Anyone with experience combining Agean R Series low volume cymbals with RTOM Black holes?

DuckSoup

I'm on a mission to find a low-ish volume (Not completely quiet) acoustic setup while maintaining the feel and sound of a real kit. I'm in a basement and trying to keep the sound away from my neighbor and minimize what's heard in the house. My acoustic kid as is can be heard from their backyard which I'm trying to eliminate.

My research has led me to the Agean R Series low volume cymbals for their realistic tone, and the RTOM Black Holes for tone and feel.

Both seem like great products by themselves, but anyone here have any experience with them together? My concern is the cymbals being too loud for the RTOM's, but since I have no way of testing any of these products locally, I want to ask others who may have used these products.

Alternatively I could use the Zildjian L80's with the RTOM's, but I cannot stand the sound of those cymbals....

IBitePrettyHard

Of all the quiet cymbals out there, the Agean R Series sounds the best by far. But they're also the loudest. They're made of B20 Bronze which is probably why they sound so good.

The problem I have with playing RTOMs and L80s (or any other quiet cymbals) is that the cymbals are always louder than the pads. Always.

I have yet to hear a quiet cymbals/drums combo that sounds balanced with itself. This may or may not be a problem for you, but I'm super picky about internal dynamics on the kit.

@DuckSoup

DuckSoup

I'm kind of picky about it as well, so it sounds like the Ageans and RTOM's might not work well together.

I reached out to Drum-tec and they actually suggested their own line of mesh heads (Which I've heard good things about) and they even suggested that you still will get that accoustic sound with the resonant head. I'm going to research that a bit more, but welcome any feedback others have on their pro line or real feel line for acoustic drums.

My understanding of the Ageans is that they are louder but not so loud that my neighbors could hear it. Wondering if anyone else has feedback on that, but I know everyone's situation is different.

IBitePrettyHard

I'm kind of picky about it as well, so it sounds like the Ageans and RTOM's might not work well together.

I reached out to Drum-tec and they actually suggested their own line of mesh heads (Which I've heard good things about) and they even suggested that you still will get that accoustic sound with the resonant head. I'm going to research that a bit more, but welcome any feedback others have on their pro line or real feel line for acoustic drums.

My understanding of the Ageans is that they are louder but not so loud that my neighbors could hear it. Wondering if anyone else has feedback on that, but I know everyone's situation is different.
I've been slowly researching all the questions you're asking over the past few years. The problem with mesh heads is they don't feel real. It's that simple. These companies may say they feel real, but they don't. Now, if you're a maniac that plays hard and you're not concerned about feel, then it may not bother you as much. But I'm very sensitive to touch and feel, and I prefer a tactile feedback and realistic rebound.

I've always wanted to try an experiment with Remo Silentstroke heads by putting a Remo Falam slam pad in the middle. I think that could give them a little more volume (and a more realistic feel). That's essentially what the RTOMs have done, and that's why I think they're the best option out of all the silent pads. Perhaps an additional Remo Falam pad on top would make them even louder?

I think a larger Falam pad would be best. The 4" slam pads, not the 2.5". Yikes on the shipping cost of that one though. Maybe this double pedal pad would be better? It's more surface area, I think it would be.

Last edited:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
If you don't need things to be quick to put on and take off then the Drum-Tec heads are probably much better.

If I had a dedicated kit I'd certainly go that route for sure. Just understand that the closer yo get to a real head in actual performance, the louder it will be. Even those heads are not all the same.

There are comparison videos on youtube with db meters and such.