d you may be able to find a same used rogue rotary valve link online, or at least hone in on the specs like length, thickness to set in rotary collet.

Another option is to seek your local place and see if they can repair by part sourcing.

Now that key/rotary hybrid is a cool feature!

It looks like a thick curved arm.
I’ll help you look out as well.

Does the school system usually pay for this?
I would guess that what I paid for having done was a lot less extensive/expensive than could be for, say, a trumpet or sax or whatever.
A lot of parents probably can't afford some of it.
I read your prior post about the violin issue, that is basically strings repair 101 in a nutshell.

As for who pays, the ma and pas of goodwill have it down cold.
When a parent/student engages in a rental contract’s monthly plan, there is almost always a structure in place, for repairs no questions asked, otherwise we’d be hearing stories all day, we still did.

There’s been extremes where a full replacement was warranted.
Basically as long as instrument is still being rented and current on rent, repairs are insured so to speak.

When a house or school instrument is damaged or not working properly and repaired, those are usually billed out to the schools.

felonious69

Silver Member
I just found that bugle in the garage. (a while ago)

felonious69

Silver Member
Sweetwater has also been raising prices. Concept Classic bop kits went up $50 overnight. Gibraltar hardware has gone up $20-$50. I'm guessing the excuse will be supply chain but when it corrects I bet the prices don't.
Yeah, but as usual, their prices, excluding sales, are still about the same as everyone else's so it's not just them.
Once again, it all goes back to customer service (for me).
And, of course, the people in charge allowing the corporate satanists to reap OUR harvests...that too.

BruceW

That is incorrect. The new SE is the least profitable of their line, but Apple holds a 66% profit share in the phone market. They're the third best selling phone worldwide, but they hold the largest profit share in the market. Samsung is second at 17%.
Apple makes a mint on their products.
I was referring to the businesses that sell them. We are talking about retailers in this thread, not the manufacturers. Cell phone retailers make next to nothing when selling an iPhone. They don't make a ton on Samsung or other brands, but more than any iPhone.

If a cell phone retailer doesn't sell an accessory or service plan with an iPhone, after they pay the associate commission, the retailer might be upside down on that sale.

someguy01

Gold Member
I was referring to the businesses that sell them. We are talking about retailers in this thread, not the manufacturers. Cell phone retailers make next to nothing when selling an iPhone. They don't make a ton on Samsung or other brands, but more than any iPhone.

If a cell phone retailer doesn't sell an accessory or service plan with an iPhone, after they pay the associate commission, the retailer might be upside down on that sale.
All the more reason for Apple to take less profit. But this is America and greed is more important than anything else.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
higher prices don't necessarily equate to higher profits...there very well could be decent profit margins in school program equipment. (might not be, too, but I expect its gotta be decent else why bother adding the line)
Perhaps they are playing the long game, building brand loyalty from an early age while capturing a larger market share.
The iPhone is the least profitable cell phone on the market, for example.
But they sell a lot of them, mostly to repeat customers

felonious69

Silver Member
I just want my phone to be:
A phone-fraction calculator-answering machine-camera...maybe just a couple other things.

MrPockets

Gold Member
I've never sold instruments but I've been around them for 40 years and one thing I can't understand is how someone can call an 800 number, talk to a "sales engineer" and expect to get accurate knowledgable information about an Apollo Audio Interface and that person can recommend a clarinet?

My experience with SW would dictate that there would be separate experts for those things unless that individual had experience in both those areas.

felonious69

Silver Member
My experience with SW would dictate that there would be separate experts for those things unless that individual had experience in both those areas.
Was gonna say...I'd assume they would hire people "In the know".

Ransan

Was gonna say...I'd assume they would hire people "In the know".
If that’s what someones passion is - it is done all day, in person.

You’d be amazed at the level of instrumental AND overall musical knowledge the people I worked with garnered, some tenured upwards to 40 years, some retired local musicians, band directors.

I did sell band, orchestral, AND drums.
Though I’d look and gawk through literature as a kid, right out of H.S., it is here where I learned about continuing education.

Continuing to educate myself primarily in drums since working there back in 2001-04, I’m no expert and wayyy far from it.

Drums we carried DW, Gretsch, Pearl, Premier, Yamaha, Roland, guitars we carried Gibson, Martin, Fender.

Our floors didn’t just have entry level stuff.
We had full lines of Zildjian, Paiste, and Sabian, where I first fell in love with a 16” Paiste Alpha crystal crash with the block tapered bell.

Some memorable kits on hand were a cherry to black fade 6 piece exotic DW that was retailing for close to $7k, beautiful ebony satin oil with black hardware 4 piece DW that was so gorgeous yet looked so mean, dark red Premier Signia, couple of Genistas including the cobalt blue, RCs, SCs.
We had the $6k Roland V drums, also where I picked up my V-Club e-kit.

Saturdays were always lively at our music store, we had anything from cats coming in first thing in the morning (opened at 9) to talk about gigs and performances the night before, to band directors drinking coffee waiting for repairs, large pick orders, or just hanging out.
During football season since we were open on Saturdays, we had a teachers rolling tv cart that would be rolled up towards the front for games galore to liven things up as well.

Last edited:

Ransan

If that’s what someones passion is - it is done all day.

You’d be amazed at the level of instrumental AND overall musical knowledge the people I worked with garnered, some tenured upwards to 40 years, some retired local musicians, band directors.

I did sell band, orchestral, AND drums.
Continuing to educate myself primarily in drums, I’m no expert though.

Drums we carried DW, Gretsch, Pearl, Premier, Yamaha, Roland, guitars we carried Gibson, Martin, Fender.

Our floors didn’t just have entry level stuff.
We had full lines of Zildjian, Paiste, and Sabian, where I first fell in love with a 16” Paiste Alpha crystal crash with the block tapered bell.

Some memorable kits on hand were a cherry to black fade 6 piece exotic DW that was retailing for close to $7k, beautiful ebony satin oil with black hardware 4 piece DW that was so gorgeous yet looked so mean, dark red Premier Signia, couple of Genistas including the cobalt blue, RCs, SCs.
We had the $6k Roland V drums, also where I picked up my V-Club e-kit.

Saturdays were always lively at our music store, we had anything from cats coming in first thing in the morning (opened at 9) to talk about gigs and performances the night before, to band directors drinking coffee waiting for repairs, large pick orders, or just hanging out.
During football season since we were open on Saturdays, we had a teachers rolling tv cart that would be rolled up towards the front for games galore to liven things up as well.
I will piggyback to my comment to say, it’s most likely a departmentalized sales team within that division I.e.. woodwind, strings dept., brass department.

Still over the phone will be no easy task to field band and orchestral clients, much less online.

felonious69

Silver Member
Knowledge is good. Before here (a year and a half ago) I was completely clueless regarding anything drums.
Thanks again, DWF!

SpazApproved

our only local music store is still technically open but they no longer sell musical instruments like drums and guitars... they are only a school instrument store now. They sell and rent to schools and students and do repairs etc.

felonious69

Silver Member
They have electric violins!!!!!!!! And Chellos!!!!