Anyone with experience with DW's "HVX Maple" shells? [OR WOODY HUGE snares in general]

justinxIP

Not sure if it's just a gimmicky way of marketing a slightly lower quality blend of wood. How does it compare to other DW lines?

Ran into it because I've been looking for a higher end snare that's as woody as it gets at the 8x14 size. DW's performance series with HVX Maple is set at 400 right now which seems relatively reasonable for DW? That's what alarms me haha.

Anyone with any info or any other suggestions to look into, I appreciate it all.

Texan

Justin,

The HVX is simply grain orientation that provides a lower fundamental pitch. I am sure they are using the same American maple plies they use with their Collector's Series.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
I have a performance series in 5.5x14 and it sounds great. That 8" depth should sound amazing, probably a very nice deep/fat sound!

Here's an explanation of the HVX technology, it's not cheaper wood it's how the plies are assembled. The difference between the collectors series and the performance is the fact the performance series colors, shells and hardware are set where as the collectors series is completely customizable.

http://www.dwdrums.com/drums/performance/shells.asp

M

Matt Bo Eder

Here's an explanation of the HVX technology, it's not cheaper wood it's how the plies are assembled. The difference between the collectors series and the performance is the fact the performance series colors, shells and hardware are set where as the collectors series is completely customizable.

http://www.dwdrums.com/drums/performance/shells.asp
But how come they have this cheaper look when compared to Collector's? You could theoretically limit yourself to certain sizes and finishes in the Collector's series and still spend way more money than you will on a Performance, so it can't be that, right?

konaboy

Pioneer Member
But how come they have this cheaper look when compared to Collector's? You could theoretically limit yourself to certain sizes and finishes in the Collector's series and still spend way more money than you will on a Performance, so it can't be that, right?
My understanding is that's the difference. Preset finishes, hardware and shell construction.

When you say cheaper what are you referring to? The finishes are amazing, I actually prefer the smaller turret lugs compared to the collectors series. I have a collectors series snare and the performance one. Finish wise and looks the quality is the same.

Rotarded

I have the 6.5x14 Performance series snare and it has surprised me from day one. It's a cannon with remarkable warm resonance. It stays in rotation with my 400 Supraphonic, and Black Beauty.

M

Matt Bo Eder

My understanding is that's the difference. Preset finishes, hardware and shell construction.

When you say cheaper what are you referring to? The finishes are amazing, I actually prefer the smaller turret lugs compared to the collectors series. I have a collectors series snare and the performance one. Finish wise and looks the quality is the same.
I was being sarcastic ;)

But I've never tried the Performance or Design series - I've always played the Collectors stuff. Maybe the bigger lugs fool me into thinking it's more robust and therefore, "better" (or something). Pearl stuff aside, ever since I saw the early DW drums in the late 70s, I've always been a fan - even before then when it was Camco. I'm sure the Performance stuff is outstanding - my local Sam Ash has a 8x14 steel Performance snare on the floor that I did get a chance to play with, and it didn't disappoint, but my ears were leaning towards the 6.5x14 Collectors black-nickel-over-brass snare at the time.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Good timing on this thread. I just played around on a 6.5x14 performance snare and it impressed the hell out of me. I generally don't care for the DW wood snares, but this one sounded great. It had more tone at medium tunings than I remember getting out of a collectors maple of the same size. It seemed well built all around too.