Anything new in thrones?

Spreggy

Silver Member
Has anything earth-shattering happened lately? I have a Tama First Chair with the shock absorber, and it's pretty good. But before I spring for the over-priced backrest to add onto it, I thought I'd see if there is some other must-have throne that I should look at first. Anything new out there, or a throne that rules them all? Backrest required.
Thanks!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
My first choice for mass produced seats is a Pork Pie big boy drum throne with a Roc-n-Soc backrest added to it. I own two, and I love both.

I would love to get a Sound Seat, but those things are priced at a premium, but I don't know if there's a better seat out there.

1591893246747.jpeg

notvinnie

Pearl released some new thrones at NAMM, but they're not available anywhere yet. I really liked them and will be picking one up as soon as I can.
Following three years of exhaustive research and development, Pearl’s professional Roadster thrones have been updated to give drummers the right support where it is needed most.

The difference lies in each Multi-Core throne top. Using multiple layers of varied density foam that wrap around the surface of the cushion, Multi-Core’s ergonomic design and computer-tempered surface provides support to ease joint pressure during long sessions.

Models include the D3500 Multi-Core saddle-style throne (available solo or with a fully adjustable backrest,) round cushion Multi-Core models with shaping peaks to ease pressure, and the revolutionary D1500TGL Trilateral Gas Lift throne, which delivers the feel of both round and saddle cushions depending on how they are mounted by the drummer.

The D1500S Throne will adjust to the lowest seated position of any current Roadster model.

BACKRESTAccepts Optional DTBR1535 Backrest
LOCK/SPIN SYSTEMReversible StopLock allows cushion to be secured in place or free
spinning depending on preference.
CUSHION15" Vented Round Seat
HEIGHT RANGE Height Range of 445-615mm

cbphoto

Gold Member
I have a Tama ergo hydraulic with backrest. Just FYI, the backrest is more of a backstop. It’s a smallish padded roll that can be positioned up/down, fore/aft. It’s not a big plush Lay-z-boy thing. It’s gotta be placed where it’s best for you. I’ve used it for over 10 years and find that it really helps prevent fatigue by keeping my back straight.

drumnut87

Pearl released some new thrones at NAMM, but they're not available anywhere yet. I really liked them and will be picking one up as soon as I can.

i hope they improved the cast metal quality, *ALMOST* every pearl throne ive ever owned has cracked at the part where the screw-thread meets the base. and its not jsut me it happened to either, another lad has an old-model pearl 2000 series quad base, and his has cracked in the same place.

cbphoto

Gold Member
i hope they improved the cast metal quality, *ALMOST* every pearl throne ive ever owned has cracked at the part where the screw-thread meets the base. and its not jsut me it happened to either, another lad has an old-model pearl 2000 series quad base, and his has cracked in the same place.
Before i bought my Tama throne, i had a Gibraltar throne which broke in that same place five times. Fortunately they provide a lifetime warranty "with receipt", which i had. After the fifth break the owner, a woman, contested that i was being rough with it. It never left my basement. I gave it to a high school kid and bought the Tama. No problems since.

wraub

I'm using a Gibraltar base with a Roc n Soc/Gibraltar seat, and I am so beyond pleased... if it all dies tomorrow, I'd look for the same again.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I debated a new throne for a while. Had the Roc-n-Soc saddle type and kept debating the backrest. Ended up with the Roc-n-Soc round hydraulic with no backrest and couldn't be happier. The center dip helps me sit up nice and straight and takes the pressure off. Less was way more in my case.