Apollo Drums

HUdrummer

Does anybody know anything about Apollo drums. My friends said he would sell a 5 peice kit with a wood finish for 20-40 bucks! does anybody know anything about these drums. They look to be vintage!

M

mediocrefunkybeat

60's Japanese Import kits. Which can vary in quality from awful to 'actually pretty good'. A lot of the old Japanese kits are very similar so it's really your call to decide if they're worth it or not.

Personally, I'd take a look and work out if they could be a 'project' kit to mess around with, by refinishing or generally overhauling. If they're in round, I'd consider it.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

No picture here. Try using the forum upload form rather than an external server.

Timekeep69

No Pic here either.

A complete kit for $20-$40? You can't really go wrong with that. If they look decent, snag em.

Evilbagua

Silver Member
Why would you not buy this? 40$ is a steal. You could easily re-sell it for more, and the heads in the pic look decent even.

Wick

Set looks good!
Kind of a small picture, but from what I see, it looks good.
Obviously play it before you buy it.

uniongoon

Gold Member
I think i remember an add in modern drummer from around 1980, it was hilarious

Drums with the big beat and dynamic sound built with the finest plywood in our 1350 square foot factory.

i wish i still had that add, it was the best!

Chaos_Inferno

Silver Member
if you're looking for something to beat on and little more go for these. My friend has one of these kits and it's been beaten to death, but was shoddy to begin with.

Like I said, if you're looking for something to beat on... go for it. 20 bucks is absolutely nothing.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Worse that could happen is you turn the floor tom into a waste paper basket. I use my Star 14x14 for one. $40 ... buy it.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The hardware is worth way more than that. Buy some new shell from Keller and build a set using that hardware.

And happy birthday soon. Mine is the 16th

HUdrummer

Thank you guys! Im probly gunna buy it, but just curious how much is the resale on it? its in nearly perfect condition! my friend who is selling it said its never been played once! so I probly end up selling it later on for a kit that would be better for metal genres of music. im sure this kit wouldnt really work for like metalcore.

M

mediocrefunkybeat

That's the thing though. You may very well find a use for it.

Last year, I was given a set of old Pearl Exports that were structurally sound if a little battered and old. I took some of the shells, gave them a refinish, fiddled with the hardware (which needs doing again, actually) and made myself a kit with a 16" bass drum to use at University. I actually just got back from playing that kit at a rehearsal and it's just a great thing to have around. I love it!

Don't get hung up on what you can and can't do with it. Take the kit and think of the possibilities.

HUdrummer

Thanks for the advice, Im also wondering about the sizes, especially the bass drum. im thinking its a 20/16 but im not sure. Any ideas? also I still would like to know the resale price just in case i want to sell it.

HUdrummer

Check out the link belwo for an older Apollo brochure.

http://www.drumarchive.com/Apollo/

Jim
THanks for the link! just curious im sure the kit now is worth more than $265, beccause first of all the value of money has changed since then ( like 1c bubble gum, or 10c gallon of gas, ext) and also its an antique sorta thing, also i would include a foot pedal, hihat stand, snare stand, cymbal stand, and 13' Paiste PST3 hihats, and a Paiste PST3 18' crash/ride. If I were to sell this on ebay how much should i start the bids on and how much should i but a buy it now for?